Australian F-111 1/48 build Hobbyboss.

:analintruder: Ron! 

That's invaluable info, thanks!

Yeh, the OzMods/Scaledown bits I've been drooling over for a loooooong time. It's not only the size but also the price tag for the resin FB-111A dirty wings! (it seems they lowered the price on them 'cause last time I checked they were over the $100 figure - as mate @Jon Kunac-Tabinor would put it: my sheila would give me a new pitched voice if she ever found out that I spent that much quid on a resin bit :lol:).

And then it's the shipping cost from Aussieland to Argieland... :unsure: You know I fear that 'cause of the size of those cast wings, they may be all bent and/or warped. It happened to me with the massive flaps for the 1/48 C-130 kit I bought from Arma Hobby, for instance. Still haven't dipped them in hot water, but I'm quite afraid of doing it.

I'll probably getting some pylons for my Hobby Boss FB-111 kit (then again, I might as well take the opportunity to get the Aermacchi 326 bits). 

Incidentally, have you learnt about the new ResKit exhaust sets for either the HB and Academy kits? They look so tempting!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Ron! 

That's invaluable info, thanks!

Yeh, the OzMods/Scaledown bits I've been drooling over for a loooooong time. It's not only the size but also the price tag for the resin FB-111A dirty wings! (it seems they lowered the price on them 'cause last time I checked they were over the $100 figure - as mate @Jon Kunac-Tabinor would put it: my sheila would give me a new pitched voice if she ever found out that I spent that much quid on a resin bit :lol:).

And then it's the shipping cost from Aussieland to Argieland... :unsure: You know I fear that 'cause of the size of those cast wings, they may be all bent and/or warped. It happened to me with the massive flaps for the 1/48 C-130 kit I bought from Arma Hobby, for instance. Still haven't dipped them in hot water, but I'm quite afraid of doing it.

I'll probably getting some pylons for my Hobby Boss FB-111 kit (then again, I might as well take the opportunity to get the Aermacchi 326 bits). 

Incidentally, have you learnt about the new ResKit exhaust sets for either the HB and Academy kits? They look so tempting!

Cheers,

Unc2

I think I might actually put it a little differently. "Desea nuevos cojones? Gastar uno cento y los necesitareras"  But never the less- I like your style!

Cheers
Jnnrs ( I've given up vowels and carbs)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I think I might actually put it a little differently. "Desea nuevos cojones? Gastar uno cento y los necesitareras"  But never the less- I like your style!

:rofl2: Jnnrs, my mate!

I'm afraid we've got a different jargon down here in Argieland. :wink: Your is okay if you wish that the Spanish fellas dig you, but down here it would be like: "Si querés un par de bolas nuevas, gastate cien dólares en boludeces y vas a ver..." :lol:

Don't ever give up the protein!

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for the new info on the Reskit. I have 9 of the wheel sets over the span of the last year or so. Unaware the company was coming out with the exhaust. I'll have to get some when they come available.

Ron VanDerwarker

59 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:rofl2: Jnnrs, my mate!

I'm afraid we've got a different jargon down here in Argieland. :wink: Your is okay if you wish that the Spanish fellas dig you, but down here it would be like: "Si querés un par de bolas nuevas, gastate cien dólares en boludeces y vas a ver..." :lol:

Don't ever give up the protein!

Cheers,

Unc2 

Alors, la francaise est la deuxieme langue preferée pour moi, donc que l'espagnol est un troisieme, et un troisieme pas bien retenu aussi.

But I like the fact you correct me- so if I'm ever down your way- I can get it wrong properly! :)

Jnnrs - protein all the way. Steak anyone?

The 2 websites I go to that supply those are not in stock yet. Hobby Easy out of Hong Kong have the engines listed backorder. Hannants lists them as out of stock. So I'll have to remember to check now and again. I saw that Eduard have the F-111A exterior kit as discontinued. I have enough for now and there again I keep up with them. Italeri has on and off and then back on reissued their ground support equipment set. That kit has a pair of F-111 boarding ladders. Flightpath UK, David Perkins https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=252

had a cast boarding ladder. I'm always on the look out for things to go with all my projects. Have plans for 2 major dioramas. One from my early first duty assignment and my retirement duty station. These involve the F-111 as the last and the F-4D my first.

Ron VanDerwarker

Guys cheers for the info there. I haven't been doing much building these last few days I've not had much time. I am basically at the same stage I was at before. I have decided as part of the process to go with the instructions and attach the landing gear legs but I'll leave the wheels off until near the end. It's an interesting subject this aircraft, it's a pity they're all gone now. I would assume they took a lot of maintainence with the big swing wings. This kit has two full engines so when I've time in the future I think I'll be getting another and do one with panels removed etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, f111guru said:

The 2 websites I go to that supply those are not in stock yet. Hobby Easy out of Hong Kong have the engines listed backorder. Hannants lists them as out of stock. So I'll have to remember to check now and again. I saw that Eduard have the F-111A exterior kit as discontinued. I have enough for now and there again I keep up with them. Italeri has on and off and then back on reissued their ground support equipment set. That kit has a pair of F-111 boarding ladders. Flightpath UK, David Perkins https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=252

had a cast boarding ladder. I'm always on the look out for things to go with all my projects. Have plans for 2 major dioramas. One from my early first duty assignment and my retirement duty station. These involve the F-111 as the last and the F-4D my first.

