Australian F-111 1/48 build Hobbyboss.

Its amazing what snippets of info you pick up over the years.I believe the Pavetack pod was for laser targeting and guidance only, gbu10's ride the beam to the target. GBU 8's and 15 are electro-optical guided which require contiual external control to hit the target hence the 2 way datapod.

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 1

So would the Pavetack pod be required for the GBU-15 or just the AXQ14? I honestly don't know but also I could not find an answer on Google either.

Deano,

I would like to have the answer for you but I don't. I retired out of the 523rd FS and we did not have a requirement at that time to fly the GBU-15 or AGM-130. However, the 524th FTS (Fighter Training Squadron) flew the AGM-130 and GBU-15's for test. The 524th FTS did some other electronic upgrades during that time period to enhance the F-111's capability. I did come across some images from the Richmond air show in Australia that shown the Data Link pod on the number 6 (right outboard) pylon with the pavtac pod in the stowed position. But then again some strange configurations always show up at air shows.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

GBU 15's dont need the Pavetak pod to fitted but if you google f111 with gbu15 and it will show an aircraft with datapod on the rear centre line, 2 gbu15 and alq131 on the front bay which could be the pave tack in the stowed position

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The GBU-15 was only trialled by ARDU on their test jet (A8-132) and never made it into service with the RAAF, MK82s and MK84s were the usual weapon load or LGB versions of those

img_0553_med_hr.jpeg

Ray,

I have a great many pictures of A8-132 but not that one. I would like to copy that one for my reference because I have not decided how to set in a diorama those ARDU aircraft. My plans are set in 1/48th scale and one for sure will by an RF-111C with the palette up or down not to sure at this point. I only have one of the palette I believe is the test fit black and white image.

Ron VanDerwarker

4 hours ago, f111guru said:

Ray,

I have a great many pictures of A8-132 but not that one. I would like to copy that one for my reference because I have not decided how to set in a diorama those ARDU aircraft. My plans are set in 1/48th scale and one for sure will by an RF-111C with the palette up or down not to sure at this point. I only have one of the palette I believe is the test fit black and white image.

Ron VanDerwarker

Ron,

This is a RAAF Official photo so copy away. I knew the photographer who took this and similar ARDU trials images.

• Like 2

Here's the progress so far in very happy with the result. I used flesh with stone mixed in for the sand colour and green fs34227 and xf58 olive green for the camouflage greens. The nose has Klear floor polish as it's my varnish of choice. Here's the model now. The camouflage was done free hand.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

So far so good.  Hopefully not long now. I still have to assemble the pod for the bombs but otherwise I'm on the home finish I'd say at this point.  The demarcation lines on the paint weren't quite as fine as I'd have liked but they look close for the most part.

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The GBU-15 was only trialled by ARDU on their test jet (A8-132) and never made it into service with the RAAF, MK82s and MK84s were the usual weapon load or LGB versions of those

img_0553_med_hr.jpeg

Ah I see ok well thanks for the heads up on that. I will see what else is in the box. Pretty sure one of those is in the box. 

Deano,

Looking good on the paint. My only question is the light green. Appears to be quite bright. Seems the RAAF used the same Southeast Asian(SEA) paint scheme as the USAF. The black belly, FS30219 Tan,FS34079 Dark Green and FS34102 Green, Just my take on that.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Deano,

Looking good on the paint. My only question is the light green. Appears to be quite bright. Seems the RAAF used the same Southeast Asian(SEA) paint scheme as the USAF. The black belly, FS30219 Tan,FS34079 Dark Green and FS34102 Green, Just my take on that.

Ron VanDerwarker

Yes you're right, I made the mistake of looking at the closest match to the instructions rather than the photos of the actual aircraft. I'm might leave it as is for this build as I quite like it but I will probably correct it. The canopy has bright yellow decals for the frames but I have never seen this on any pictures of the real aircraft it looks like it had silver around the windows or possibly red in cases, would this be right? Also I have realised on the kit the rear section of the canopy is too large so I'm not sure if I'm gonna fix that or not.

Edited by Deano353

So I will go over the green with a closer match as looking at it after this time it doesn't look right now as it's far too bright. Also this will big me as well unless it's fixed which will mean cutting the bottom if the mask away on the canopy and painting to get the step which is apparent. I want to ask opinions here does the photo below appear to have silver or white around the canopy frames? I can't quite tell but it looks silver to my eye.spacer.png

• Like 1

Deano,

If you look at these 3 pictures they are 2 different F-111 but the color you see around the canopy glass is sealant. Some was a gray base and others yellow and red. I'm sure it was what was available at the time

IMG_3367 IMG_3378 IMG_0278F

The sealant in your images looks to be gray. I've also seen them where there was no sealant visible. Go with your gut feeling. Again my spin on things.

I generally pick a subject and try to build from those images. With aircraft I pick a serial number and find as many images I can work with.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

@f111guru Thank you for clarifying that, I usually do look at real photos it slipped my mind on this one as I've not had regular time at the bench. The kit supplied decals for the sealant look like picture frames so I'm going to paint it.

