This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

bentwaters81tfw

Top Gun 2 trailer released.

It'll be rubbish but I'll go to see it....Might even seek out a 4K version...

My wife’s dying for this to come out, no idea why.

Steve.

Top Gun meets Westworld

Trevor

Beat me to it...

flight scenes look spectacular, hopefully not too much cgi.

cheers

Will

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to start thi thread, but this highly anticipated trailer dropped yesterday at the San Diego Comicon.....

I'll admit...I am a little excited to see this.. The visuals for the F/A18 Super Hornets look superb!

Tomcat?  Well plenty of movies and TV still use sweepings off the Battle of Britain cutting room floor, I imagine there would have been a lot of film left over from TG1?

I was more thinking what’s their explanation going to be for having a flying Tomcat in the movie at all? Mav’s been keeping one tucked away in a hangar, dusting it down occasionally, and now it’s the only plane that can do the job, whatever the job turns out to be..?

best,

M.

It looks like a combination of the original TG movie, that wierd Stealth movie, and a Mission Impossible all wrapped into one package. I read someone else's comments that I think hit it home more, was that it looks to be more plot driven and not character driven like the first one which is going to be a major mistake.

Gents, how about spending 30 seconds having a quick look for:

1. Previous posts regarding the same topic.

2. The correct area to post it in.  

Its polite, keeps the forum tidy and keeps us happy.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I thought all the Tomcats that didn't go to Museums were chopped up for scrap ? Something about the Bush or Obama Whitehouse's not wanting parts getting to Iran ? If so that plane is either left over from the first film, or CGI ? If I'm wrong and there are still Tomcats that would be good to know ? As for the movie i will be going to see it on the big screen probably the one movie i will see on a screen next year. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I thought all the Tomcats that didn't go to Museums were chopped up for scrap ? Something about the Bush or Obama Whitehouse's not wanting parts getting to Iran ? If so that plane is either left over from the first film, or CGI ? If I'm wrong and there are still Tomcats that would be good to know ? As for the movie i will be going to see it on the big screen probably the one movie i will see on a screen next year. 

Dennis

https://theaviationist.com/2019/06/14/we-got-some-walkaround-photos-of-the-f-14-tomcat-used-for-the-filming-of-top-gun-maverick/

Posted (edited)

I hate to brake this to you lads BUT, if you take a closer look to the trailer you will notice that besides the scenes with Tom Cruise on the back seat, the rest are CGIs (including the Tomcat).

For instance, the Super Hornet flying 10 feet off the ground or, the three-aircraft formation.

Apart from this, like Zach (Whiskey) said this movie is a combination of previous movies and it is more plot driven and less character driven like the first one.

Edited by Shalako

I’m really looking forward to next year in terms of films coming out. 

Top Gun 2, Ghostbusters 3 and Bill and Ted 3 all out in 2020 :)

All 3 have the potential to be big letdowns but that won’t stop me watching sequels to some of my favourite films from my childhood 

That doesn't look to bad and if the plot's as simple as the first film i don't see much that can go wrong,i'll definately give it a look....

@Shalako Actually I believe the background constitutes more CGI than the actual aerial footage of the aircraft. As in they filmed the Hornets flying through Star Wars Canyon and replaced the background with snow covered mountains instead, filmed a Hornet on the deck and brought it closer using computer effects, etc. The Tomcat in flight is of course CGI, there's no way around that. However I would venture to say that a vast majority of aerial footage involving the F/A-18 is actual aircraft doing the work.

It may sound corny but I still think one of the best modern aviation films, the parts that still had flying in it, was the first Behind Enemy Lines. The aerial photography was awesome involving the Super Hornet and only the last couple moments was CGI.