Australian F-111 1/48 build Hobbyboss.

Well well well Ray, that was my job in the USAF. Put munitions on aircraft. Before I retired in 1993 the F-111D had a 98.92 release reliability rate and the F-111F had a 99.23 release reliability rate. I had good people working for me. I see in both picture a few munitions I never loaded. Discounting the AGM-142, the data link pod and the GBU-15. I'm taking that the grey missiles in both are AGM-88's Harpoon? Top picture in dark shiny green BLU-755's maybe? I'm glad we never had to display like that. We did load out for a large fire power demonstration twice at Cannon. Less not forget the movie RED DAWN which in part was filmed from one of our drop ranges.

Ron VanDerwarker

On 9/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, f111guru said:

Well well well Ray, that was my job in the USAF. Put munitions on aircraft. Before I retired in 1993 the F-111D had a 98.92 release reliability rate and the F-111F had a 99.23 release reliability rate. I had good people working for me. I see in both picture a few munitions I never loaded. Discounting the AGM-142, the data link pod and the GBU-15. I'm taking that the grey missiles in both are AGM-88's Harpoon? Top picture in dark shiny green BLU-755's maybe? I'm glad we never had to display like that. We did load out for a large fire power demonstration twice at Cannon. Less not forget the movie RED DAWN which in part was filmed from one of our drop ranges.

Ron VanDerwarker

G'day Ron,

I am not an F-111 guru but the grey missiles loaded to STN 3/6 are the AGM-142 Raptor (as the Popeye was referred to in RAAF usage) whilst the white missiles in the centre behind the snakeyes are AGM-84D Harpoon Anti-ship missiles. The AGM-88 was trialled (including a launch of telemetry rounds) but never cleared for use and not procured. Ray posted some pics of A8-132 a few posts back during these trials. A8-132 was widely used as a testbed aircraft for many weapons and other F-111 systems trials while assigned to ARDU. 

The green bombs are cluster bombs but are not BL-755s but in fact the locally developed 'Karinga' rounds. Once Australia signed the UN treaty to ban the use of land mines (which also includes cluster bombs) developement of the Karinga ceased. The small blue bombs are the BDU-33 practice rounds (both high and low drag variants) used in conjunction with the SUU-20 A/A dispenser,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

Thanks Pappy. Go figure, the countries that raise kane always seem to point fingers at countries that fly and drop clusters. BDU-33's and MK-106 practice bombs. Loaded I don't know how many on SUU-20 and SUU-21 dispensers in the UK and US. Never loaded a BDU on MER's or TER's. Was never adapted to the BFU-3A.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

10 hours ago, f111guru said:

Thanks Pappy. Go figure, the countries that raise kane always seem to point fingers at countries that fly and drop clusters. BDU-33's and MK-106 practice bombs. Loaded I don't know how many on SUU-20 and SUU-21 dispensers in the UK and US. Never loaded a BDU on MER's or TER's. Was never adapted to the BFU-3A.

Ron VanDerwarker

You're welcome Ray,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 4:34 AM, Deano353 said:

Hey guys sorry for the absence I was away for a bit. I saw the Apollo 10 re-entry capsule it was pretty cool and a Soyuz capsule too. Anyway I haven't had much time at the bench with other things in the way. I have started to paint the smaller.details and I have assembled the bombs, and painted them. So not long until decalling.  I assumed the build would be finished by now but it's almost there.spacer.pngspacer.png

On 9/19/2019 at 4:34 AM, Deano353 said:

Hey guys sorry for the absence I was away for a bit. I saw the Apollo 10 re-entry capsule it was pretty cool and a Soyuz capsule too. Anyway I haven't had much time at the bench with other things in the way. I have started to paint the smaller.details and I have assembled the bombs, and painted them. So not long until decalling.  I assumed the build would be finished by now but it's almost there.spacer.pngspacer.png

G'day Deano,

As already mentioned, the bombs in your pic above are the GBU-28s, originally developed and hastily pressed into service during Desert Storm. These were never carried by RAAF F-111s. The GBU-12/10 and GBU-24 were regularly employed. Pardon me if I am telling you how to suck eggs but the GBU numbering system is not straightforward. The -12 is based around the 500lb MK.82 (small bomb) whilst the -10 is based on the (much bigger) 2000lb Mk.84. The -24 is also based on the MK.84 but uses a completely new CCG (seeker head) and rear aerofoil assembly. The -10/12 used the same CCG but different size and shape steering fins (bigger bomb = bigger steering fins innit) and each bomb had its own aerofoil group. 

