Australian F-111 1/48 build Hobbyboss.

Phil,

I see no reason not to. Both Hasegawa and Verlinden on their kits have the head in the down or tracking position as I call it. Generally speaking the laser was stowed in the park position to keep the lens from being damaged. Just my thoughts.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ron. I hope you don't mind if I ask another question. So the full deployed tracking position would be either when in use or possibly for static display at an air show. The 'sideways' parked position (photos 2 & 3) was the usual state for being parked? So when typically was it fully stored i.e. rotated up into the bay as per that first photo?

• Like 1

Phil,

My best guess"Yes". I retired in 1993 from Cannon AFB and as per the last few airshows before the F's and E's departed for AMARC, the pods were in the aforementioned position. With that being said, during the phase inspections the pavtac pods were in the position of inspecting the glass for pits and cracks that would affect the operating performance. Follow this link and surely you'll find some images of the pod out. I have a few on my research disc.

https://www.airliners.net/search?keywords=F-111F+Aardvark&sortBy=dateAccepted&sortOrder=desc&perPage=84&display=detail

Ron VanDerwarker

Got the Pavetack put together everything fits nicely. I will stick one pylon on each wing with a GBU-24 under each wing just because I think it'll look good and I think it's a good looking layout.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gingerbob said:

And so you chose a 1/48 F-111?! 🤣

It's been a while since I checked in.  Looking good, and you've come along rather quickly!

bob

It's actually a pretty good fitting kit, just if you want wings back you'll have to do some messing about.

Looking very good and looks like HobbyBoss did a good job with their PaveTac. I guess a lot of the aftermarket has been produced for the Academy kit and that has no bays at all. I’ve read some criticism of the HB kit but looking at this build I see nothing wrong and plenty of good stuff.

Thanks for the link Rob. Airshow mode does appear to allow for the deployed state whilst on the deck. Happy about that.

Edited by Filler
  • Like 2

@Filler Yeah the kit so far has been a pretty positive experience the fit in places has been literally as good as Lego. The Pavetack pod fits so well I don't think I will glue it into place as I really like the bays so I have the option. @f111guru Cheers man the build is moving at a good pace as soon as I had the wings the way I wanted them the rest came together.no issues, so far so good.

Phil,

There are some minor problems with the Hobby Boss kits. Specifically in the instructions and some of the kit parts. The instructions call for D20 to be placed in the front of the weapons bay , it should be placed in the back of the nose well. Also D8 and D9 says glue to bottom of D11 and D12. D11 and D12 should be scribe on the outer side of the part and gingerly folded to an approx of 45 degrees. The FB-111A kit does not have the appropriate weapons or fuel pylons. Examples of the kit part placement

WeaponsBayEdit NoseWheelWellEdit WeasponsBayDoors

Ron VanDerwarker

Got the canopy on now, I used Revell contacta clear which I'm hoping will be strong enough as I had to fiddle around getting the alignment correct, the glue felt like it was drying quite fast but it should hopefully with the tape hold tight and dry in place, well that's the idea. 

spacer.png

It's starting to look like an F111 finally and I have my surface to airbrush over the model so I Can see where I need to touch the kit up, I have heard Mr surfacer is a good primer through an airbrush so hopefully I will not have too much to do. I want a realistic used look on the aircraft. Anyway not long until I get painting!

• Like 5

Great work Deano. Coming along and by the looks of the fuselage not to much filler used. I'm anticipating a wonderful paint job. Surely you'll fine some good examples out there on the web.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Not much of an update here just trying to keep the posts regular though. So I'm about 95% done with the build phase all that's left is to get landing gear doors and bay doors and engines and I should be good to start painting. The mat is A3 to give you an idea of size if you don't have one, it's got to be around 18 inches long or so.spacer.png

• Like 3

Looks like your almost ready to pre-shade and paint. Were you planning a sorta early camouflage and black belly? I think that's what I remember from the beginning. The Hobby Boss F-111's I don't have in my stable is the Aussie F-111C and the EF-111A. I'll end up getting one or two each here in the near future. However, I do have those from Academy.

Good luck on the painting Deano.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Thanks Ron I will be doing the black belly as I have not seen many with the light grey, also I did find photos with the F111 tail art being a black/navy lightning bolt so I can keep the decals from the box. I also saw bright blue lightning bolts as well which looked pretty cool. I have to prime but yeah pretty much about ready to prime and paint.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looking good. For what it's worth, I think the black belly is the way to go, they look meaner that way.

Nice Job Deano,

RAAF F-111s only flew with the light grey lower fuselage for initial test flights before they went back into storage. When they were delivered they had black lowers.

• Like 1

Priming done so I'll give it a few hours and then start to get the colours down. I have had to touch up a bit around the canopy but it wasn't much.spacer.png

• Like 3

Great start on the paint. Before you start on the other colors, check to see if your paint references show the glove antennas for black paint. Just outside the marker lights on the glove area. I've missed these myself on 1/72nd scale aircraft. An example of where I always missed in paint until the near end.

IMG_0301F-Edited

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, neil5208 said:

I don't see the data pod AXQ14  which were need to guide the GBU15 bombs?

I didn't realise that was a requirement if the Pavetack pod was used but I believe there's one included in the kit, thanks for highlighting that to me. 

• Like 1

Deano,

Yep, you will need the data link pod for the GBU-15. On your query about the miss numbering of components on the Hobby Boss instructions and poster. I did notice on the A model kit the ECM pods were miss numbered. So we find some more errant miss-q's which in most cases are not a problem. But for those who don't have a vast knowledge or library of info could be troubling. That's why I like it here on Britmodeller. Lots of folks chiming in on projects.

Press on Deano your doing a great job on this kit.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1