Australian F-111 1/48 build Hobbyboss.

Absolutely stunning. I have seen the same and far worse for ware. When South East Asia was in full swing. Paint and wash was not a top priority so your on the right trail. Keep it up most impressive work.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

So the wings are or were designed to be able to be swept backwards. The engineering shows this, the pins inside the model have the wings in the forward or swept position. This is fine it fits well.spacer.png

However despite the leading edge flaps fitting very well as I have come to expect from the rest of the kit so far, this cannot be said for the trailing edge flaps, they were designed to be built in the lowered position not closed. The fit when closing them is really bad. I have had to f**k about with this to the point it was pushing my patience quite a lot. I do get that with models parts dont fit, but this was by the looks of it made to have either swept or extended wings, then it was changed in the design of the model so that the wings are open only, so the kit appears to be half way designed to have the wings back, then Hobbyboss stopped. besides the locator pins inside having the option of the folded position the location holes underneath the wings have two positions for the pylons meaning you'll have to fill in the holes you're not going to need. I'm actually disappointed with the kit here as everything else has been great. I could make the wings forward but I think it looks better with the wings swept. Anyway enough of my rant (believe me there's a lot of swear words I could have used at this point), I have the wings together and despite how bad they look now and I mean really really bad, it looks like I am going to have to add a lot of time filling and sanding the s**t out of this to get the wings to look right. spacer.png

Here is the internal pin for the swept position.spacer.pnghere you can see location pins for the swept position as well as forwards.spacer.pngand here are two wings that look like a giant bag of d**ks and would probably fit perfectly together in the extended flaps position but no I had to make life hard for myself here so watch this space it'll be a while before I get the wings looking right! 

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Deano

I do understand your pain. Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. This is what I've told my children and grand children when things seemingly go south. I do expect such problems from model companies. This image is the 1st Academy F-111 kit I heavily modified because the only after market kit available was the Verlinden F-111F kit.

100_5966

The wings were clean. No extended flaps and slats. No canopy cut to represent open. Bay doors closed and molded into the fuselage and fuselage molded in front and rear halves. Cockpit completely devoid of details.. So along comes Verlinden and Eduard with some of the first after market products. In the mid to late 90's Xtra Parts came out with a slat and flap kit. Also SB Casting came out with a F-111B conversion kit. I have a few of each.

F-111F-Aardvark-9

This is the end result of maybe 2 to 3 hundred hours of foul language. My only thought would be to test fit, and file and sand and keep testing and sanding until the end result is what your trying to achieve. I didn't start modifying models until I came back to the US from RAF Lakenheath in 1980. This was my first aircraft mod.

_IMG_0146

So keep up the excellent work. I'll help where I can with details and watch your progress.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 4

Ah it's cool my frustration was purley from I wanted an easy build point of view, but to be honest I do expect with models to have to get parts to fit, come to think of it I can only think of two kits I never had to do that with the Tamiya 1/32 F-16 and the Trumpeter 1/32 Mig 23MF, those fit with the only sanding required to hide seams. Anyway back to the wings!

• Like 2

Thank you @HOUSTON I'm doing my best. Getting the wings smooth to shape should be easy enough, my problem is that I am not very good at scribing panel lines. I do have a scriber so I think I should be alright I just hope I can capture the obvious lines although I generally do like to dirty up the model to make it look used but I never do many panel lines other than where dirt would build up. So I have cut the location tabs for the wings off so I can build the fuselage and attach the wings after painting as they will be glued in the swept back position.spacer.png

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 2

Well I got a bit done today the main construction of the fuselage went together easily ans I finally have the wings smooth as well. The wings should look alright under paint after scribing the detail I can back.spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

Deano, mate

Hope is not too late. The reason for the two pins for either a full swept or a full extended wing in the Hobby Boss Vark kit is that the wings are way too heavy in order to be movable, hence, the way they're fixed at the locating tabs once you've chosen the swept or extended option. If movable, the wings would only remain straight when swept back, but then would fall downward when fully extended. I asked the Customer Service why they had chosen the wings not to be movable and that's what they told me.

