Avro Vulcan XH558 MRR - Airfix 1:72

Lovely job there. I recently did this kit (it's on here somewhere) and fully appreciate what you have done with it, all the extra detail inside the wheel bays and what looks like a rescribe of the panel detail - nice!

Is that a set of resin tailpipes?

ATB

Rick

Thanks for all your comments!

The kit was not rescribed, the raised detail that comes with it is great, and should be preserved.

The tail pipes were made from some 8mm led holder parts I've had for years:
8e68261c8cbf464bff3d604c76d8dda9.jpg

The kit (mis)represents the B.1 pipes, I needed them to at least resemble the B.2. I guess a bit more sanding would have made them look better.

It is white underneath. I concluded from what I could see in many photos that the MRR Vulcans had a transition both from white to light grey underneath and the blue white red insignia to the blue red insignia, still in white underneath then to pale grey underneath.

Anyway, I was really tired to look at the box and think about the day I would tackle this kit. Done!

• Like 3

That's a very nice job on the old warrior! I know the kit is not the easiest of builds but, to be honest, there's nothing that a bit of patience and,TLC won't fix. I think the kit is worth the effort and, as seen, it will reward you!😀

I wouldn't bother rescribing either.  You don't really notice the panel lines in reality unless you are close up. My personal approach is to sand down to just the barest impression and leave it at that. A coat of paint will reduce them further.

On my last Vulcan, I used a small circular rasp to ream out the exhaust pipes before lining with brass tube. Looked a whole lot better. Other than that, everything was strictly out of box. I have no qualms about tackling another. 😀

Allan

About the gloss... The MRR were painted high gloss, but it did not seem to last much, due to the sea air salt content, probably.

In all the photos I have seen, some sheen is apparent up close in some of them, in most photos the paint is dull, satin at best in some areas.

At a distance you can see the hole aircraft, at least for me, a gloss paint should be represented in satin, and a satin paint in a almost matt satin finish. Anything matt needs extra coats of matt, so it will not reflect any light.

Therefore, this dirty Vulcan was given a matt coat for all those hours flying over the North Atlantic.

• Like 1

Beautiful build of a beautiful plane. I live in South Leicestershire about 5 miles from Bruntingsthorpe airfield where the original restoration took place and had the honour and pleasure to see her at the airfield and flying over the area where I live.

Again an excellent build of a trying kit.