Original photo's of Sinners Green1 ME262?

SeaVenom

I'm building Tamiya's 1/48 kit and doing Rudolf Sinners aircraft but I can't find many black and white original photo's to check if Tamiya got the scheme correct apart from these few photo's ...........

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/tamiya-1-48-messerschmitt-me-262a-1a-61087-t28402.html

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/348364-new-modifications-me-262-a-1-with-rockets-21-cm-wgr-21/

I especially want to find photio's of Sinners first Green 1 aircraft (the one in Tamiyas instructions) to see if they've got the tail markings correct.  I can only find the above photo's which don't show the tail area like this one.....  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/themixmonkey/Models/1303670335_rr_262.jpg

The one with the white swastika is Sinners later aircraft (the non Tamiya scheme) where the dark green stripes point backwards.  

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Me-262/JG7/pages/Messerschmitt-Me-262A1a-Stab-III.JG7-((+I-Blue-1-Rudolf-Sinner-Parchim-Mar-1945-01.html

Edited by SeaVenom

Luftwaffe im Focus Spezial No2 has a feature on Rudi Sinners striped Me262s (pp22-25). The article acknowledges that the tail area on the scheme you are after is not pictured on any photographs in the public domain. In the feature in LiF, Axel Urbanke states that Jerry Crandall's painting of this 262 has conjectural markings for the rear fuselage and tail with Blue/Red RVD bands and an all-white Hakenkreuz, but that this conjecture is based on 'available information'. The article uses two of the pictures you have supplied above. Urbanke highlights that the second striped machine (without the mortar tubes and with reversed stripes) is confirmed by photographs as having an all-white Hakenkreuz but also a black outlined vertical bar (III Gruppe) on the JG7 RVD bands, which are also confirmed as present. Urbanke suggests that, in the absence of pictures, that 'it is logical to assume that the aircraft with the rocket armament also wore this Gruppe bar'. This reasoning makes sense to me, given Sinner's status as GruppenKommandeur. So that may need adding to the markings you are considering.

Hope this helps (a bit)

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
Correct mis-spellings
  • Thanks 1

A little more information...

I was a little sceptical about the all-white Hakenkreuz being used on both Me262s, as it struck me that this wasn't a particularly common form of the marking. So, off I went to my books to check on other JG7 machines. Many used a white-outlined insignia but there were  other airframes with the same all-white version. Yellow 7 W Nr 111180 at Fassberg and Green 3 (also with rockets and also from the Stab of JG7 are two examples.

However, while looking for these pictures, I stumbled on a photo that I was previously unaware of on p544 of Me262 Volume 3 by Smith and Creek (Classic Publications Marden Hill 2000). It appears above the photo of Sinner's striped rocket-armed Green 1, and is a bit grainy, but the caption states 'It is thought that these aircraft are the same as those in the photo below but prior to acceptance by JG7'. The photo shows the other side of an apparently striped camouflage finished Me262. To my eye the stripes appear to line up with the picture we know if we accept that the stripes are painted across the top of the fuselage so their direction appears reversed on the starboard side. Crucially this picture shows all of the rear fuselage and tail area. No RVD bands (but not surprising if this is prior to JG7 service) but a black Hakenkreuz with a white outline.

Link posted for the purpose of research/study - I cannot get the picture to link directly! Grrrrr...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157527966@N03/48328589017/in/dateposted-public/

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
Vain attempt to insert picture URL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Link posted for the purpose of research/study - I cannot get the picture to link directly! Grrrrr...

48328589017_aa126b63d9_o.jpgMe 262 striped StabJG7 by Michael Conway, on Flickr

you need to use the BBcode option on the share button,  just copy and paste that in.... which is what I just did.

• Thanks 1

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:46, Troy Smith said:

Me 262 striped StabJG7

you need to use the BBcode option on the share button,  just copy and paste that in.... which is what I just did.

Thanks very much Troy; that must be the only option I didn't try!

Much appreciated; as a way of saying thanks I just perused your 'wants' list and can offer you some Cutting Edge Do335 French markings? Gratis. Just PM me and I can get them in the post for you.

