Revell F-18E 1/48 saga

Hi guys,

Well I thought I had bagged an absolute bargain from ebay this week. A Revell 1/48 F-18E brand new still in cellophane for just £4. Woohoo thought I.

Anyway to cut a long story short once I had unpacked everything and given it a good wash I started putting it together. All went well putting the intakes in the bottom half of the fuselage, then when I went to put the two halves together for a dry fit....................................disaster :(

The upper fuselage including the upper wings has been moulded incorrectly and is missing a section of the left wing tip where it joins the outer wing sections. It is obviously a moulding problem rather than a breakage as you can see in the attached pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have written to Revell customer care but think maybe as this is an older kit they won't be able to help. I have also already ordered some resin extras for this kit, so my dilemma is...............how do I remedy it.  I was thinking plasticard/filler/rescribe but does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Matt P

Well, that is a bit of a nightmare. I think contacting Revell with some photos is your best option, if your scratch building skill s are up to it then have a go or build it as is and use it for some painting practice etc. Keep the resin bits for the next F18 kit.

Hello

Based on Scalemates that F 18 its a rebox from an F18E made by Italeri, why don't you try ask Italeri if its available and get a new part, ask for price including shipping.

They have a good customer service. Normally Revell don't cellophane the model boxes.

All the best

1 hour ago, Paulo Monteiro said:

Hello

Based on Scalemates that F 18 its a rebox from an F18E made by Italeri, why don't you try ask Italeri if its available and get a new part, ask for price including shipping.

They have a good customer service. Normally Revell don't cellophane the model boxes.

All the best

Thanks for the advice. I might just contact Italeri as well.  I was surprised that the box was cellophane wrapped when it arrived, but it was definitely factory done and all the bags were fully sealed inside too. 

1 hour ago, Paulo Monteiro said:

No. Revell reboxed the Italeri one ( the first on the market then) once, but then produced their own F-18 E/F later, which is much more detailed than the Italeri one The Italeri has no folded wing option. Of course you could use an Italeri wing with some modification, I guess. Otherwise scratching the missing part would be my option, if Revell Abteilung X can't send a spare part. Cheers

• Like 1

That's the Revell fuselage alright. Good news is that the upper fuselage is common between both the E/F kits. Revell of Germany had a boxing of the F/A-18F a few years ago and they still might be able to send you one. If not, there's people selling sprues on Ebay--you might be able to find one there.

HTH

Peter

Still waiting for a reply from Revell Germany on the spare parts, so decided to crack on the (forlorn?) hope that they can come up with a spare upper fuselage for me.

Cut some plasticard to fit the missing part of the upper wing if I need to, although I don't know if I can achieve anything like a seamless joint.

spacer.png

And started on the cockpit and Aerobonus resin pilot

spacer.png

spacer.png

Got a fair bit of touching up to do while waiting for the parts.................................lots of resin dust to blow away and the decal for the instruments really doesn't want to stay on, which may not bode well for the rest of them!

Edited by Matt P
  • Like 1

Well the good news is that Revell are sending me a new sprue which includes the complete upper fuselage :)  Whoohoo thank you Revell :)  :)

No need now to continue the time consuming job of making a new wing. Just have to twiddle my thumbs for a few days.

That’s awesome you were able to get a new fuselage! That kit is looking like the deal of the century now!!

Don’t bin the short shot fuselage... keep it, and maybe you can crack on with scratch building the wing anyway, just to hone some new skills!!

Looking forward to seeing how you round this one out!

On 7/26/2019 at 1:47 AM, RadMax8 said:

That’s awesome you were able to get a new fuselage! That kit is looking like the deal of the century now!!

Don’t bin the short shot fuselage... keep it, and maybe you can crack on with scratch building the wing anyway, just to hone some new skills!!

Looking forward to seeing how you round this one out!

Thank you. I've kept the scrap fuselage for paint practice and scratch building :)  I must say the service from Revell has been outstanding, especially as I bought the kit on ebay and not from an authorised dealer. Big thumbs up for them.

Since getting the new upper part I have managed to make a little progress and have the main parts together and primed.  First time I have used Vallejo gloss black primer other than on NMF finishes, so I'll see what happens next :) I have flatted it back slightly to smooth it out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1