AIM-9B Sidewinder question

Ranger626

Can anyone help me with some information about the AIM-9B FGW Mod.2  Sidewinder (sometimes identified as the AIM-9F)?   This was a German manufactured, much improved, version of the AIM-9B produced in large quantity and widely used by several NATO air forces.   I am trying to modify existing 1/32 scale AIM-9B missiles to the FGW Mod. 2 version.   Numerous sources cite the length of the FGW as 2897mm vs. 2820mm for the original -9B.    ( 77mm or about 3 inches longer).  The guidance fins and wings appear identical.

My question is:   where was this extra length positioned?    Ahead of the guidance fins or behind the guidance fins?     And how did the extra 3 inches shift the positions of the colored bands marking the warhead and the rocket motor?   If there is a web site with this information, I would very much appreciate the URL or link.     

Thank you.

Great question - I've taken pride in being able to distinguish the major AIM-9 variants (for modeling purposes) for over 20 years, but I don't believe I've ever seen any references to the little-known AIM-9F as anything other than a rebuilt AIM-9B with the false impression they were externally identical.

I couldn't find anything 100% definitive, but there is an exploded view of the AIM-9 on the site linked below that indicates the upgraded seeker (FGW Mod 2) as a separate section in the nose:

http://www.rolfferch.de/F104G/html/body_beladeschema.html#Konventionelle

Looking at photos of what I would've previously identified as "AIM-9Bs" in late West German service, it does appear they have a slightly longer nose section which would suggest they are, in fact, AIM-9Fs.  This one from the Berlin Gatow museum is almost certainly one of the upgraded missiles, and seems to show the "spliced" seeker:

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/11974439@N05/30771169377/

Edited by CT7567
Corrected link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.    The reference and photo you attached help a great deal.    It certainly looks like the added 3 inches in length is ahead of the guidance fins.   I'll proceed with the modification based on that unless someone comes up with contrary information.

I'm always impressed with the collective knowledge of people who inhabit this group.

The incredible collective modeling and aircraft knowledge on this website never amazes me- it's the fact that this information is so freely and generously shared that makes this site the class of the field!

Mike