Clear as mud?

The typical load would be 2 or 4 GBUs loaded to the pivot pylons , with one bomb suspended directly beneath the wing pylon. The F-111C could also carry up to six GBU-12s, with up to three loaded to a BRU-3/A bomb rack. In the 'loiter' config, the rack would be suspended the wing pylon and GBU-12s would be loaded to the front lower and front outboard shoulder positions. A third GBU-12 could also be loaded to the rear inboard shoulder, but not if carried on STN4/8 as the inboard bomb would touch the fuselage with the wings swept back. 

A more typical day to day load would be just a single pivot pylon, usually STN 3 or 4 with a SUU-20 practice bomb dispenser. This would be a typical configuration for about 90% of the time. In the camouflage era, unguided (dumb) bombs were also the main weapon load so a typical load of 6 X MK82 low drag/high drag per wing was also commonplace, as was 4 x MK.84s.

All bombs during the camo era were olive drab. 

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

Hi Deano

I've only just found this thread, nice job so far on this beast as the HB model is truly horrible with soooo many issues!  

Ok I'm being polite calling it a beast, this model is more like a  pile of:poop:, who ever did all the design work at HB had obviously never seen one or really bothered to look at photos of one! I truly upsets me as I worked on them in the 80's and have fond memories of the aircraft. I still pray to the modelling god that someone will one day do a half decent one in 1/48th.

I think everyone has filled you in on most of the issues with this model and sort of how to correct them. The only one they seem to have forgotten (or I didn't see it) is that the "splinter plate" for the intakes is not straight or correct, it actually has a curve in it, a bit too late to correct now. Don't worry the majority I've seen built have this missing as well....or the wrong intake type! 

IMG_0042-M.jpg

IMG_0044-M.jpg

I was in 6 Sqn so we had the 4 Recon birds (A8-126, 132, 134, 146) and did aircrew training, I was there just after we lost the 20mm cannon and fitted the PaveTack pod. Our aircraft generally all just carried the SUU-20 Practice Bomb dispenser under the port wing (except A8-129, she carried it on the RHS due to a twisted wing carry-through box!!!  she'd keep rolling to the left if it was fitted to the LHS). On bombing camps we'd just carry single bombs, one on each side, 500-2000lb. We never fitted the BRU's, I don't think our gunnies knew how to fit them!! :D If you wanted to do something a bit different a pair of harpoons would be ok with SEA Camo. Or go completely bonkers and do a display bird with all 8 pylons fitted, each with a BUR fitted with 6 500lb "slicks" (24,000lbs!). It looked very impressive, scared the "framies" as they worried someone might actually try to tow it with all that stuff fitted!!! 

I spent a lot of time on the Recon birds (was Instrument fitter so they were our babies), they still have the older cockpit layout to the PaveTack birds, old radar scope instead of new setup for pod. Just be careful with a lot of the photos around that say they're F-111C's of RF-111C's which can lead you completely up the wrong path.

I really wanted a Recon bird so I ended up having to make (and cast) the pallet myself. One of these days I'll make the insides for it and do a proper conversion kit. There are/were 7 cameras fitted, 4 cameras (2 Pano, 2 fixed), 1 IR camera (Line Scanner), and 2 video cameras.l 

IMG_0238-M.jpg

IMG_0368-M.jpg

IMG_0389-M.jpg

Good luck with the rest of the build, look forward to seeing her completed.

• Like 9

Rich very nice build on your RF. One of my goals is to do an RF. The splitter plate is correct on one kit and only one kit. The aurora 1/48th scale (TFX) F-111A from the late 60's. That kit was based on the roll out aircraft from General Dynamics. I have 2 of those kits. Monograms 1st release in 1/48th scale was based on the kit and blew it when they added decals for the 474th TFW Nellis AFB. I would have done some research on their 1/72nd kits.
Those have short comings also. Atleast when they made their FB kit, they gave it the correct pylons for the most part. The other companies unknown where there insight came from. I have bunches of kits to work with. Not to disappointed with any kit just frustrated that there not near correct.

