B-57B Avionics

hobo9

No INS or doppler nav radar that's for sure.  I remember seeing somewhere that it did have a dead reckoning computer along with at least one gyro compass.  It should also have had an ADF radio, VHF and maybe even an HF radio.  Not sure if TACAN was around at that time.

Later,

Dave

4 hours ago, hobo9 said:

Hi,

From the mid to late Fifties, what avionics would have been installed in the B-57B?

Thank you,

P.N.

P.N.

I've not forgotten the check list! Now, that is a very big question, really you need to say which model and time frame. The B.57A was very basic, then the RB.57A had a bit more kit, but also mission specific equipment, the EB.57A were different again, the same goes for the B's C's and E's the G had all the whistles and bells that they could fit in, the D's diferd a lot depending on group and mission, as did/does the RB/WB.57F's, the Patrica Lynn RB.57E also differd to some extent depending on mission. If you say a 1950's B.57B or a 1970' EB.57B/E then it would be easier!

John

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You could try and P/M Canberra kid, he's the head of the IPMS Canberra sig. If anyone knows it would be him. 

O.K. Thanks

9 hours ago, e8n2 said:

No INS or doppler nav radar that's for sure.  I remember seeing somewhere that it did have a dead reckoning computer along with at least one gyro compass.  It should also have had an ADF radio, VHF and maybe even an HF radio.  Not sure if TACAN was around at that time.

Later,

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for your reply,

Cheers,

P.N.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:10 AM, canberra kid said:

P.N.

I've not forgotten the check list! Now, that is a very big question, really you need to say which model and time frame. The B.57A was very basic, then the RB.57A had a bit more kit, but also mission specific equipment, the EB.57A were different again, the same goes for the B's C's and E's the G had all the whistles and bells that they could fit in, the D's diferd a lot depending on group and mission, as did/does the RB/WB.57F's, the Patrica Lynn RB.57E also differd to some extent depending on mission. If you say a 1950's B.57B or a 1970' EB.57B/E then it would be easier!

John

On 7/19/2019 at 3:10 AM, canberra kid said:

P.N.

John

John,
Thank you again for your reply.
I put together a list of possible inclusion to the B-57B avionic fits and would like to ask for your informative opinion regarding the installation of these electronics in the 1954-1959 timeframe for tactical bomber units only.
GOOGLE and various web pages dealing with B-57B avionics, confirm that all the items below did indeed fall into the 1954-1959 time period. But were any or all fitted in the "B" model? If you care to comment on my post, please add or delete any items which, in your opinion are, or are not, relevant.

Martin B-57B Avionics (Tactical Bomb Groups 1954-1959)

AN/ARC-27A UHF radio set, for air to-air and air-to-ground communications.
AN/AIC-10 Intercommunication Set
AN/APX-6 IFF Transponder
AN/APN-59 Search and Weather Radar
AN/APW-11-A Radar Bombing Guidance System
AN/APA-90 Indicator Group; used with AN/APW-11-A 
AN/APS-54 Tail Warning Radar
AN/ARN-21 Tactical Air Navigation (TACAN)     
MA-2 LABS Low Altitude Bombing System
A-1CM or A-4 Gun Sight used together with AN/APG-30 or 31 gun ranging radar 
AN/ARN-6 Radio Compass
AN/APG-30/31 Airborne, Radar Fire Control System. Used together with A-1CM or A-4 gunsight.
LEAR F-5 or L-10 Autopilot (can be coupled together with gun sight and ranging radar)
AN/ARA-25 Automatic Direction Finder
ILS Instrument Landing System
AN/ARN-12 VHF Radio Beacon used with ILS
AN/ALE-2 Chaff Dispenser, used with AN/APS-54

B-57B Tactical Bombing models 1954-1959 only.

Thank you again for your consideration,

P.N.

Edited by hobo9
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:08 AM, hobo9 said:

Hi,

From the mid to late Fifties, what avionics would have been installed in the B-57B?

Thank you,

P.N.

P.N. I need to email some things to you.

John

Edited by canberra kid
Typo

On 7/19/2019 at 12:26 PM, Finn said:

Jari,

Thanks for the link. Definitely some good info in there.

Thanks again,

P.N.