Australian F-111 1/48 build Hobbyboss.

Cheers for the info there again guys, good to know about the frames on the canopy I have a feeling I will be spending a bit of time on this area, the other build was brilliant and the correct canopy really is different. At this stage I will probably keep the nozzles as I can live with them but if I build another I will get the canopy and engine replacements and resin wheels I think. I can see the finish line with this one so I'm gonna stay the course at this point. Although I really appreciate the information given and if I get another 111 I will post the progress of that build.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 2:08 AM, f111guru said:

Deano,

I would like to have the answer for you but I don't. I retired out of the 523rd FS and we did not have a requirement at that time to fly the GBU-15 or AGM-130. However, the 524th FTS (Fighter Training Squadron) flew the AGM-130 and GBU-15's for test. The 524th FTS did some other electronic upgrades during that time period to enhance the F-111's capability. I did come across some images from the Richmond air show in Australia that shown the Data Link pod on the number 6 (right outboard) pylon with the pavtac pod in the stowed position. But then again some strange configurations always show up at air shows.

Ron VanDerwarker

G'day Ron,

I don,t know for certain what pics you are looking at {but I have a good idea} when you  mention photos from the Richmond airshow but I suspect that the datalink pod in your picture is actually the one used in conjunction with the AGM-142 «Popeye». Up to two 142s could be carried, however if an asymetric 142 load was carried, an inert Mk.82 was also loaded on the opposite side {typically STA 5} withe the D/L pod on STA 6  to off set the weight. which would explain the pod on STA 6.

cheers

Pappy

• Like 1

Ok the landing gear is constructed and glued in place.  I have weathered it already I still have to do the weathering for the rest of the model but I'm pleased with how this turned out and happy with the overall fit and result so far.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

Fantastic work on the gear and wheel wells. Weathering looks great. Please do have a go at another F-111. Have tons of info for you.

Ron VanDerwarker

I reckon I will for sure I think an all over grey bird next time would be good in flight with the corrections I could probably go with the Academy kit for that and get a stand, I like to have them flying sometimes. I say the Academy one as I have heard there's no bomb bays or anything so it would be an advantage in the build.

• Like 1

Deano,

The Academy E model has weapons and bru-3a racks that are right for the F-111. You could for a future build in SEA camouflage such as a Combat Lancer, Harvest Reaper F-111A from the 474th TFW or an F-111F in the configuration for the raid on Libya. Some teasers to tickle your F-111 fantasy.

IMG_3250 313888_609037692446873_18478938_n 258903_4253789135281_196195167_o 622090_3341444314124_1825574717_o

I have over the years have purchased lots of after market parts to help me in my building. But I still find myself collecting odd bits of heavy aluminum and very thin brass and copper to make different things for different model parts. So enjoy the teasers and your (future) building.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

11 hours ago, f111guru said:

But I still find myself collecting odd bits of heavy aluminum and very thin brass and copper to make different things for different model parts.

Ha, I've got a collection of odd bits of "human detritus" that were headed for the trash can and then I looked and thought, "Hmm, this could have some mysterious application in model building..."  One of my favorites is a large (for its application) rounded plastic cap from a kid's juice bottle- one look and I thought "radial engine cowling".  Just haven't found anything needing that diameter yet!

Your avatar photo and the recent updates reminded me- a couple of months ago I saw something rock-like but very "round" emerging from the eroding edge of our dirt driveway.  Kicked it loose and it was obviously a two-part wheel from a model.  Cleaned it up, sent a photo to a couple of my model buddies, and the speculation began.  Something in my brain was saying "Monogram 1/48 F-111", so I eventually found sprue shots online and sure enough!  (I've lived here for about 15 years, and haven't had that kit around, though there's one in "deep stash" still.  We did meet a former resident whose brother was in the AAF, and when we were looking at her photo album he was pictured in front of a B-24- "Hey, I recognize that particular airplane!"  (Sorry, can't remember which one it was, offhand, but we copied the photo.))

Finally, I don't recall seeing a "naked" (bare metal) F-111 before- that's pretty cool, but it is "traditional" scheme FBs for me!

Now back to our regularly scheduled build- forgive the tangent.

