1/72nd Phantom FG.1, XV574,'B', 43 Sqn, 1970, Leuchars. ***FINISHED***29/09/2019

DaveyGair

Been given the go ahead to do my abandoned Phantom I started in last years '60's NATO/Warsaw Pact' GB.

Got as far as assembling the main wing (doing an 'in-flight' aircraft, not done this since I was a kid!), and some cockpit bits.

I obtained a set of pilots by PJ Products and a pack of Eduard AIM-9D's.  I'm aware the RAF used G's around this period and that the D's are externally similar. Also the subject is an often seen photo of XV574 shadowing a Soviet 'Bear', using Xtradecal, erm….. decals.

The main thing I have to do is shave off the Electronics whatsit's fairing from the tail-fin, hopefully it'll turn out OK.

Hopefully will get on with this in the next week or so, last few things to finish off to our house extension we've just had done, carpet going in next week and bringing the rest of the household 'wares' down from upstairs! 

The last shot is a bit blurred, the auto-focus on my camera is knackered!

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

After not doing any modelling for a couple of months thought I'd get on with this. 

I've hacked away at the tail to be rid of the electronics fairing, just need to decide if I need to reduce the height of the tailfin or not. I'm not that much up on the technicalities of the Phantom, just always liked the aircraft.  I've studied loads of photo's online but maybe one of you RAF F-4 aficionado's can help?

Jusst test fitting the cockpit and pilots in the seats, nothing is glued yet. The pilots need a bit of trimming to seat a bit lower but look the part (or will once painted!)

DSC_0004 DSC_0003 DSC_0001

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I've hacked away at the tail to be rid of the electronics fairing, just need to decide if I need to reduce the height of the tailfin or not. I'm not that much up on the technicalities of the Phantom, just always liked the aircraft.  I've studied loads of photo's online but maybe one of you RAF F-4 aficionado's can help?

This is what i used when i built my FG.1. 

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/2014/05/differences-between-phantom-fg1-and-fgr2.html?m=1

Im not 100% sure but looks like they just removed the original cap and mounted the RWR Cap in its place. I think your good on the height thing. 

Dennis

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This is what i used when i built my FG.1. 

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/2014/05/differences-between-phantom-fg1-and-fgr2.html?m=1

Im not 100% sure but looks like they just removed the original cap and mounted the RWR Cap in its place. I think your good on the height thing. 

Dennis

Excellent, cheers Dennis, just the job.

👍

Davey.

• Like 1

A bit of work done on the Phantom this weekend.  I just did a rough work over with black paint on the instrument/control consoles and a bit of a dry brush with aluminium/white mix just to pick out the detail. Not much will be seen through the (very clear) closed canopy, it'll do me.

The airframe has gone together superbly, just a touch of filler in a couple of sink marks, nothing on the main wing joins.

Just got to clean up the joins around the rear wing to fuselage joins, add the intake trunking and make good the joins, paint the crew and seats, add the canopy and we'll be ready for some paint I think.

Going to paint the tail-planes separately before adding them.

I've knocked off a couple of aerials in the process, and if you look carefully, one of the crew has lost a leg, but he will make a full recovery ready to mount his steed!

DSC_0004 DSC_0003 DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update.  The intakes are on, maybe some blending in of the joins required, I'll know better when I get a bit of undercoat on.

Done my best with the cockpit and pilots, got a bit shakey in the hands recently!

Nearly time for paint!

Davey

DSC_0003 DSC_0007 DSC_0008

• Like 4

Got some paint on today!

Decided to use Xtracylic which I'm still unsure about.  It sprayed Ok with little clogging (I just go with the instructions but add 10-15% acrylic paint thinner instead of water), most of it seemed to go OK but parts are a little rough looking, maybe have to rub down a little with wet and dry.  I spray up in the loft which was an ideal temperature today.

Anyway, just have to do the radome and bare metal bits and nozzles. I had to fix some overspray on the green (I never seem to mask everything properly!) and still have to fix a bit of overspray below the intakes.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 4

Looking good so far Davey. Good job with the xtracrylic, not an easy paint to work with but a good finish if you get it right.

Cheers Allan

On 8/31/2019 at 11:44 PM, almac said:

Looking good so far Davey. Good job with the xtracrylic, not an easy paint to work with but a good finish if you get it right.

Cheers Allan

On 9/1/2019 at 12:07 AM, stevej60 said:

Looking great Davey,superb work.

Thank you both. Allan, I'm far too impatient to persevere getting really good finishes like a lot of builds I see on here. Since coming back to the hobby a few years ago I'm just happy to achieve a reasonable result and hopefully improve next time. This one, like most of my builds, wouldn't stand close scrutiny as I don't spend enough time dealing with joins, etc. But I'm happy with what I've done so far!

I think the thing with this paint is it's supposed to dry with a Gloss finish, the effect I achieve is somewhere in between that and Matt so I don't know if I'm not building up enough coats. Still got to work on this paint.

Got a coat of Klear on, by brush as I've never had good results airbrushing the stuff!  Then got the decals on today.  The main markings are from the Xtradecal sheet (the roundel and checkerboard on the intakes look a bit big to me, but I'll go with it). Warning triangles, 'rescue' signs, 'no walk' signs(not so sure they are correct colour for this aircraft?) and the nose markings are from the Fujimi sheet. I have many other thing to interest me, and actually have a life outside of modelling to be bothered with all the stencils !!

The bare Aluminium rear end has to be weathered and darkened in places, nozzles added, then the final varnish coat, I think a Satin/Gloss mix with maybe Matting down of the fuselage around the engines. Then just got to mount the pylons weapons that I yet to paint.

Nearly there.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 2

Ok folks, slowly getting there!

Put on some Silk and Matt varnish to flatten the Gloss down a bit, maybe a bit too matt though but am happy with it as it is.

Still got the nozzles and weapons to do, oh, and replace the aerial/probe/air-data receiver I broke off on the tail fin leading edge.

I had a fiddle around to see how I might display it, using a cheap photo-frame and some 5mm Acrylic rod.  Also somehow managed to organise and print off something to go on the base (my computer skills are next to ZERO!)  It may look better on Glossy Photo type paper though, we have some somewhere 🤔.

I also really need to organise something better to take photographs against.

Nearly ready for the gallery 😀.

DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 4

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72nd Phantom FG.1, XV574,'B', 43 Sqn, 1970, Leuchers. ***FINISHED***29/09/2019

Got this finished today. Reasonably pleased with the result. I managed to drop the thing a couple of times and mark the canopy in several places, tried polishing parts of it, but not perfect. 

I nearly scrapped the Eduard Sidewinder's, it's a good job you get spare etch fins! There was no way I was going to apply those tiny decals either, something for the dedicated to do!

Thanks for the comments and the to the Host's for running this GB, here's on to the next one!

Davey.

First couple of photo's with flash, weather bad outside!

DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0009

• Like 3

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72nd Phantom FG.1, XV574,'B', 43 Sqn, 1970, Leuchars. ***FINISHED***29/09/2019