1/35 - Avro 671 Rota Mk.I/ Cierva C.30A/Focke Wulf C.30 Heuschrecke by Mini Art - released - new boxing Spanish C.30A

Homebee

8 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

With that scale, it’s clearly intended to go with armour and figures. Anyone know enough about how the Rota was deployed to say what kind of scenarios there might be for dioramas?

best,

M.

They were trialled in the AOP role pre-war, and during the war they were mainly used for radar calibration duties

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

French used Ciervas for liaison purposes in 1940, there are some talks on Ukranian forums about R-4 and Fw 223, could be just made up, but given relative obscurity of Cierva would not be surprised to see more mainstream subjects, including mentioned

👍👍👍for the subject!!!

I know that they did trials with one on a temporary platform on a merchant ship during the war to see if they would be suitable for convoy protection work (they weren't).

Does anyone have any details, or even some photos ?

20 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

They were trialled in the AOP role pre-war, and during the war they were mainly used for radar calibration duties

As shown in the box art.  Trials were also conducted  as to whether slow moving, low altitude fabric covered aircraft i.e. gliders  could be  detected by Radar which also came out of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Really want to do one of these! However, I'm confused by the colour schemes? All previous info I can find show the camouflage as Brown and Green with MSG codes? (even the restored one at Duxford) The kit appears to show Grey and Green with red codes? Was there a period when the colours would have changed? All information greatly received...

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

Really want to do one of these! However, I'm confused by the colour schemes? All previous info I can find show the camouflage as Brown and Green with MSG codes? (even the restored one at Duxford) The kit appears to show Grey and Green with red codes? Was there a period when the colours would have changed? All information greatly received...

Might just be your monitor - on mine it looks green and brown

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Might just be your monitor - on mine it looks green and brown

Mmm, possibly Dave. My one here at home certainly looks more brown than works one but the codes are still red...? I'm just wondering if there was point when the code letters changed?  Anyway, thanks for the advice. 

That I would need to check - the one in the Science Museum had red codes. 

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

Mmm, possibly Dave. My one here at home certainly looks more brown than works one but the codes are still red...? I'm just wondering if there was point when the code letters changed?  Anyway, thanks for the advice. 

That I would need to check - the one in the Science Museum had red codes

I have an original Cierva C30 Owners manual, so getting this kit for me is a must.

The trouble is the manual is mostly words and the only illustration is for the grease and lubrication points so the manual is of little help to the modeller.