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 3

So I've got the edge of the canopy painted with a mix of red and yellow to get a dark orange it's a bit scruffy even having been masked so I might try to neatenit up a bit. I think it looks better than the kit supplied decals for the frames as they're so bright. spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, exdraken said:

Great work!

Love your canopy frames!!

Thanks the photos being that you can zoom in make the frames look not so great to be honest but in reality at least to my poor eyesight they look better lol. When I make another I might see if I can get decals ehich are thin strips and use that next time for a neater appearance.

15 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Finally, I don't recall seeing a "naked" (bare metal) F-111 before- that's pretty cool, but it is "traditional" scheme FBs for me!

bob

Oddly enough the FB-111A was my 17+ years start on the F-111. Was stationed at Pease AFB 509th BW from September 75 to December 76.From there I went to England RAF Lakenheath to bed down the F-111F's from Mt Home Idaho.

FB-111A-69-6509-LtRearQtr FB-111A-69-6509

Came to Cannon AFB in 1980 and retired out of here in 1993.

Ron VanDerwarker

3 hours ago, Deano353 said:

So I've let the frames dry and thinned then down with a fine brush so they look closer to scale now, much better.spacer.png

Your doing a fantastic job on the paint. Like the trim on the canopy frames. Enjoying your build and will wait for the final product.

Ron VanDerwarker

Got the engines painted as close as I could, I used alclad2 steel, exhaust pale and burnt iron all layered to give as good a heated metal effect as I could. I have also lightly listed flat black to remove any sheen from the area.spacer.png

I have also got the Pavetack pod painted, pretty sure I have seen these in grey however correct me if I'm mistaken.

spacer.png

Finally I have the Revell GR4 I made a year or two ago next to it to show the size as it's really quite impressive.  I have the AMK Mig 31 to build and that's huge, but I'm gonna do a diorama with two Migs and ground crew etc where I'll put that God knows hahahaha but space is a secondary thought.spacer.png

• Like 2

I must point out the subtle variations in colour on the engines are not really visible in this image but it's there, if we ever get sun in Ireland I'll get a better photo.

• Like 1

Deano,

The engine exhaust looks great. But, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the end plate on the fuel dump mast is for the F-111G or FB-111A. I don't have a Hobby Boss C kit yet (in the mail) to see what the instructions have to say about the end plate. This is the dump mast for an FB-111A at the Wings Over The Rockies in Denver Colorado. The FB-111A instructions call for part H7 on the dump mast. Which is correct. The A model kit calls for H5 and the D/E kit calls for H6. I also have a EF-111A coming.

100_9652

This image is the back end of a C model.

1269498_10201860308660422_1513258203_o

This is all minor stuff and the directions for kits I've done in the past have either left off things or had them in the wrong shape and length. And as far as your kit goes. Your doing a fantastic job. I'm looking forward to the final produce.

Keep up the great work. I too have problems in building.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Got the engines painted as close as I could, I used alclad2 steel, exhaust pale and burnt iron all layered to give as good a heated metal effect as I could. I have also lightly listed flat black to remove any sheen from the area.

I have also got the Pavetack pod painted, pretty sure I have seen these in grey however correct me if I'm mistaken.

The Pavetack was a green colour when the F-111C were in the SEA scheme

f111_pavetack.jpg

Or black on the retired jets that were repainted from the gunship grey scheme back into the SEA scheme

F_111_A8_138_Amberely_Gate_19th_December

• Like 1

G'day Deano,

Ray is correct vis the P/T pod colours.

When the fleet went grey, the pods did as well. Initially they were painted olive drab, but then about 2000 they started to paint these black. from about 2002 they were mostly grey {FS36118} but it was not uncommon to see the odd black pod on a grey jet. What a lot of people don,t know is that all the pods had a nickname stencilled on them. The names were not visible when installed as it was deliberatley placed in  the area that was hidden due to the somewhat ribald nature of some of the nicknames, usually selected as a form of in joke by the P/T workshop crews.

Also, dunno if it has already been mentioned but the F/RF-111Cs did not have the low-viz formation lights.

Apart from being horribly over scale, it is incorrect for Cs, one of the litany of errors with the HB kit. The lights on the tail {and the rest of the airframe for that matter} should be removed if you are concerned about accuracy, but build it how you want, I raise the point in case anyone else decides to reference this build for their own build.