I'm unsure how to fix the intermediate vane in the high lift flap. The vanes are backwards. From wing tip to fuselage the vanes should be smallest to largest. Hobby Boss aarrg.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

mmm there are just so many little (and big) wrong on this model, the Academy one isn't much better.

If I was more motivated I really should try a create a correction kit for this model, but that would almost be a model in itself!

With the wings it's probably better to leave everything up, we rarely had ours down when parked. If I was to do it again I'd use the OzMod/Scaledown wing set...and wheel well/U'c set plus a could of other essential correction kits and you'd be at $200 USD before you even started!

....and I just realised I got the RF serial numbers wrong! :doh: They should have been A8-126, A8-134, A8-143, A8-146. A8-132 was the ARDU bird used for all sorts of test and development work hence the white underside.

Our aircraft had red sealing goop around the canopy windows, plus for a long while you'd often see aircraft with a mix of the original "gold tinted" and clear windows. Eventually they were all replaced with clear as they went through major maintenance.

F-111C%20-%20ATA%20Refueling%20web_zpsdq

This is either 143 or 146 on exercise "Pitch Black" up in Darwin in 1988, lots of fun was had. We had to put or shirts on for the photos but normally we had them off all day......arr the good old 80's. You may notice we had some "extra" ground staff that day! :wicked:

Pitch%20Black%2088%20-%20group%20photo%2  

• Like 3

I do have a few pictures of your extra ground staff. Surprising you all got anything done.

I have quit a bit of the Scaledown and OZ Mod stuff. All except the long wings. I did get the FB pylons because my pylons ended up with turned up noses.

IMG_2418

These were modified from a set of Academy weapons pylons. Also made the correct fuel mast. Working on the wing slats and flaps for the FB. Early to mid 90's made a set for a 1/48th scale Academy F-111F using the Verlinden F model update set. That kit has its problems also. As below:

F-111F-Aardvark-12

As lame as they are. So I'm bound and determined to make a set for an FB-111.

I would like to achieve an accurate F-111 with mods to make all the existing models. But would be a financial disaster, not selling enough to make up for the tooling. So this is why I am game to do what is needed to make from an existing kit (Hobby Boss, Academy) into the most accurate I can do.

All the Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

So sorry brain frat. Should be wings and am not sure now why I said that. Other than looking at written articles on the net from wikipedia, joe bauger, fas, global security and others show the FB being 75.5 to 75.7 ft long. I'm headed to a 25th anniversary get together at the Wings Over The Rockies next month and I'll measure the length of the FB-111A that is there. Was my goal anyway. I'm headed there by myself because my better half has high school marching band to attend to.

Tons of pictures forth coming.

Apologies for some miss information.

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 1

Deano,

If you endeavor to build another Hobby Boss or Academy F-111 and want to make a G or FB your going to have to fix what has been already addressed on your build and fix the Academy and Hobby Boss fuel dump mast. This is the FB dump mast

100_9653

You see the end of the dump mast extends out beyond the fairing. This was my first attempt at making one on an Academy kit in the mid 90's

20190923_151432_HDR

The one that is with the FB pylons I made is a Hobby Boss fairing. Here is another photo way back when

20190923_151420_HDR

I've been going over the EF-111A I recently bought and 😫:banghead:what a mess it is as far as accuracy.