Ron VanDerwarker 

you can make order on reskit site.

reskit.com.ua

• Like 1

This is a great reference thread, guys.

Nice to see Ron providing photos and first hand experience...particularly the photos from the Wings Over the Rockies museum, one of the best aerospace museums I've been to.

• Like 1

Those resin engines look good I did see those actually I might get them myself for this build. So I have gotten the landing gear for the nose put together as the basic kit shows, I will add brake lines and some pipework in both bays. Thankfully the parts fit well so the landing gear was fiddly but the parts fit at least. It's slow progress here but I'm not rushing this one I really like the F-111 so I wanna get this one right.spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

Great information. Visited the reskit site. I'll have to use the credit card payment method when I'm ready. I don't use pay pal. Had it once and was hacked.

Here are some landing gear photos:

Left Main

100_2362

Right Main

100_2361

Nose Gear

100_8180 100_8171 100_8169 Nosegear

More information to aide in your building. May not be a F-111C but for references to help you along.

Build this pair for a fellow I worked for in the Air Force upon his retirement in 1994.

F-111D-G

Keep up the great work

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

Those were Hasegawa 1/72nd scale FB-111A painted up overall grey for the 428th FS and the other is the D/F kit painted up for the 523rd FS, both being assigned to the 27th FW Cannon AFB New Mexico. The same wing and squadron I retired from in 1993.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Got more done tonight. There's a decent bit of detail oob here so will look good under paint and after extra detail is added. spacer.png

• Like 2

Got detail added here hopefully it will look good under paint. There's so many pipes etc in the photos I've seen that I just went with what looked busy, it would take a lifetime to get evrry pipe without artistic licence lol.spacer.png

• Like 3

Deano353,

Great work on weapons bay and the wheel wells. What you might want to consider is whether or not to have the canvas covering in the open or tied closed. Every weapons bay has this canvas cover except for the EF-111A which was modified for the electronic equipment pallet. In this picture (F-111D weapons bay) on the left it shows the canvas covering laced closed. I say this because it is generally laced up unless maintenance is being done. I don't want you to get to carried away with details

IMG_0292D

The bit on the very left is the gun enclosure and the white lined bin is the section of spent case bin for the ejected spent 20mm cases. The parts in the middle is the MAU-12 bomb rack and the white horizontal bit is the keep aligned the lugs of the bomb that is loaded in the bay. Just my 2 cents for you not get ahead of the detailing. Bad image quality. Did not have a fancy camera at he time. Approx 1982 time frame

Keep up the great work. I'm enjoying your build.

Here is another site for good reference photos:

If you go to prime portals main site and click the air strip it takes you to all there aircraft.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/f-111e_67-0120/index.php?Page=2

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 1

Hey man thanks I'm doing what I can with the available time so I'm hoping this week to get a good bit more done.

Where is the canvas you're on about? In the link you gave I got this photo.spacer.png

Is this the canvas you mean? 

Deano

Smack dab in the middle of the weapons bay ceiling. The image show a very dirty canvas covering where on the kit bay ceiling where you put the long tube. The canvas is laced and a couple zippers up front or to the upper right in the image. I'm guessing when the folks from Hobby Boss did there homework on this kit that canvas was missing. This is the case with the FB-111A from The Wings Over The Rockies Museum. Some other parts that are missing in the images on a combat ready aircraft is the bomb racks that would be mounted in the wells on either side of the canvas cover. In the very poor image I had, the bomb rack is installed and the other parts for the sway down parts. I have photoshop and I'll use it to point out what I mean. Think this may help. Compare to the image from the reference I gave you.

IMG_0292Dedit

My photoshop skills are lacking. Haven't used this program in 6 or more years.

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Like 2

Well here's my progrrss so far. I've posssibly overdone the dirt and paint chipping almost definately lol but I wanted a used look so Im happy with it but I'll leave ot alone now and move to the next parts of the kit. Here is the F-111 so far.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

So the wings are drying together and engines are done, becauee they wont be seen I didnt bother adding to them. I will do the wings closed up as I want the wings swept back, the kit doesn't offer this option but it's plastic and can be cut to fit so it is a shame the kit doesnt habe this as an option and also unusual I will have to modify the side of the fuselage where the wing enters, although it shouldn't be an issue, or so I hope!

• Like 3