Sometime after the ex-USAF F-111Gs {which were fitted with low-viz lights} were aquired, a project was undertaken to have a common engine in service throughout the fleet. By now, the F-111C AUP fleet was all grey and it was not uncommon to see an odd F-111C with an engine acces door cannibalised from an F-111G. There are two engine access doors per engine and one of these doors was the location for the fuselage side low-viz formation lights.

So, with a cannibalised engine door, it was possible to have one panel with low-viz lights, however none of the other low-viz lights would be present, but for a pig in SEA paint, no low-viz lights.

cheers Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

I did read about the low vislights actually but I am beginning to think with this kit with what's been pointed out that they made the kit for the US version and threw in extras for the C variant and changed the box picture. If not for everyone on here I'd be none the wiser lol. I won't remove the strip lights at this stage, had I have realised earlier I would have definitely but I'm gonna have to settle for an inaccurate but hopefully nice looking F111 C ish hahaha.

58 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

I did read about the low vislights actually but I am beginning to think with this kit with what's been pointed out that they made the kit for the US version and threw in extras for the C variant and changed the box picture. If not for everyone on here I'd be none the wiser lol. I won't remove the strip lights at this stage, had I have realised earlier I would have definitely but I'm gonna have to settle for an inaccurate but hopefully nice looking F111 C ish hahaha.

No worries, you are doing great and I am looking forward to seeing your pig completed,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

I have for quite some time liked a challenge in some kits. I started a Combat Lancer F-111A the first Hobby Boss kit I purchased. Spent lots of time staring at the sprue set thinking they did a god job getting the shape down. I didn't have to cut the slats and flaps out as on the Academy kit. Then I noticed things that did not belong to the A model. Specifically the majority of the weapons and bomb racks. Then no BRU-3A Bomb rack, no forward gun enclosure ECM rack mount. Because the both times the F-111A went to SEA they flew with 2 ECM pods. And the list went on and on. So as for the challenge of the kit build, first things first. I filed and sanded the strip light frames off.

100_1371 IMG_20150326_100407

This will eventually end up in a post flight SEA diorama with revetment walls. I was at a stand still with some serious health issues and the purchase of a out building. That was a few years back and the New Mexico heat is a work killer.

So Deano, you have the support of a great bunch of people here and press on with pride. Your doing great.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f111guru said:

I have for quite some time liked a challenge in some kits. I started a Combat Lancer F-111A the first Hobby Boss kit I purchased. Spent lots of time staring at the sprue set thinking they did a god job getting the shape down. I didn't have to cut the slats and flaps out as on the Academy kit. Then I noticed things that did not belong to the A model. Specifically the majority of the weapons and bomb racks. Then no BRU-3A Bomb rack, no forward gun enclosure ECM rack mount. Because the both times the F-111A went to SEA they flew with 2 ECM pods. And the list went on and on. So as for the challenge of the kit build, first things first. I filed and sanded the strip light frames off.

100_1371 IMG_20150326_100407

This will eventually end up in a post flight SEA diorama with revetment walls. I was at a stand still with some serious health issues and the purchase of a out building. That was a few years back and the New Mexico heat is a work killer.

So Deano, you have the support of a great bunch of people here and press on with pride. Your doing great.

Ron VanDerwarker

I have to say you guys have been great help with facts I did not know and pointing me in the right direction with the build. I have not really posted many builds before only two I think. But I will be posting more builds definitely as this has been a wealth of knowledge as you guys know the real deal so can't get better reference than that. So guys here's one for you before I get to decalling it's not finished yet but neither is the week but I'm making these instead! spacer.png

• Thanks 2

Deano,

If you come across an Italeri ground support set grab a few. It has a good representation of the F111 boarding ladder.

20190905_155055_HDR

The bad thing about this kit is there is only 1 ladder. The current kit number No2629. it also has a nice early MJ-1 bomb loading truck with load and aircrew. Also has a farm tractor and a utility trailer. I have at least 10 in my stash for the MJ-1 and boarding ladders. I'll eventually get some thin brass or plastic channel and create my own. Please do ask questions. The only questions we as a collective can not answer is the one that's not asked.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1