Iwata hp-c plus comparable?

rkp111

Remember this is a UK based Forum and what is seen as good value in the US can carry a high price tag.  

I here that H&S are higher priced over there and Iwata are lower than over here.

Which feature(s) are you looking for ?

On 7/18/2019 at 12:58 AM, little-cars said:

Remember this is a UK based Forum and what is seen as good value in the US can carry a high price tag.  

I here that H&S are higher priced over there and Iwata are lower than over here.

Which feature(s) are you looking for ?

This is true.  Iwata are cheap in the US (if you can call any airbrush cheap).  To give examples, I bought an Eclipse CS (which included moisture trap handle) for £80.  And my HP-B-Plus was £100.

The pound was stronger back then, so add 20% but still a lot cheaper than the UK.

But from what I have heard, H&S are pretty expensive over there.

One thing that makes this so is that you don’t pay import duties when you buy something from Japan.  So no VAT and pesky courier charges.  I bought my HP-B-Plus from a Japanese shop selling on Amazon.  You could probably buy the same on the UK Amazon but chances are you have to add 20% VAT and £15 courier fees.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

16 hours ago, nheather said:

This is true.  Iwata are cheap in the US (if you can call any airbrush cheap).  To give examples, I bought an Eclipse CS (which included moisture trap handle) for £80.  And my HP-B-Plus was £100.

The pound was stronger back then, so add 20% but still a lot cheaper than the UK.

But from what I have heard, H&S are pretty expensive over there.

One thing that makes this so is that you don’t pay import duties when you buy something from Japan.  So no VAT and pesky courier charges.  I bought my HP-B-Plus from a Japanese shop selling on Amazon.  You could probably buy the same on the UK Amazon but chances are you have to add 20% VAT and £15 courier fees.

Cheers,

Nigel

In the UK you should be  paying UK VAT if it's coming in from outside the EU....  At the moment as part of the EU, there is a free trade agreement with Japan, so you shouldn't be paying any duty but you should always be paying 20% VAT, a handling fee to Royal mail.   Of course once we are free of the EU you will be paying a more.  Iwata HP-B is now about £150 plus shipping from the US,  UK price is £182 plus vat, so once you pay duty not much in it. 

I son’t know if it’s just Amazon itself as a seller, or “fulfilled by...” but I think there’s now an option to pay the VAT when you buy and ship to the UK, which at least saves you the infamous “handling charge”...

best,

M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, little-cars said:

Never had that from the US !

My experience is this:

Asia - open to under-declaring.

US - play by the rules.

I put this down to the US authorities, like the UK ones play by the rules and come down hard on any business not following the rules.  In contrast Asian authorities are more lax 

National mail service - less likely to get checked

Couriers - more likely to get checked

It used to be that the customs officials selected parcels for further inspection.  Limited resources meant that there was chance of escaping selection.  But now the courier companies filter out likely parcels because they have realised the 'rip off' admin charges make them more money than the postage fees.

Wasn't an issue for me though as I was in the US when I ordered and received my Iwata HP-B Plus - different rules.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, nheather said:

My experience is this:

Asia - open to under-declaring.

US - play by the rules.

I put this down to the US authorities, like the UK ones play by the rules and come down hard on any business not following the rules.  In contrast Asian authorities are more lax 

National mail service - less likely to get checked

Couriers - more likely to get checked

It used to be that the customs officials selected parcels for further inspection.  Limited resources meant that there was chance of escaping selection.  But now the courier companies filter out likely parcels because they have realised the 'rip off' admin charges make them more money than the postage fees.

Wasn't an issue for me though as I was in the US when I ordered and received my Iwata HP-B Plus - different rules.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'm looking at it from a slightly different angle to you.  As you say and as I've tested out,  Asia  under-declare package values. Great if you are a retail customer, but not good for the  small UK model businesses, who are being unfairly undercut by these practices.  Still lets wait until the end of October, we'll all be paying loads for importing anything then !

Paul

Paul

6 hours ago, little-cars said:

I'm looking at it from a slightly different angle to you.  As you say and as I've tested out,  Asia  under-declare package values. Great if you are a retail customer, but not good for the  small UK model businesses, who are being unfairly undercut by these practices.  Still lets wait until the end of October, we'll all be paying loads for importing anything then !

Paul

Paul

Actually I didn’t have an angle, just stating what I have ascertained from numerous online discussions on various forums over the years -I have actually imported very few items myself.

But that is the nature of business I’m afraid.  You could equally argue that online stores have undercut physical stores and put them out of business.  In another recent thread a guy in the US ended up importing an H&S Airbrush from a UK retailer because it was cheaper than buying locally, especially as he would avoid paying sales tax that way.

Cheers,

Nigel

He may avoid  direct US retail Sales tax, but will still have to pay any import duty and other import taxes due.

Online stores usually have  less overheads than retail stores, but that doesn't mean they are undercutting them. In a niche market it is the only business model that gives you a chance of making a profit.  

Retail space in a lot of the UK  is expensive, I looked at a  small shop locally a few years ago and worked out we would out of business in about 3-6 months.  

On 7/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, little-cars said:

He may avoid  direct US retail Sales tax, but will still have to pay any import duty and other import taxes due.

Online stores usually have  less overheads than retail stores, but that doesn't mean they are undercutting them. In a niche market it is the only business model that gives you a chance of making a profit.  

Retail space in a lot of the UK  is expensive, I looked at a  small shop locally a few years ago and worked out we would out of business in about 3-6 months.  

Import duty very generous in the US, up to $1,600 for personal purchases is free of import tax.

I can imagine Trump would like to tighten that up.

I've only imported on very few occasions because I always calculate the worst case price and compare with buying in the UK.  Usually there is still a saving but not large enough to risk warranty hassles so I don't bother.

But on a few occasions the savings have been worthwhile and sometimes I have been hit with a tax demand and sometimes not.  I have never asked a seller to understate the value - apart from being immoral, it carries the risk of being under-insured whilst in transit. 

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

11 hours ago, nheather said:

Import duty very generous in the US, up to $1,600 for personal purchases is free of import tax.

I can imagine Trump would like to tighten that up.

I've only imported on very few occasions because I always calculate the worst case price and compare with buying in the UK.  Usually there is still a saving but not large enough to risk warranty hassles so I don't bother.

But on a few occasions the savings have been worthwhile and sometimes I have been hit with a tax demand and sometimes not.  I have never asked a seller to understate the value.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi,   I wasn't aware that the limit was so generous,  glad you play by the rules.

Paul

You can play by the rules and pick up some very nice Tamiya airbrushes from Japan which are the equal of Iwata's in quality and performance for a lot less.

That is until you get up to the Iwata Microns, but to be honest they are overkill for modelling needs 90% of the time

• Like 1