1/72 Camo Tonkas with Colorful Tails decals

azureglo

Like many folk I got the Tornado booklet with Airfix Model World a few months ago and rather fancy doing a camo version with the wonderful coloured tails that many squadrons used. The only decal I've scored so far is the ancient Almark one with the white tail/gauntlet for 17 squadron. Anyone know of any sets extant? I can't abide doing the grey monotone ones but  they seem plentiful

Cheers

Anil

Are you referring to the high visibility trials on the RAF Germany aircraft during the 80’s or anniversary colours?

If its the coloured tailed aircraft from the trials as per the link, you could check references and get hold of a standard decal set for a particular squadron and aircraft and do the tail in the required colour. Most if not all had the standard squadron markings with a red or white tail.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/506092076862020516/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Muzz said:

Are you referring to the high visibility trials on the RAF Germany aircraft during the 80’s or anniversary colours?

If its the coloured tailed aircraft from the trials as per the link, you could check references and get hold of a standard decal set for a particular squadron and aircraft and do the tail in the required colour. Most if not all had the standard squadron markings with a red or white tail.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/506092076862020516/

This is is the sort of thing, some of these look a little more elaborate than just the standard markings with a coloured tail?

48323373621_10d09432c8_b.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 12:21 PM, azureglo said:

Like many folk I got the Tornado booklet with Airfix Model World a few months ago and rather fancy doing a camo version with the wonderful coloured tails that many squadrons used. The only decal I've scored so far is the ancient Almark one with the white tail/gauntlet for 17 squadron. Anyone know of any sets extant? I can't abide doing the grey monotone ones but  they seem plentiful

Cheers

Anil

Hi Anil

Although they are currently out of production Xtradecal produced a number of sets containing markings for Special Scheme Tornados, for instance X018-72 and X020-72.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azureglo said:

This is is the sort of thing, some of these look a little more elaborate than just the standard markings with a coloured tail?

There Squadron anniversary markings, I may have the decals for the 31 Sqn airframe in your second photo, left over from a Hasegawa kit. I’ll have a look.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Muzz said:

There Squadron anniversary markings, I may have the decals for the 31 Sqn airframe in your second photo, left over from a Hasegawa kit. I’ll have a look.

You sir  are a mensch as we used say in Sunny Clontarf! Forgive my ignorance of all things Tornado, they seemed to have passed me by until they retired and I suddenly thought, there's an interesting looking airplane....

Anil

• Haha 1

There were some Fineline decal sheets with some nice colourful Tornado markings, but they are none too common now. I had a look at the inventories of the usual suspects online and drew a blank, but then found this: https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Decals/Fineline/Massstab-1-72/FD72006-Meteor-Tornado-Sea-King::2742.html

Postage may be a punisher, though.

Perhaps we should ask those nice people at Hannants if they would repop some of the early Xtradecal sheets. Perhaps they could cunningly be tailored to the Revell GR1 kit, which is arguably the best on the market.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, junglierating said:

So err can we get a scan of said booklet or know what month year it was..I must have missed it and it 'flew right by'

Your tone sounds a little sarcastic, I'd work on that considering you have nothing to add. As for knowing when the booklet was issued what has that got to do with my request?

@Richard E Big thanks for the useful answer and of course Linda Lusardi

@MuzzMany thanks for your useful answer and generously giving up your time to look for the decals

@Steve Coombs Again many thanks for your equally useful answer , I see what you mean about the postage but do-able as they  say

@HookAgain many thanks Andre for your very useful answer, I should be able to track it down

Cheers 

Anil

16 hours ago, Hook said:

X20-72 has the 31st Squadron anniversary bird in your pics.

HTH,

Andre

Hi Andre I spoke too soon is this an Xtradecal sheet as it does not match any of their codes?

Thanks

Anil

EDIT

Ignore found it!

6 hours ago, azureglo said:

Your tone sounds a little sarcastic, I'd work on that considering you have nothing to add. As for knowing when the booklet was issued what has that got to do with my request?

@Richard E Big thanks for the useful answer and of course Linda Lusardi

@MuzzMany thanks for your useful answer and generously giving up your time to look for the decals

@Steve Coombs Again many thanks for your equally useful answer , I see what you mean about the postage but do-able as they  say

@HookAgain many thanks Andre for your very useful answer, I should be able to track it down

Cheers 

Anil

I beg your pardon ???? Gen question you are very rude I'm being polite perhaps you may grace me with an apology.thanks