As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

stevej60

Airfix HMS Ark Royal.

Hi folk's,just picked up the re-released kit in their classics range for a trip down memory lane, must be forty odd years since I first built it 

but wondered if there are any available PE kits out there for it even if it's just railings?

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

40 minutes ago, grahamwalker said:

try wem or peter hall

Many thank's guys for pointing me in the right direction the WEM set it looks superb but price wise and for the kind of modeler I am I'm loathe to shell out 

twice the price of the kit so I'll go for pure nostalgia OOB.

Gidday Stevej60, I'm just an average-skilled modeler and don't use PE either. I don't think my skill level would warrant the extra cost. I did this model many moons ago, also OOB. However I did enhance the supplied aircraft. I added undercarriage and either prop blades or discs to the aircraft, plus torpedoes to the Swordfish. The parts I added were scratch-built from Evergreen strips, rods and clear sheet. They don't look as good as PE additions I've seen but I think are compatible with the standard of the model itself. To me, anyway.

I hope this helps. Regards, Jeff.

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Stevej60, I'm just an average-skilled modeler and don't use PE either. I don't think my skill level would warrant the extra cost. I did this model many moons ago, also OOB. However I did enhance the supplied aircraft. I added undercarriage and either prop blades or discs to the aircraft, plus torpedoes to the Swordfish. The parts I added were scratch-built from Evergreen strips, rods and clear sheet. They don't look as good as PE additions I've seen but I think are compatible with the standard of the model itself. To me, anyway.

I hope this helps. Regards, Jeff.

Cheers Jeff thats the new plan evergreen strip and stretch sprue!

5 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Cheers Tom it was really just railings I wanted just to add a bit of interest to the kit, this has got me thinking might be worth a punt in the wanted

section here on BM.