• Like 1

I believe this is a far better match, I used a photo this time so I have sprayed over the existing light green paint and gotten a much better look. I didn't have the relevant paint so I mixed what I had to get as close as I could. It has left a slightly patchy finish which I think will help with a work look when finished. After looking at so many photos now I totally get the canopy being wrong but this time I'll live with it but I believe there was a correction for the Academy one which will be used should I make the US version. Anyway this is it so far, I'm much happier with this now.spacer.png

• Like 5

Good looking paint job. I wouldn't worry to much about the patchy paint. Should look fine on the finish. You have given me the deciding factor on the RAAF scheme I'll be doing in the future. Basically the ARDU test flight with 2 GBU-15's and 2 AGM-88 that Ray posted. I have multiple views inflight.

Deano keep up the great work and looking forward to the finish.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

Very nice, great you corrected the paint!

The canopy is wrong in many ways, but way too late to correct this now! Squadron does a vacform one for the Academy kit... that can be made to fit the HB kit with some effort... for your next build of course!

Edited by exdraken

@exdraken You're right, I actually hadn't realised how off the canopy was, I'm no rivet counter but when I realised the shape error I couldn't not notice it. Besides that it's a really good kit with fit and detail top notch. I have seen some good reference photos of the canopy frames so I am going to start paispacer.pngnting this next as I don't like the yellow decals supplied for this purpose.

Not sure whether I'm seeing rust along the front of the left side which I doubt but looks like it or whether it's red paint but I want to do something like this on mine.

• Like 2

Can't be rust - it's aluminium there, not steel. One of the ex-Pig maintainers can probably give us more info.

Nice job on the green correction. The F-4 scheme had the same greens/tan but the greens contrasted much more. on the F-111, they are much closer in hue, even though they're supposed to be the same FS number - not sure how that happened!

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 1

@Romeo Alpha Yankee and @Bell209 thanks for the info there, I would have found it hard to believe it would be rust but the colour looks very similar so I needed to ask. I'm much happier with the greens on this now it's actually harder to tell them apart now as I have gone and done touch ups and the like. I have the main landing gear attached now and I have the wheels drying and will be attached later. This kit has rubber tyres which I know are not popular but I actually do like them as it saves painting and gives the model a bit more grip on the shelf later on. The gloss coat is down and I have the engines primed with gloss black so more to come.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Deano,

The gloss coat brings out the paint. Excellent coverage and looking great. Trying to duplicate what colors go around the canopy frames on the F-111 would be a total nightmare. I've seen so many variations that it's mind boggling. The F-105 is not far behind. My thoughts are to do your best with what information you have. We are our own worse enemy. We know all the flaws and mistakes we made in our build and end up beating ourselves for that.

Your doing a fantastic job on your build. Keep it up Deano.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Deano353 said:

@Romeo Alpha Yankee and @Bell209 thanks for the info there, I would have found it hard to believe it would be rust but the colour looks very similar so I needed to ask. I'm much happier with the greens on this now it's actually harder to tell them apart now as I have gone and done touch ups and the like. I have the main landing gear attached now and I have the wheels drying and will be attached later. This kit has rubber tyres which I know are not popular but I actually do like them as it saves painting and gives the model a bit more grip on the shelf later on. The gloss coat is down and I have the engines primed with gloss black so more to come.

spacer.png

I do see the original kit nozzles there..... I do not want to be the bearer of bad news again, but those nozzles are not too correct ... if you could invest in the new Reskit ones, that surely pays off! (e.g., the only have 5 instead of 6 supports...., should be symmetrical....)

if you are REALLY interested, have a look at @trickyrich 's build from the F-111 GB 2 years ago...

cheers!

On 8/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, Deano353 said:

@exdraken You're right, I actually hadn't realised how off the canopy was, I'm no rivet counter but when I realised the shape error I couldn't not notice it. Besides that it's a really good kit with fit and detail top notch. I have seen some good reference photos of the canopy frames so I am going to start paispacer.pngnting this next as I don't like the yellow decals supplied for this purpose.

Not sure whether I'm seeing rust along the front of the left side which I doubt but looks like it or whether it's red paint but I want to do something like this on mine.

G'day Deano,

It is 100% not rust.

The reddish brown is the colour of the material at the endge of the transparency, a fibreglass like material. This would be unpainted when new then painted to match the airfrrame as required {as mentioned  Ray in a post above} however the paint frequently wore away to reveal the underlying colour, especially after supersonic flight. The grey colour is the actual sealant/ caulking compound which was usually grey but other colours were possible. There is  thin panel that runs down the centre of the windscreen between the two clear portions that is metal. This panel coversthe re-positioning cable. Following a high altitude ejection, the crew capsule would pitch nose down and only the drogue chute would deploy to stabilise the capsule whilst it decended to a breathable altitude. Once this altitude was sensed via a barostatic device, the firing train would re-commence and a cartridge would fire to withraw a pin that retained the forward attachment point for the main parachute, allowing to capsule to regain a normal attitude as it decended under the parachute.

Deano, you are doing a fantastic job with {IMHO} a rubbish kit. Looking forward to seeing the finished product,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2