1/35 - Avro 671 Rota Mk.I/ Cierva C.30A/Focke Wulf C.30 Heuschrecke by Mini Art - released - new boxing Spanish C.30A

Homebee

9 hours ago, keithjs said:

Thanks for all the input everyone. So, maybe it's the Duxford one that's the odd one out?

Seems to be

Initially HM 850 was repainted in an early wartime scheme with a yellow underside that would have applied to Duxford based rotorcraft before it was created. In 2001 however a more correct all-over camouflage livery was applied, although the squadron code KX-K should have been in larger letters and coloured dark red instead of the light grey used.

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Rotors.htm

13 hours ago, Whirly said:

This is really most unusual! Any more images available? And where do the floats come from?

I’ll have more images somewhere, that was just the one I found online quickly. The floats were seemingly from Shorts.

A special seaplane version of the Rota 1 was ordered. Reg K4296. It was taken to Rochester to be fitted with a pair of Shorts floats. Test flying by Juan de la Cierva and Alan Marsh took place on the Medway between 13 and 26 April 1935.

The Rota seaplane was then flown to the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment at Felixstowe to undergo Air Ministry trials

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15452.0 

some nice film footage and stills here

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-first-of-its-kind/query/rochester

Edited by Dave Fleming

Since when was it decided that rotor-wing aircraft should be done in 1/35th scale? I thought that off-scale was for tanks, and 1/32nd scale was for aircraft. Helicopters and auto-gyros are still considered aircraft, aren't they? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Since when was it decided that rotor-wing aircraft should be done in 1/35th scale? I thought that off-scale was for tanks, and 1/32nd scale was for aircraft. Helicopters and auto-gyros are still considered aircraft, aren't they? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Jason

It's close enough for me: I will most likely get one because the subject is very interesting and it looks like a lovely kit. I don't really understand the issue with slightly different scales unless you're going to put this in a diorama with a Hurricane. I would think it more likely that modellers would include figures or a vehicle, so it makes more sense in 1/35 to me. There is currently a gap on my shelf where it would fit alongside 1/43 race cars, a 1/32 WW1 biplane, a 1/48 F-86, a 1/144 Martin Mars and various 1/72 '50s jets, so as long as the size is right, it's good for me!

• Like 2

I don't understand modellers' cavalier attitudes between mixing 1/32nd and 1/35th scale vehicles, when so many throw a conniption fit because a model is 5 scale mm too long. To continue that further, why bother if a kit is 1/76th, or 1/78th, or 1/75th, or 1/72nd if you have some aircraft models - I mean it's all pretty much the same, isn't it? I suppose my main point is that I thought that 1/32nd scale was the normal scale for aircraft, not 1/35th scale. How are helicopters different? Am I somehow more likely to have my helicopter or autogyro with a 1/35th scale tank or artillery piece?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

I'd agree about the 1/76 and 1/72; ditto 1/32 and 1/35. Probably more noticeable in 1/24 or 1/18 but yes, those smaller scales don't show up scale differences so much.

If you want to see some REALLY pointless navel gazing, take a look at the current 'discussion' about P-51 horizontal stab incidence (re the Eduard kit) on a rival forum!

Edited by Sabrejet
typo! Grrrr.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

Presumably for diorama purposes. It was really the MRC kits that started the trend, with their H-13, Huey and AH-1 series

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Presumably for diorama purposes. It was really the MRC kits that started the trend, with their H-13, Huey and AH-1 series

Well, I suppose that makes sense. I don't agree with their reasoning, but it makes some sense. Thank you for answer!

Best Regards,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Can’t tell you how excited I am about this though my Mrs can’t see what all the fuss is about. They’ve announced a second boxing as an early production FW C30 - basically just different decals. 

22 hours ago, gary from darwin said:

i would love to see this in 48th scale

cheers

gaz

Hi Gary You may already be aware that  a company called Professional Models released a 1/48 C30 many years ago. It was a half decent kit but nothing like the quality this Mini Art one is looking like. Long out of production but you do occasionally see them coming up on auction sites.

15 hours ago, petetasker said:

Hi Gary You may already be aware that  a company called Professional Models released a 1/48 C30 many years ago. It was a half decent kit but nothing like the quality this Mini Art one is looking like. Long out of production but you do occasionally see them coming up on auction sites.

thanks for the info. ill check it out

cheers

gaz