Removing part of the locating tabs will render the attachment - or joint - of your wings to the axle very week after you close the fuselage.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deano,

Great progress on the bottom half. Excellent shading in both wheel wells and the weapons bay. Keep pressing on. Your doing great

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

@Uncle Uncool It's all good now man thanks, the pins weren't the issue it's that there is no option to have the wings swept back without cutting the kit yourself, it's no big deal in reality just odd that the pins give both positions and the holes on the underside of the wing show options for open or folded wings. It looks like they got halfway to designing the kit to have folded wings and then stopped and only went with open. Either way it's all good, I have sanded the wings smooth although the leading edge of one of them needs to be filed down to be flush with the wing, I don't know how much detail I will be able to re-scribe on the other hand I don't often highlight all of the panels as I find personally it looks less realistic when it is done. The fit otherwise on this is outstanding. The top of the nosewheel well will need to be sanded down to get the cockpit to fit properly but hopefully that's the last of it. Because I have cut the wings so they can be added at the end I can get on with the rest of the build in the meantime and do my best to restore the wing detail in the meantime. I will do a base for this and maybe try a diorama so we'll see how this goes.

I've now gotten the cockpit attached as it makes sense at this point to attach it rather than the end like the instructions show. The bottom of the cockpit needed to be sanded down so the part would fit into place. I will put putty and wipe the excess away with airbrush cleaner on the seam as despite a join being there in reality from my experience panel lines are normally not visible which is why I am not overly concerned with much rescribing of some lost detail. I used Gorilla glue and Revell contacta glue for the part and have it held with Tamiya tape, personally build quality is most important to me with modelling.spacer.png

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 5

Got the avionics panels added and glued in place and sanded flush, the cockpit didn't quite sit flush so I have smoothed the area in front of the canopy so it should have a seamless shape when painted I don'tlike to have an obvious separation around the canopy or anywhere on the model. So far it's shaping up in my mind the general overall fit is helping a lot. spacer.pngspacer.png

The seam between fuselage halves needs to be eliminated and I have left the nose off for now as I have to see if this needs nose weight so it isn't a tail sitter.

• Like 1

So I've been getting the fuselage ready to be joined. The material that covers the fuselage where the wings fold into the body has had the most work done.  Because there's the wings open option only I have had to cut the plastic parts to allow the wings back.spacer.pngI hope the image helps with the description as I know my description isn't completely clear.spacer.pngI have cut the parts far enough so that the wings will have the the same angle.spacer.pngspacer.pngAs you can see it's coming together now quite nicely once the bigger parts are ready to go I can focus on lost detail. I have also inserted plastic strip to cover ejector pin marks so the intake look a bit better despite I feel this may not be seen when finished.spacer.pngSo I feel like I'm making real progress now so watch this space!

• Like 3

Well it's starting to look like an F-111 the nose needs to be smoothed to the fuselage and the intakes as well. I have got the basic lines drawn with pencil and will try to scribe them. So far so good! It's getting pretty big as well.spacer.png

• Like 3

@Parabat It's really big I hadn't thought about the size which is why I'm glad I went against the instructions and have the wings back. I have sanded the filler with an emery board and polishing sponge.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

@Parabat It's really big I hadn't thought about the size which is why I'm glad I went against the instructions and have the wings back. I have sanded the filler with an emery board and polishing sponge.

I do the same (wings back) with 1/48 Tomcats, I'm almost having second thoughts about the Su-27B I have! Looking good after the sanding down.

3 minutes ago, Parabat said:

I do the same (wings back) with 1/48 Tomcats, I'm almost having second thoughts about the Su-27B I have! Looking good after the sanding down.

The SU27 is a good looking aircraft for any collection.  Maybe the SU33 might be better space wise as the wings fold.

1 minute ago, Deano353 said:

The SU27 is a good looking aircraft for any collection.  Maybe the SU33 might be better space wise as the wings fold.

Ha ha, no it will definitely need to be the Su-27B, such an iconic plane. I'm enjoying reading up on the F-111 in Australian service, and seeing this build evolve. 

3 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Ha ha, no it will definitely need to be the Su-27B, such an iconic plane. I'm enjoying reading up on the F-111 in Australian service, and seeing this build evolve. 

Really? Were they often kept clean or did they weather much?