New Lightning markings.

GMK

Maybe we will end up with flights within a squadron being assigned squadron numbers, doubling the retention of numbers. Am sure I read of such an idea a while back. 207 and 809 are both worthy of use. Mind you, so are 43, 74, 111 etc.......

3 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

Maybe we will end up with flights within a squadron being assigned squadron numbers, doubling the retention of numbers. Am sure I read of such an idea a while back. 207 and 809 are both worthy of use. Mind you, so are 43, 74, 111 etc.......

801,800,899and 892 so that's 50 ish for the roger nigel and the juniors can have the rest.

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, Meatbox8 said:

Have 3,11 and 29 lost their unit markings then?  Last time I looked they all had unit badges and fighter bars.

Pretty much, aside from a few that the fun police have yet to catch up with. It was nice to see a couple with No.9 Squadron markings at Fairford in the week but the other four had no unit markings at all.

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Pretty much, aside from a few that the fun police have yet to catch up with. It was nice to see a couple with No.9 Squadron markings at Fairford in the week but the other four had no unit markings at all.

Central servicing or is it because there aren't enough aircraft to go round?  I read that even though new squadrons are standing up there will be the same amount of aircraft.  Seems daft to me. Maybe they need to take it in tuns to fly, hence no squadron markings. 

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Central servicing or is it because there aren't enough aircraft to go round?  I read that even though new squadrons are standing up there will be the same amount of aircraft.  Seems daft to me. Maybe they need to take it in tuns to fly, hence no squadron markings. 

I imagine there is a security aspect to it but then it doesn't the brains of an archbishop to work out how many fast jet air stations there are 🤔😬

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, Meatbox8 said:

Have 3,11 and 29 lost their unit markings then?  Last time I looked they all had unit badges and fighter bars.

I think 29 still have just a few aircraft in markings, but 3 and 11 don't anymore (I stand to be corrected but I don't think they've been seen in markings for some while).

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, Seahawk said:

Eh, what?  207 Sq?  Thought the next squadron was to be a FAA one, 809.  Is this another round in the evil RAF plot to throttle FAA fixed wing aviation?

207 was always the next planned squadron, it's the OCU, chosen for reasons of having a joint RAF and RNAS/RN heritage. The next operational squadron to stand up will be, of course, and as always planned, 809.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, junglierating said:

I imagine there is a security aspect to it but then it doesn't the brains of an archbishop to work out how many fast jet air stations there are 🤔😬

How many F-35's can hover on a pin? That sort of archbishop? 😉

Perhaps, since the UK Lightnings have dropped bombs on Islamic State, the current situation is similar to the removing of unit markings on the P-3's of the USN in the late Eighties to prevent terrorists targeting specific units.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Agent K said:

I think 29 still have just a few aircraft in markings, but 3 and 11 don't anymore (I stand to be corrected but I don't think they've been seen in markings for some while).

Could this be because they have been operating against IS?  It is usual for the RAF to remove unit markings while on ops.  As the operation is ongoing perhaps its easier to not have markings as, presumably, the aircraft are rotated regularly.  Maybe the Lossie aircraft are being kept in the UK for QRA, hence them retaining squadron markings, and 29, being the OCU, wouldn't be going to the Middle East anyway..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Could this be because they have been operating against IS?  It is usual for the RAF to remove unit markings while on ops.  As the operation is ongoing perhaps its easier to not have markings as, presumably, the aircraft are rotated regularly.  Maybe the Lossie aircraft are being kept in the UK for QRA, hence them retaining squadron markings, and 29, being the OCU, wouldn't be going to the Middle East anyway..

QRA is, I believe still split between the 2 bases, and SHADER aircraft have come from both bases I believe so although yes the security implications are what I've always heard, it doesn't quite make 100% sense if fleets are pooled from both stations?

• Like 1

Squadron markings come and go I guess. At least the Typhoon squadrons had markings. Let's hope the Lightning units do eventually see a bit of colour. 

On the topic of terrorist retaliation, presumably the limited number of remaining RAF squadrons and bases would tend to mean that at some point most of the units/airframes will at some point see action, meaning everyone is a target. 

