Bedford QLD and QLT ++++Finished++++

I've had a couple of these kits in the stash for fair old while. I lost my mojo with them as they are coated with mould depressions on almost every part. I filled the great majority using Tippex but the sanding down took forever and they were simply put to the side and left.  It is a pity that Airfix made such a mess as otherwise the moulding is really pretty good. I was going to finish them in desert livery but one kit would be ideal for this GB as they were the staple truck for the British Army for many years including D Day and the Norhern Europe campaign. 

4cbd0ffc-af40-4c95-b8a0-a9e26bb130c3.JPG

Each boxing has two kits, very similar with two different bodies, one a General Service body and the other a troop carrying body. 

4dc4b647-49eb-4ef2-a2bb-9934bdb7a199.JPG

39842d44-63e1-41ff-94ca-480eeb9f951e.JPG

Gratuitous sprue sprue shot as is traditional. You can see the multitude of election depressions. 

resized_335efb0b-ba8f-43ff-9013-c5fdf5b5

The kit also has transparencies for the cabs and a fairly comprehensive transfer sheet. 

resized_79fe11b0-bf2a-43a3-8af8-779d3440

Now to add some paint and get cutting. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 5

On 7/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Welcome

Glad you could join with these very necessary trucks - hope the tipex has done its job, and you can get on with the fun part of the build.

Thanks. I thought the best way to check was to get a few coats of paint on. Overall most of the depressions are smoothly filled but a small number needed smoothed off and a couple a bit more filler. 

resized_bf686fc7-4f64-4217-8e36-37b79716

Now ready ready to start cutting and glueing. I'll do the two in parallel and hopefully solve any issues as I go along. 

• Like 2

Started on the QLD's chassis, a little bit of cleaning up needed to remove the sprue gates but otherwise very neat and the fit is good. Also this Airfix plastic seems to love Tamiya Extra Thin. 

resized_58ff3ab9-3fda-4f37-947f-3bcead9a

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The components of the QLD needing some more paint and awaiting assembly

resized_4736855d-1137-4bdc-96ad-f9db00f0

More assembly and paint touched up. I'll leave the final paint until near the end. 

resized_10cc1390-83f1-4346-9abe-569670f5

And the chassis for the QLT started and completed. The steering yoke for the front wheels has flown off and been eaten by the carpet monster. 

resized_fe183522-2a18-433d-895e-15c2f5cd

• Like 2

Coming along, cabs complete (apart from roofs and windows), bodies sorted out and chassis more or less done. Overall the build has been straightforward but one of the sides and a row of seats on the QLT were severely bent and needed a bit of pressure and brute force to straighten out. 

resized_b3be9c3c-bbbd-4da8-9a96-38bbc28e

Will keep keep on doing them bit by bit. 

• Like 3

A bit more done, and they are looking like trucks now. The handpainting of the 'mickey mouse' camouflage took a fair old time I didn't think it was any good. However, left to dry overnight it has turned out not too bad. I've still to do the side of the QLT's body but I'll wait till it's on the chassis as it will give me a better hold on it. Once that's done I'll start adding the details. 

resized_087f1da2-aac5-4cde-842e-9a7d5f78

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Ted said:

The camo patterns look great. 

Thanks, they do take a little time in this scale. Rather than try to trace the pattern by outlining and filling the black in, like one would do with an aircraft pattern, I painted each circle separately superimposing on each other to produce thepattern. At first I didn't think it was that great but after it dried it's not so bad. 

• Like 1

Windows in. They are flush but there seems to be bit of a seam showing. I'll have a think about a light wash of Nuln Oil or similar to quieten it down. Camo on the QLT finished and most of the bits added to the QLD. 

resized_869f29f2-6835-4c00-a686-82358969

Edited by 825
  • Like 5

On 8/16/2019 at 6:35 AM, Hewy said:

The little fellas look great, did you use khaki ,and  german grey for the dark part of the camo, i think it looks a good match

Thanks @Hewy  The black is Revell Aquacolour matt black while the green/khaki is Citadel's Death World Forest which gives a good approximation to a khaki green. The cover is Humbrol Khaki (Hu26) which is probably a tad lacking in green tone but should do. 

Here we are this morning with wheels and bits on. Just the transfers and a few bits to go. 

resized_0a0105ad-818c-438d-8560-e2f58c58

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The transfers on. I gave the areas where they were to go a couple of coats of Kleer to help them adhere and go other the panel lines. It certainly helped but the transfers were thin and a little fragile but I got there in the end. Some matt varnish will needed. 

resized_38b20bc3-7103-46b9-9b90-7602e8ae

I've subsequently added nearly all the remaining parts and once the cover is on the QLT I'll add the Bren gun. Then finish off by touching up any paint that needs it. Then, holding one's breathe for luck, we'll be done. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just caught up with this build - sorry about that...

I ordered these on amazon about 12 months ago - only to find they couldn't supply.  I have been building a 'series' of 1/72 allied vehicles and these seemed to fit really well.

You have done a great job - I must try and have a look out for them again.

Nice job - Steve

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, BIG X said:

I've only just caught up with this build - sorry about that...

I ordered these on amazon about 12 months ago - only to find they couldn't supply.  I have been building a 'series' of 1/72 allied vehicles and these seemed to fit really well.

You have done a great job - I must try and have a look out for them again.

Nice job - Steve

Steve, I was in Hannants London earlier today and they had a couple of these on the shelves, so it may be worth looking at their website. 

Ive just checked and they do https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX03306

Edited by 825
Updated information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1