Future

Grumpygeek

Hi guys

I've been lurking for some time now and have been reading the benefits of Future for ages both here and elsewhere, but I don't seem to be able to definitively work out exactly which product is currently available in the UK market.  I normally use GX-100 as a gloss coat before decals etc, then another before weathering, but Future seems to be a lower stress (and less smelly) option that I should have a go at.

Please can one of you post a link / send me a PM to the *exact* current product that I need?  I bought a bottle of Pledge Klear Multi Surface Wax (big white bottle, with blue label), but not 100% that this is the right thing.  Also, presumably it is used straight from the bottle, or does it need diluting? It looks milky rather than clear, but .... Can you see my confusion??

Many thanks in advance, cheers

Myles

Go to your local grocery store and look at the various floor finishes/clear coats/polishes. They could be labeled as Pledge/Future or some such thing. The name has changed over the years and locations. Look for an acrylic floor finish. It may be clear or look a bit milky. Both are good. 

I have this old bottle that is probably near 20 years old now. This is what was available in this part of Canada at that time.

48174323466_fb44e2b5bf_b.jpg

Chris

Many thanks Chris - this is the one that I bought Pledge-Klear-Multi-Surface-Wax but before I plastered it all over my newly painted model I wanted to make sure that this was the right one!! I got it a couple of months ago but have chickened out of giving it a try up until now.

I've got a spare air frame from an Eduard 110 that I built a while ago, so I'll paint that - let it dry overnight and try this stuff tomorrow.

Cheers

Mylesspacer.png

• Like 1

Hi Myles,

that's the current incarnation (above) of S.C. Johnsons 'Klear'. Guess what? they changed the spec for the stuff used within the EU.

The product sold in the US and Canada now has a different make up, see Chris's @dogsbody post above.

I've heard reports that this does indeed act in a similar way though, the 'milky' finish is wax in suspension, there was no wax in the original.

You have to remember, it's (was) acrylic FLOOR polish, self leveling, apply with a (large, flat) brush, why muck up an air brush?

NO need to thin, it's a pig to remove, unless you regularly walk on it! One method to remove it, unless you get the S.C. Johnson proprietary stripper,

is MALT vinegar, though your model'll smell like a chippy!

A similar product to the original 'Klear' is still available but it's now in their commercial range, available in 5Ltr. bottles, or BiB it's called

"Multi-Surface Floor Finish Plus Sealer", and I've sold thousands of gallons of the stuff into contract companies and the licenced trade.

HTH

Paul

19 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

You can remove acrylic floor polish with ammonia-based window cleaner, such as Windex.

Chris

I thought so to until it messed up my $225.00 Iwata HP-BCS twice. I used to thin it with windex 1:1 and clean it with straight windex. It kept gumming up the works. I researched it for weeks and determined that the vinegar idea is probably the best bet. But i will wait till i get a cheap airbrush to try it. Since I'm coming into some money in the next month or two i will be testing it out then. 

Dennis

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I thought so to until it messed up my $225.00 Iwata HP-BCS twice. I used to thin it with windex 1:1 and clean it with straight windex. It kept gumming up the works. I researched it for weeks and determined that the vinegar idea is probably the best bet. But i will wait till i get a cheap airbrush to try it. Since I'm coming into some money in the next month or two i will be testing it out then. 

Dennis

And that's why I would never spray Klear/Future through an airbrush. Just use the ol' 'airystick and clean that in some Windex. If it screws up the brush, just go buy another. They're fairly cheap.

Chris

• Like 1

Gents,

Thank you very much for your help and tips - I ran out of time last night, but I'll have a go at brushing some on to my test fuselage over the weekend and report back if anyone's interested? If it's 'self-levelling' that would be excellent ... I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I suspect that I'll need to play about with it a bit.

All the best, and thanks again

Myles

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Good stuff.....BUT......it's ruddy expensive at £12.99 for 27 Fl.Oz. Used to able to pick up a similar size bottle of 'Klear' (when it was available) for £2.64!

Yorkshire's been a good teacher!! :wicked:

Maybe Lakeland discovered its only being bought by modellers and repriced it to an appropriate level for that market?

😎

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Good stuff.....BUT......it's ruddy expensive at £12.99 for 27 Fl.Oz. Used to able to pick up a similar size bottle of 'Klear' (when it was available) for £2.64!

Yorkshire's been a good teacher!! :wicked:

I bet your computer printer only has black ink in it.

On 17/07/2019 at 11:55, Grumpygeek said:

Please can one of you post a link / send me a PM to the *exact* current product that I need?  I bought a bottle of Pledge Klear Multi Surface Wax (big white bottle, with blue label), but not 100% that this is the right thing.  Also, presumably it is used straight from the bottle, or does it need diluting? It looks milky rather than clear, but .... Can you see my confusion??

Get 'Astonish' from Home Bargains. £1 a bottle - 750ml afair - I can't be bothered checking on one of my bottles right now

Yes, it is milky but dries clear and shiney

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I bet your computer printer only has black ink in it.

Frank.............what's a printer??

Though my stylus and wax tablet was enough???! :tease: