Airfix 1/48th Defiant

Here is what i've done so far, i thought id paint the cockpit at this stage before i build the rest of the cockpit, otherwise it would be awkward to paint. 4e63b01b-bf45-4caf-a418-e61b4d10d7ed.jpg

Edited by alecras234
wrong link
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

I've started painting the cockpit and i weathered a little using aluminium.

Cockpit should be grey-green really.   I'd suggest that's over weathered.   If you want to bring out detail, try dry brushing with a lighter version of the base colour, and add some selective chipping.  The black already applied can be used for shadow,  but merely suggestion, it's your model.

this I presume is the one at Hendon

87e4b9f8b26113baa2a63f5644a33a63--cockpi

04.jpg

see here

https://mab.forumfree.it/?t=75332891

and here

831889_C7-31_F4-4151-9_BC1-_F6_DE0_A65_E

Defiant%252520I%252520Starboard%252520Si

I will be putting a pilot in the seat,  what colour uniform has he?  

Depends on how the uniform is moulded. 

a quick google

264-Defiant-group-opt.jpg

the chap in the centre is wearing RAF bluegrey uniform, the others look to be in coveralls,  probably black.

the chap for Defiants is @AndyL

Note, Defiant gunners had a special parasuit, combining parachute and liferaft

An_air_gunner_of_No._264_Squadron_RAF_ab

this guiy looks to have overall on

but this gunner has a standard uniform

v0_master.jpg

I think this on the mannequin here

d7px1cx-e82eb816-a0ba-40f7-b719-4bb733de

HTH

T

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

Thanks for the pics.   im following what paint it says in the instruction book which is humbrol 78 for the cockpit.

OK, just the photo looked like black or dark grey, lookiong again, I can see it's just the lighting.

Humbrol 78 is good for RAF Grey-green.

Glad the pics helped.

cheers

T

6 hours ago, AndyL said:

You could do the pilots in their black Prestige flying suit, as they were very popular with Defiant pilots. 

Like this?

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.216864531.4034187

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.203275156.4034187

Chris

10 hours ago, AndyL said:

You could do the pilots in their black Prestige flying suit, as they were very popular with Defiant pilots. 

264-Defiant-group-opt.jpg&key=d09253b271

I presume the black coverall above are the Prestige Flying suit?  Interesting detail I'd never heard of before.

5 minutes ago, AndyL said:

Flat Black for pilots suits.

3 hours ago, alecras234 said:

do i use flat black or tank grey?

Flat black for shadows, and a very  dark grey, with a lighter grey for highlights for the rest will give a better scale effect for figure use. If you look at the figures above it should give you an idea of how to shadow and highlight cloth on a figure.

HTH

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

264-Defiant-group-opt.jpg&key=d09253b271

I presume the black coverall above are the Prestige Flying suit?  Interesting detail I'd never heard of before.

Flat black for shadows, and a very  dark grey, with a lighter grey for highlights for the rest will give a better scale effect for figure use. If you look at the figures above it should give you an idea of how to shadow and highlight cloth on a figure.

HTH

Yes Troy, those are the ones, made by Lewis Leathers.  The most popular ones were the pre war white suits with the squadron badge on the chest pocket.. There's a Prestige Suit on display at Duxford that was owned by Gordon Sinclair of 19 Squadron. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

Shall i do a few washes of black and then a wash over the top of light grey over the dark wash?

The figures are inside?

You use acrylic paint?  A pretty quick method, paint uniform black,  then drybrush quite hard with dark grey, on all the highlights,  let dry, the gently drybrush with a lighter grey over the top of the highlights.   I am assuming you know what drybrushing is? 

if not

https://paintyourarmy.com/drybrushing/

This looks to have a decent basic guide to smaller scale figure painting.  

You can combine dry brush and washes if you wish, in that case use a dark grey uniform base, wash with black and highlight with a lighter grey

If you were doing a stand alone figure, I'd use a different technique,  but this will add depth to a figure in a cockpit,  think about how light will shine on the figure, and highlight those points.

HTH

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

Hi how do i insert an image from my hard drive please?

you don't.   It has to be hosted online somewhere.  

I use Flickr, but there are other photo hosting options. The pics you have above are on village photos.

there are several threads here on the subject if you need more info

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/15-faqs/

Always liked the Defiant, as my grandad worked on them in the construction process, as he was a cabinet maker by trade and there was some wood I believe around the rear turret, but can't be certain what part