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

A little more information...

I was a little sceptical about the all-white Hakenkreuz being used on both Me262s, as it struck me that this wasn't a particularly common form of the marking. So, off I went to my books to check on other JG7 machines. Many used a white-outlined insignia but there were  other airframes with the same all-white version. Yellow 7 W Nr 111180 at Fassberg and Green 3 (also with rockets and also from the Stab of JG7 are two examples.

However, while looking for these pictures, I stumbled on a photo that I was previously unaware of on p544 of Me262 Volume 3 by Smith and Creek (Classic Publications Marden Hill 2000). It appears above the photo of Sinner's striped rocket-armed Green 1, and is a bit grainy, but the caption states 'It is thought that these aircraft are the same as those in the photo below but prior to acceptance by JG7'. The photo shows the other side of an apparently striped camouflage finished Me262. To my eye the stripes appear to line up with the picture we know if we accept that the stripes are painted across the top of the fuselage so their direction appears reversed on the starboard side. Crucially this picture shows all of the rear fuselage and tail area. No RVD bands (but not surprising if this is prior to JG7 service) but a black Hakenkreuz with a white outline.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157527966@N03/48328589017/in/dateposted-public/

SD

Thanks and great info.   As usual what I thought would be straightforward (as I thought Tamiya had done their homework)  isn't so straightforward.   I should've checked first.   I was going to do the second aircraft but because I couldn't find any phpto's of the right side of the aircraft I wasn't sure how to do the stripes/camouflage etc (hence me doing Tamiya's version).

I'm wondering whether to scrap this scheme now and do another one.   Another simple more documented scheme though that doesn't require an airbrush and a scheme that has the white Hakenkreuz.

Edited by SeaVenom
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I was going to do the second aircraft but because I couldn't find any phpto's of the right side of the aircraft I wasn't sure how to do the stripes/camouflage etc (hence me doing Tamiya's version).

I'm wondering whether to scrap this scheme now and do another one.   Another simple more documented scheme though that doesn't require an airbrush and a scheme that has the white Hakenkreuz.

I would encourage you to stick with either of the striped colour schemes. I believe the picture I highlighted shows that the stripes were applied across the fuselage so that, if viewed from above, they continue in the same direction. Rather like the Ferris F4s. The second (non-mortar equipped) airframe seems better documented in that you can be confident of the markings because the port side of the entire airframe is known photographically.

SD

On 7/21/2019 at 8:30 AM, SafetyDad said:

I would encourage you to stick with either of the striped colour schemes. I believe the picture I highlighted shows that the stripes were applied across the fuselage so that, if viewed from above, they continue in the same direction. Rather like the Ferris F4s. The second (non-mortar equipped) airframe seems better documented in that you can be confident of the markings because the port side of the entire airframe is known photographically.

SD

I wish I'd started doing Sinners 2nd machine now.   I started the first machine (I've already painted the stripes) as again I thought Tamiya had it correct and there were more photo's etc of it......but the 2nd machine probably has better reference as we can see all the fuselage.    Plus for some reason a while back I didn't add the mortars.

Tamiya's instructions say to paint it light green AS23    https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=427580&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYH359HM4wIVyLTtCh04hgzIEAYYASABEgLl__D_BwE

and dark green AS24 for the stripes.   https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray-aircraft/as-24-dark-green-german-air/

Do you know if those colours are correct?   In my Scale Aircraft Modelling issue Nov 2017 there's a feature on Luftwaffe colours.   There's a chart and it shows light green as RLM 82 RAL 6003 and dark green as RLM 83.   Both of those colours in SAM look wrong to me.   The light green looks way too greyish and dark and the dark green looks too brownish and light, whereas there's also a diagram of RLM 82 B567 bright green which looks more like Tamiya's light green.  

Edited by SeaVenom

Ooooh, the minefield of late war Luftwaffe greens!

There are a number of recognised variants of 81 and also of 82. 

See here for example http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/luftwaffe/colors.html.

