Not Exactly a Cheap Budget Flight Then

JohnT

Looks like Jet2 are (rightly IMHO) pursuing a disruptive passenger for full costs of £85,000 for the diversion she caused

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-49017838

Wonder if MoD will pursue for the costs of 2 Typhoon scrambles as well?  Wonder what that comes to with fuel, airframe fatigue, post flight maintaing etc.?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, XV107 said:

She should certainly be pursued for the compensation claims which people have put in for damage caused by the sonic boom...

And if  you add in the compensation due to the other passengers for the disruption.......she aint going to be flush for quite a while !

• Like 2

Apparently she tried to open the door while the aircraft was in flight.  If I was THAT drunk I don't think I would be able to stand up. Assuming she was drunk, of course. 

I was just looking at this, and can't seem to find a name.  Isn't it usual to mention names after court and a conviction type thingies?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I was just looking at this, and can't seem to find a name.  Isn't it usual to mention names after court and a conviction type thingies?

I bet Jet2 know her name Mike as she will be on their blacklist for life! 😂

1 minute ago, feifeitim said:

I bet Jet2 know her name Mike as she will be on their blacklist for life! 😂

They'll need it for the bill! :wicked: Also, what kind of a muppet tries to open the door of an aircraft in flight? :dunce:

She'll be on the hook for the whole lot by the looks of it.  The total could run into a coupla hundred thousand by the time the MoD and the passengers have weighed in.  Play silly games, win silly prizes.  Sympathy = zero.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Her day in courtuort  hasn't happened in the UK but here ya go, this is the in-duh-vidaul

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/18/jet2-fines-chloe-haines-85000-air-rage-forced-emergency-landing-10407906/

It's about time they stopped serving booze on flights and in airports, especially in England. People are unable to control themselves with regard to drink and unlike in a pub where you can walk out if you're unhappy with others in there,  you can't on a plane. 

Simple use of a breathalyser would cut down on those getting onto a plane in no fit state.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

influencer maybe? :hmmm:

Well, she's already influenced me into thinking she's a buffoon, so there's some potential :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Its going to be a load on her back 'til she dies . Starting at 85 grand, once that guilty verdict was given the door opened for anyone affected by it to get something too . Her life has gone down the tubes in an eye blink for being stupid .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Its going to be a load on her back 'til she dies . Starting at 85 grand, once that guilty verdict was given the door opened for anyone affected by it to get something too . Her life has gone down the tubes in an eye blink for being stupid .

Trouble is the average person wont be able to pay that....she will pay a proportion as for other claims I believe there is a compensation scheme paid for out of I'll gotten gains ....personally I think a custodial sentence would appropriate...but I'm not a solicitor meh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Obviously, there is no way she will ever pay that bill, so I wonder what happens now?

Chris.  

Very possibly three months bed and board at Her Majesty’s pleasure. That sentence was handed out a few years back in similar circumstances. 

• Like 1

She'll pay hardly anything, she'll go bankrupt, probably through an IVA, costs very little in comparison. In 4 years she'll be back to normal and those whose holidays she ruined will get nothing. 

Edited by Sharknose
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm with Sharknose on this issue, I hate it. Some of my colleagues have been involved in air rage or drunkenness cases (despite their frequent occurrence, they rarely make it to court).

Custodial sentences rarely result from drunken disruption in the UK because the line taken by the defence is always the same: 'but they were serving alcohol in the airport and on the aircraft.' Judges seem to be sympathetic to this point of view, so unless alcohol wasn't a factor, people get fined and generally can't pay.

It's a total waste of time and money, but short of banning alcohol on flights, it's never going to be solved in by legal deterrence.

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 2

Oddly enough, I’m wandering around the interweb and this pops up:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/man-jumps-on-planes-wing-and-attempts-to-enter-the-cabin-as-aircraft-prepares-for-takeoff/ar-AAEBbA8?ocid=spartanntp

Trying to break out of an airliner is one thing, but trying to break in … ?

Then you follow the link in that story to the one about the Jet2 flight and you think, no-one is going to come out of this well … 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pigsty said:

Trying to break out of an airliner is one thing, but trying to break in … ?

I read somewhere there's a specific law against this in Canada. Maybe why they haven't yet (as far as I know) based a 007 film there.

Unfortunately, bad behaviour is not just related to low cost and Europe.  In the Far East we have just as much buffoonery going on in our cabins, perhaps more.  Until recently, air travel in a particularly densely populated country in this part of the world was a new phenomena. Ten or so years ago, flying from the capital of said country and needing to use the facilities, I’d frequently find boot prints on the toilet seat because sitting on a loo is not something many have ever done!

Fighting in the cabin is also not uncommon.  In particular, First Class passengers all think they own the aircraft and airline and are therefore the most important people who have ever travelled.  They can be extremely demanding and if they don’t like their fellow cabin travellers have been known to start a fight!

Many Asians find it more difficult to process alcohol so it takes very little for some to be comatose: hence when there are disputes, the folk are usually sober which makes the understanding of escalation to violence even more difficult to comprehend.  

Then, of course, there was the famous first timer last year, who boarding at an outer bay (no air bridge), thought it was a good idea to throw a pocket full of cash down the engine for good luck!  Flight promptly cancelled.  Hugely expensive dismantlement of engine required to find the last of the pennies.

Theft is also becoming more prevalent on flights.  I’ve had a number of cases involving huge sums of money. Embarrassing for the victim as it is illegal to take huge sums of money out of said country.  Incomprehensible when it comes to the perpetrator as they are frequently caught and seem to have forgotten about their escape plan!

Aviation brings out the best in some, Sully for example, and the worst in others, Jet2 muppet and numerous others.  For me there is zero tolerance towards anyone who puts the safety of my crew, my passengers and my aircraft at risk, (that includes toilet smokers or vapers), the police are always called to meet us on arrival.

• Like 10