Looking forward to your progress an your F-111C.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Thanks again for the info there, I'm wondering if Hobbyboss just had a guy describe an F111 down the phone and they went with drawings from the description, I can't believe how inaccurate the kit is, I think HB was hoping for customers like me who don't know anything about the aircraft. On the positive side because of my ignorance I have been happy to put it together and enjoy the mostly pretty good fit, every cloud and all that I suppose hahaha, I really haven't had much time lately but I think I'll go with Harpoon missiles if they're in the box as we had them on our ships back in the day, plus it'll look cool slung under the wing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deano353 said:

On the positive side because of my ignorance I have been happy to put it together and enjoy the mostly pretty good fit, every cloud and all that I suppose hahaha,

Deano,

That is exactly it. To be happy with your build. Don't fret on the small stuff. My first plastic airplane model was when I was 9. My dad bought me an Aurora KC-135/Boeing 707 kit. Was not a scale kit. It fit in the palm of your hand on a stand. That was 58 years ago, and has been a learning process every time. I started collecting information on aircraft in the early 70's and have not stopped. Have a vast supple of kits collected over the years. My very first kit was a guillow balsa wood J-3 Piper Cub that was rubber band powered. Had a flat fuselage, slide in a slot wings a tail and stab. Rubber band was j hooked in the tail and attached to a propeller. Wind it up and toss. That was the start down this road.

So do your best on the one and try something new on the next. From there it's just a matter of time to go forward with each project.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Got the decalling started here they're settling into the recesses nicely. The blue does look a big light to be honest as I'm sure it should have been the same colours as the RAF roundels, but the contrast looks good. Anyway here it is, I'm doing the body of the aircraft first then the wings. I will be leaving the strip lights off so the outline will show but it's not obvious. spacer.png

• Like 5

oh yeah i forgot to mention those decals match the rest of the model......ie pretty crap! You're right the blue is too light, the squadron flash should be the same blue and not black, the serial numbers should be the inverse of the camo colour (tan on green or green on tan) not that weird orange colour and any of that stencilling that is that weird orange colour should be yellow. Other than that and some other weird stuff the decals are fine! :D

Unfortunately getting the correct decals is now quite hard/impossible! There use to be a great set from Aussie Decals released by Novascale that were perfect for the job but i think they're long out of production. I do know that any time these decals for the SEA scheme RAAF F-111's they disappear almost straight away, it took forever to get the set I used. Doing the boring grey scheme then decals are much easier to come by.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/novascale-n-48030-f-111c-raaf-1-and-6-sqn--1104197

But she does look good, that fine red edging on the canopy is perfect! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

But she does look good, that fine red edging on the canopy is perfect! :thumbsup:

Hey man thanks, yeah the kit supplied very bright yellow decals for the edges of the canopy but in all the photos I saw it was red plus I think it looks better so had to paint it.

Got the walkways I think, added try were a bit of a pain so I cut them up to get them down flat, they lined up ok but I did have to work with them.on the surface. The decals always add a nice bit of extra colour in my opinion I like these.spacer.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Got the walkways I think, added try were a bit of a pain so I cut them up to get them down flat, they lined up ok but I did have to work with them.on the surface. The decals always add a nice bit of extra colour in my opinion I like these.spacer.png

I feel your pain Deano, It took me about 4 sessions and a few weeks to get the walkways down on my 1/72 F-111,  sets of walkway decals were used as I kept destroying some.

48571164582_bec64a3954_b.jpg

• Like 2

Deano,

Looking really great despite the hiccups with the decals from Hobby Boss. Here are a couple of reference pictures that show 2 different tones of blue. A8-130 I'm sure is the resurrection for a display at the Pacific Aviation Museum Hawaii.

1264763_10201860314100558_180463679_o 1010933_512127305536626_2102225523_n 1085025_1422563911290161_167459775_o

So There you have it. It depends on your test subject for your build and do your best with what's at hand. We all know companies try to get it right, pause pause pause hmmmmmm, I may have over stepped on that thought. There images are three different time periods.

Again absolutely gorgeous aircraft.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I feel your pain Deano, It took me about 4 sessions and a few weeks to get the walkways down on my 1/72 F-111,  sets of walkway decals were used as I kept destroying some.

48571164582_bec64a3954_b.jpg

Looks good Ray. I haven't done mine yet, let alone in 72nd scale. I do have planty of both and more than likely the ARDU will be in 48th scale.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Ok we have an F111 with really bad silvering on the decals. If you guys have any ways of remedying this please let me know. It's a big model massive even and a good bit of weight as well. There's more to do to the surface but I am glad the decala are done hahaha. But yeah I know I didnt make the surface glossy enough so you guys think theres a way around this now?spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2