However do bear in mind that the most recent research by Michael Ullmann indicates that RLM83 is now thought to be blue for overwater use, and the green hues previously ascribed to 83 are in fact further variants of 81 and 82. Research is not conclusive, paint samples vary between authors and publications, and you can add the effects of late war destruction and disruption of manufacturing facilities into the mix (literally!) as well. The text below the colour table above is very informative on the gaps remaining in our knowledge.

So the photos only take us so far in the determination of the colours used. Interpreting colours from monochrome pictures is not a precise science and is prone to error. What you do have here as a guide is the contrast between the two colours used, and that is some help.

If I were making the model, I would be guided by some of the more authoritative artwork and the colours the artists have used. The Claes Sundin profile for example in your WarThunder link above, or Jerry Crandall's painting. For me it would be bright green and (more likely) dark green, rather than the Braunviolett variant of 81. Also bear in mind that Sinner's aircraft are decidedly non-standard in paintwork, so more than likely were repainted at unit level. However probably in recognised RLM hues. I believe the caption on the last picture I highlighted (that Troy helped to display) shows the aircraft at JG7, after repainting, whilst being fitted with mortar tubes, and before completion with RVD bands. 

You can research this until the cows come home, (and some posters on other boards take very dogmatic views on late war colours, resulting in threads degenerating and less than polite contributions) but the bottom line is:

• We don't know for certain what colours were used - we have some options but not certainty
  • An educated guess is therefore fine, based on the evidence such as we have
  • Profiles are not nearly as authoritative a source for colour schemes as a photo but here we have both. But choose your profile artist thoughtfully and maintain a sense of scepticism
  • It's your model. Build it and enjoy it!

Please understand that this summary is not intended to patronise you, your questions, or anyone else participating in this thread. I'm simply highlighting that current knowledge (even with the best references, and I have copies of most of them) is incomplete and often contradictory, and doesn't yield a necessarily definitive answer.

Good luck with your build!

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
Correct formatting
  • Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 7:52 AM, SafetyDad said:

Ooooh, the minefield of late war Luftwaffe greens!

There are a number of recognised variants of 81 and also of 82. 

See here for example http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/luftwaffe/colors.html.

However do bear in mind that the most recent research by Michael Ullmann indicates that RLM83 is now thought to be blue for overwater use, and the green hues previously ascribed to 83 are in fact further variants of 81 and 82. Research is not conclusive, paint samples vary between authors and publications, and you can add the effects of late war destruction and disruption of manufacturing facilities into the mix (literally!) as well. The text below the colour table above is very informative on the gaps remaining in our knowledge.

So the photos only take us so far in the determination of the colours used. Interpreting colours from monochrome pictures is not a precise science and is prone to error. What you do have here as a guide is the contrast between the two colours used, and that is some help.

If I were making the model, I would be guided by some of the more authoritative artwork and the colours the artists have used. The Claes Sundin profile for example in your WarThunder link above, or Jerry Crandall's painting. For me it would be bright green and (more likely) dark green, rather than the Braunviolett variant of 81. Also bear in mind that Sinner's aircraft are decidedly non-standard in paintwork, so more than likely were repainted at unit level. However probably in recognised RLM hues. I believe the caption on the last picture I highlighted (that Troy helped to display) shows the aircraft at JG7, after repainting, whilst being fitted with mortar tubes, and before completion with RVD bands. 

You can research this until the cows come home, (and some posters on other boards take very dogmatic views on late war colours, resulting in threads degenerating and less than polite contributions) but the bottom line is:

• We don't know for certain what colours were used - we have some options but not certainty
  • An educated guess is therefore fine, based on the evidence such as we have
  • Profiles are not nearly as authoritative a source for colour schemes as a photo but here we have both. But choose your profile artist thoughtfully and maintain a sense of scepticism
  • It's your model. Build it and enjoy it!

Please understand that this summary is not intended to patronise you, your questions, or anyone else participating in this thread. I'm simply highlighting that current knowledge (even with the best references, and I have copies of most of them) is incomplete and often contradictory, and doesn't yield a necessarily definitive answer.