What troubled times we live in. Seems bizarre to think that back in the 80s we were at risk of nuclear oblivion but there was colour to be seen in bucket loads at airshows. Now we have a seemingly constant background rumble of distant conflict, year in year out, with the related risk to those involved daily, and all colours sanitised out of use.

As I say, what troubled times...

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me who thinks that they have missed a trick by not having 208 Sqn as the OCU rather than 207? Naval Eight was possibly the most famous RNAS unit of WW1 and since then as 208 Sqn has carved an impressive history right into the fast jet era. 

I hate this business speak that senior officers use these days,....... surely the lightning flash is a 617 Sqn emblem,...... not Lightning Force Branding??

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Is it just me who thinks that they have missed a trick by not having 208 Sqn as the OCU rather than 207? Naval Eight was possibly the most famous RNAS unit of WW1 and since then as 208 Sqn has carved an impressive history right into the fast jet era. 

I hate this business speak that senior officers use these days,....... surely the lightning flash is a 617 Sqn emblem,...... not Lightning Force Branding??

Cheers

Tony  

Euch. Lightning Force branding! What a horrible thought. And the RAF's nasty branding logo we see on some of the bigger aircraft as well. Yuck. Still it's good to see the UK defence budget being spent on such important things.

• Like 1

Several years ago , possibly before it was even flying , there was a quote from one senior RAF source saying that all UK F-35 would carry a shared lightning tail flash marking irrespective of which RAF/RN unit was operating them.     Quite unusual that seems to be happening - RAF Leuchars is safe for the next thirty years - the Nimrod MRA.4 will enter service as planned - were all said with similar certainty.

No doubt in time full colour tail markings will appear if someone else does it first as was the case with the Typhoon and the official view that the surface could not be painted until the Luftwaffe managed to do so ..... again ..... and again .....

Edited by Des

22 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony  

208 was in the running. The rumour is that someone in dark blue with a lack of knowledge of their air power history declared that 208 had spent too long as a single-service squadron and was inextricably associated with the RAF, thus a ‘more joint’ numberplate was required.

AIUI, after various persons had picked themselves up off the floor and attempted to illustrate that this was a crass failure to understand 208’s history - an illustration which was given a stiff ignoring, 207 (which was in the running because of its RNAS past and still notable seniority) got the nod instead. 207 was emphatically not the obvious choice on the small list of numbers offered up for selection....

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Des said:

Several years ago , possibly before it was even flying , there was a quote from one senior RAF source saying that all UK F-35 would carry a shared lightning tail flash marking irrespective of which RAF/RN unit was operating them.     Quite unusual that seems to be happening - RAF Leuchars is safe for the next thirty years - the Nimrod MRA.4 will enter service as planned - were all said with similar certainty.

No doubt in time full colour tail markings will appear if someone else does it first as was the case with the Typhoon and the official view that the surface could not be painted until the Luftwaffe managed to do so ..... again ..... and again .....

Luftwaffe can happily paint their Typhoons due to the difference in finish, UK and Italy (i think) have a "stealthy/low observation finish whereas German and Spain have just a standard finish at least thats how it used to be causing fun in the common spares concept.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 8:08 PM, XV107 said:

208 was in the running. The rumour is that someone in dark blue with a lack of knowledge of their air power history declared that 208 had spent too long as a single-service squadron and was inextricably associated with the RAF, thus a ‘more joint’ numberplate was required.

AIUI, after various persons had picked themselves up off the floor and attempted to illustrate that this was a crass failure to understand 208’s history - an illustration which was given a stiff ignoring, 207 (which was in the running because of its RNAS past and still notable seniority) got the nod instead. 207 was emphatically not the obvious choice on the small list of numbers offered up for selection....

Thanks so much for this insight,....... I`m gob smacked!! No wonder the Fleet Air Arm is nothing but a helicopter force relying on the RAF to provide fixed wing aircraft for its carrier/s now,....... with people like that in charge. Their Airships who conducted the hostile takeover under Joint Force Harrier must have been sniggering into their gin and tonics back in the ante room! 

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:16 PM, Timbo88 said:

I believe that's what the Armee De l'Air already do.

• 1 month later...