Just making sure I buy the correct stuff!

ColinH25

Hi. Little advice please. 

I have a VW Beetle 1:72 kit I want to rust up etc and practice on before moving on to armour. 

I want to try my hand at this technique below. But at 6:23 in the video he says to use an certain lacquer. (I'm not too clued up on glossung/varnish etc etc yet)

Would "Vallejo Matt 70.520" be what I'm looking for? 

Or this?.. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264371529572

Thanks for any advice! 

Afternoon Colin,

what's being used in the video is 'Model Master' flat / matt coat a.k.a. matt varnish, in this instance I believe it may be an aerosol.

In this case it's being used as a barrier to protect work already carried out.

You can use whatever type of varnish you want, from Hycote and Rust-oleum matt aerosol to commercial varnish that can be applied by brush,

ideally, apply with a 1"+ brush.

If you have access to an art shop, artists varnish comes in larger bottles and is cheaper! than the likes of Vallejo, Tamiya etc.

Best place I can recommend for 'modelling' supplies is Wonderland models, for art supplies, you know whats available in your 'neck of the woods'.

HTH

Paul

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Afternoon Colin,

what's being used in the video is 'Model Master' flat / matt coat a.k.a. matt varnish, in this instance I believe it may be an aerosol.

In this case it's being used as a barrier to protect work already carried out.

You can use whatever type of varnish you want, from Hycote and Rust-oleum matt aerosol to commercial varnish that can be applied by brush,

ideally, apply with a 1"+ brush.

If you have access to an art shop, artists varnish comes in larger bottles and is cheaper! than the likes of Vallejo, Tamiya etc.

Best place I can recommend for 'modelling' supplies is Wonderland models, for art supplies, you know whats available in your 'neck of the woods'.

HTH

Paul

Afternoon Paul. Thanks for clearing that up! 

I'd like to keep it to a varnish I'd apply by brush for now. 

I have an order coming from element games and thinking If I can see something on there I can add it to my delivery. As I am a cheapskate and don't want to pay two delivery chargess if I can avoid it lol

If I can nip your head a bit more... Would this be ok do you know? 

https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery-by-manufacturer/the-army-painter/army-painter-warpaints/warpaint-anti-shine-matt-varnish

Thanks again buddy. 

(I've seen Wonderland models come up in a few of my searches for other things I'm hunting for. Il keep it in mind thanks.)

I have a Hobbycraft quite near me. That's an option. 

Edited by ColinH25

Hi Colin,

the element games varnish will work fine. From the look of the bottle it has to be similar to Vallejo et.al.

Worth keeping an eye on Wonderland, as they normally have offers on, and their prices are keen.

Hobbycraft......only use as a last resort! Though they do carry a good range of artists material, and even at their prices you still get more for your money!

Paul

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Colin,

the element games varnish will work fine. From the look of the bottle it has to be similar to Vallejo et.al.

Worth keeping an eye on Wonderland, as they normally have offers on, and their prices are keen.

Hobbycraft......only use as a last resort! Though they do carry a good range of artists material, and even at their prices you still get more for your money!

Paul

Fantastic Paul. Sorted. 

Off to Wonderlandmodels for a nosey! 

And I'll tread carefully in Hobbyctaft, thanks 😁