Good luck with your build!

SD

Cheers for that!   Very informative.   One thing on that chart that surprises me is the dark green.   Not nearly as dark as I thought it would be.   The Tamiya dark green I've used is more like black green.    It does look more accurate to the photo's of Sinners aircraft though so maybe Sinners aircraft did use black green and light green instead of dark green stripes?   I've started painting Sinners 1sr machine so maybe I'll just finish it but do the tail without the mottled effect (which Tamiya seems to have made up.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:52 AM, SafetyDad said:

3 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Cheers for that!   Very informative.   One thing on that chart that surprises me is the dark green.   Not nearly as dark as I thought it would be.   The Tamiya dark green I've used is more like black green.    It does look more accurate to the photo's of Sinners aircraft though so maybe Sinners aircraft did use black green and light green instead of dark green stripes?   I've started painting Sinners 1sr machine so maybe I'll just finish it but do the tail without the mottled effect (which Tamiya seems to have made up.

The problem is that there were no RLM colour chips for the late war greens. Any colour with a number higher than 80 is simply described. And the descriptions (such as Hellgrun 'Light Green' and Dunkelgrun 'Dark Green') are not precise enough for us to be certain of the hue/shade used.  And there are issues around quality control. For example, RLM76 Weissblau is represented by RLM chips, but the variations in 76 as the war proceeded are remarkable (from blue to chalky white). So, it's fair to say that manufacturing may not always have been consistent as the end approached. Add in the problem that permission was given by the RLM to use up leftover older greens (70 and 71) until there was no more. Finally, it's by no means certain that we have the complete picture of camouflage colours even today - there are colours clearly visible on recovered wreck pieces that are not represented on any RLM chart or official directives. The infamous sky-like RLM84 (not an official RLM term) for example. And light greys (and black-grey) on wings that are unaccounted for...

So, using the old modeller's adage, it's down to you and how you see the photographs in front of you - paint it as you see fit and then challenge anyone who questions your call for their evidence.

And remember this is modelling, so no-one dies. It's supposed to be fun 😉. If new evidence emerges tomorrow, you can always build another version...

SD

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

So, using the old modeller's adage, it's down to you and how you see the photographs in front of you - paint it as you see fit and then challenge anyone who questions your call for their evidence.

And remember this is modelling, so no-one dies. It's supposed to be fun 😉. If new evidence emerges tomorrow, you can always build another version...

SD

Wise words which should be emblazoned at the top of every modelling forum 😂

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just came across this post.

19 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

So true. But speculating is lots of fun.

I assume it is a speculation that Sinner's first aircraft has the stripes all diagonally across as no picture exist of the other side.

spacer.png

Now his second aircraft having the strips in the other direction.

spacer.png

And there is this picture.

spacer.png

This can't be from his first aircraft as the stripes are too close together. But with the exception of the nose, all other stripes do line up well with the stripes on his second aircraft.

Could that mean that the second aircraft had the stripes in a V pattern or is this picture of a third aircraft - so here we have more speculations.

One other question needs to be asked. On these late war aircraft, the purpose of the camouflage was mainly to conceal the aircraft on the ground. I would think diagonal stripe across the hole aircraft are more effective as stripes in a V pattern - or maybe thew two aircraft are painted differently to work this out.

Yes the Luftwaffe in Focus article in the Special #2 issue is interesting. There is also a bit of a debate what colours had been used. Grandall states RLM 81 and 83, the author from the in Focus article thinks it was RLM 82 and 83 instead. I have a third opinion as to my eye neither of these two combination is having the contrast as shown in the pictures. So RLM 70 Schwarzgrün with RLM 83 as RLM 70 could have been used as it was still a legitimate alternative.

But at the end you have to decide from all the possibilities. and as SafetyDad is saying.

20 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

this is modelling, so no-one dies. It's supposed to be fun 😉.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Just came across this post.

So true. But speculating is lots of fun.

I assume it is a speculation that Sinner's first aircraft has the stripes all diagonally across as no picture exist of the other side.

spacer.png

And there is this picture.

spacer.png

This can't be from his first aircraft as the stripes are too close together. But with the exception of the nose, all other stripes do line up well with the stripes on his second aircraft.

Could that mean that the second aircraft had the stripes in a V pattern or is this picture of a third aircraft - so here we have more speculations.

One other question needs to be asked. On these late war aircraft, the purpose of the camouflage was mainly to conceal the aircraft on the ground. I would think diagonal stripe across the hole aircraft are more effective as stripes in a V pattern - or maybe thew two aircraft are painted differently to work this out.

Yes the Luftwaffe in Focus article in the Special #2 issue is interesting. There is also a bit of a debate what colours had been used. Grandall states RLM 81 and 83, the author from the in Focus article thinks it was RLM 82 and 83 instead. I have a third opinion as to my eye neither of these two combination is having the contrast as shown in the pictures. So RLM 70 Schwarzgrün with RLM 83 as RLM 70 could have been used as it was still a legitimate alternative.

But at the end you have to decide from all the possibilities. and as SafetyDad is saying.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter!

That second picture is new to me; where is that from?

Taking your points in turn

• If you check post#4 you'll see that I believe that there is photographic evidence of the starboard side of Sinner's machine #1. See the rather grainy top picture
  • Your new picture I believe shows the same 262. I can't be sure, so am certainly open to counter-suggestions here, but the mottled camouflage on the next machine seems to be similar in both shots, plus there is ground handling equipment in both pictures. Not conclusive I know, but suggestive
  • I don't see the evidence for V shaped stripes here but that would make a very striking model!
  • Urbanke comments that Sinner having a spare 262 was unusual, given the shortage of jet aircraft, so the chances of him having a third machine?
  • But that doesn't rule out anyone else in StabJG7 flying one. The other Stab machines seem to have very non-standard schemes
  • I've tried to avoid using RLM numbers in this thread because there is so much confusion about what these colours were. Personally I prefer to call them Light Green and Dark Green(!!) plus Braunviolett.
  • JaPo report finding an unopened paint can in the Czech republic labelled RLM81 that contained Dark Green paint, so it would seem that RLM82 must be light green? But remember that there has been confusion before about these 2 colours in the 1980s when they were transposed
  • Ullmann is very clear (and seems to have the evidence) that RLM83 was blue for overwater use, so all the greens previously believed to be 83 must be variants of 81 or 82?
  • Gets murkier! Confusing or what?
  • Radu Brinzan on LSP has recently made a very convincing case for the much wider continued use than previously believed of the old colours on late war airframes, arguing that we as viewers see 70 and 71 in colour photos and convince ourselves that these are late war greens instead. Ullmann supports this view too. I agree with you that the dark stripes on Sinner's machines could well be 70 or 71
  • See here http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=33949 for a detailed discussion of 83 and older colours being used later in the war but note the lack of consensus between the (authoritative) posters. This issue is still unresolved in my view
  • I tend to avoid participating in technical discussion about late war colours (as it can get heated and unpleasant rather quickly) on other sites but it's perhaps relevant here
  • Yep, speculation (and well mannered debate as here) is a lot of fun
  • No-one dies 😉

Appreciate your input Peter. It's good to see new evidence and to consider the views of others. Thanks

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
fat fingered typo correction
  • Like 2

Post-script

I've just noticed that if your new picture is Sinner's machine #1 then we are back to a white Hakenkreuz!

So it would seem that this is another airframe?

Or 2 different Hakenkreuz on each side of the tail?

But it's not likely to be the same 262 as the one in the picture at the top of post#4

Don't' repaint anything just yet SeaVenom :)

SD

The picture is published in Osprey's book on Jagdgeschwader 7

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:
  • If you check post#4 you'll see that I believe that there is photographic evidence of the starboard side of Sinner's machine #1. See the rather grainy top picture
  • Your new picture I believe shows the same 262. I can't be sure, so am certainly open to counter-suggestions here, but the mottled camouflage on the next machine seems to be similar in both shots, plus there is ground handling equipment in both pictures. Not conclusive I know, but suggestive

I am not convinced that the picture in post 4 is Sinner's 1st aircraft from the other side as I can't see the stripes. As far as I know it is a picture of newly delivered aircraft to JG 7 and they have the factory applied camouflage.

The new picture also can't be Sinner's 1st aircraft from the other side as there are too many stripes. His first aircraft has less stripes than his second aircraft.

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:
  • I don't see the evidence for V shaped stripes here but that would make a very striking model!

If the new picture shows Sinner's second aircraft (note that it also has more stripes), then the stripes would be V shaped, slanting backwards on both sides.

Yes, maybe better to say it was painted a light and dark green, what ever RLM numbers they are. I personally am not very pedantic when it comes to colours as there are too many variables with them anyway and specially so with late war Luftwaffe colours.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I think unless it was repainted at some point that photo showing the right hand side must be a 3rd aircraft.   It can't be the 1st machine as far as I can see and if it's his 2nd machine I'm surprised that the nose has a much thinner line whereas the photo of his 2nd machine looks like the nose is covered in dark green.  It would be odd to have the left nose dark green then form into a much thinner line.

• Like 2

Yes it looks that way as the nose stripe doesn't match up with the opposite side. The others don't look too bad. But the picture is of rather poor definition and the stripe borders are not too clear - back to speculations :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

Here's a clearer version of my original shot. It's a striped 262 but now I'm not so sure that its the starboard side of Sinner's Green 1

SD

IMG_2773

Waaaaaahhhoooooooo!!!  Photo success!!

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I don't think that top photo is his machine.   It looks to me like it only has 2 stripes and maybe a mottled tail.

I have to say that I agree with you. Initially I was certain this was the same airframe, but the picture in the 262 book is small, and even at first hand its a bit grainy. Enlarged (as here) it's rather obvious that not a lot of the paint details tally. Sorry, I think my enthusiasm got the better of me there.

But we still have Peter's (Basilisk) picture in Post#13. Does this match either of the 2 we know about, or is this a 3rd machine?

On the topic of the colours used, yesterday I was perusing my decal folders and came across a part Cutting Edge sheet with instructions for this 262 (Green 1 - the first machine with the mortar tubes). Dave Klaus points out that the dark green used on the stripes is so dark that it's tonally a pretty close match to the black of the Kommandeur markings. He concludes that this colour is likely to be one of the older greens such as RLM70 Schwarzgrun. I would agree and contributors to this thread have already mentioned this. Not evidence, but speculation!

SD

On 7/30/2019 at 8:08 AM, SafetyDad said:

I have to say that I agree with you. Initially I was certain this was the same airframe, but the picture in the 262 book is small, and even at first hand its a bit grainy. Enlarged (as here) it's rather obvious that not a lot of the paint details tally. Sorry, I think my enthusiasm got the better of me there.

But we still have Peter's (Basilisk) picture in Post#13. Does this match either of the 2 we know about, or is this a 3rd machine?

On the topic of the colours used, yesterday I was perusing my decal folders and came across a part Cutting Edge sheet with instructions for this 262 (Green 1 - the first machine with the mortar tubes). Dave Klaus points out that the dark green used on the stripes is so dark that it's tonally a pretty close match to the black of the Kommandeur markings. He concludes that this colour is likely to be one of the older greens such as RLM70 Schwarzgrun. I would agree and contributors to this thread have already mentioned this. Not evidence, but speculation!

SD

Interesting.  That could well be the case as it does look quite dark.   I've changed my mind now and I think I'll probably do his 2nd machine as that one photo of the whole left side of his machine shows more than the photo's of his 1st machine.   Plus I didn't add the front cannons so it makes it hopefully easier.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Those stripes look a bit roughly and unevenly painted to me especially on Sinners 2nd machine.    Is that correct or photographic distortion?

Yes, I would agree about the rough stripes on Me262#2. The airframe with the mortar tubes has pretty neat stripes, but I don't think that its camera distortion on the other 262. Just a hurried paint job ;) 

SD