New Lightning markings.

GMK

Oh for a splash of colour! 

Out of curiosity, are there any international rules governing the national identification markings on military aircraft these days? With the fading away of even the minimal pale blue and pink of the UK roundel there isn't much left to say 'I belong to the RAF'. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Timbo88 said:

Oh for a splash of colour! 

Out of curiosity, are there any international rules governing the national identification markings on military aircraft these days? With the fading away of even the minimal pale blue and pink of the UK roundel there isn't much left to say 'I belong to the RAF'. 

I don’t think the international rules for military markings have changed. Going from memory (!), markings visible from the above, each side, and below are required.

With the aircraft being jointly operated by both the RAF & the RN, I’m guessing that the traditional “Royal Air Force” or “Royal Navy” titles are a bit too controversial to apply? 

I might be persuaded to like them a teeny weeny bit if they wore full colour insignia and unit identity... despite them affecting what stealth ability it might have.

• Like 2

There’s moves afoot to shift the roundel and add tail numbers, but a hard no (at this stage) for unit markings. 

The US Navy has sprung for full colour markings, and most other operators have unit markings, not sure why UK Lightnings don’t?

• Like 1

Let's hope interesting marking options start to appear on UK Lightnings as soon as possible. There is only so far low viz can go before there is nothing left. Regarding operator titles, how about 'Royal Air Force' on one side and 'Royal Navy' on the other?

Decal manufacturers must be thinking the same thing. I can't quite imagine an F35 Lightning decal sheet selling as well as an English Electric Lightning one!

• Like 3

I am guessing the aircraft will be pooled at Marham similar to the old LTW and therefore will only have basic markings along with 'branding'.  Matters not who is flying them, Crab or WAFU.

Although if there is a Union Jack painted on the inside of the fan cover as said, it would be great to see it in Red, White and Blue.

10 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Although if there is a Union Jack painted on the inside of the fan cover as said, it would be great to see it in Red, White and Blue.

Word is that it is full colour. 

• Like 1

If all aircraft are pooled how about a station badge or some other unifying and inspirational marking? That grey lightning design just seems so insignificant. Presumably those operating the new Lightning are not as interested in markings as us modellers.

My interest in modern military aircraft ends around 2000. As a modeller I just seem to find everything so drab and washed out nowadays, with little to grab my interest. Maybe the armed forces have shrunk to such a small size that the link between them and us, the public who follow their development and operations with interest and support, is breaking. To my mind the removal of markings ties in with this.

The days of RAF and USAFE airshows, open days and other public relations exercises seem to have faded away to almost nothing, just like their markings. What was inclusive of the public is increasingly exclusive. 

Just my thoughts! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Timbo88 said:

If all aircraft are pooled how about a station badge or some other unifying and inspirational marking? That grey lightning design just seems so insignificant. Presumably those operating the new Lightning are not as interested in markings as us modellers.

My interest in modern military aircraft ends around 2000. As a modeller I just seem to find everything so drab and washed out nowadays, with little to grab my interest. Maybe the armed forces have shrunk to such a small size that the link between them and us, the public who follow their development and operations with interest and support, is breaking. To my mind the removal of markings ties in with this.

The days of RAF and USAFE airshows, open days and other public relations exercises seem to have faded away to almost nothing, just like their markings. What was inclusive of the public is increasingly exclusive. 

Just my thoughts! 

Share your thoughts and have expressed similar myself over the past couple of years.

Whilst, ultimately with squadron and unit markings I guess the operation is paramount and they are the priority to be met, and there's stealth and considerations with the F35, it clearly is possible. For the Typhoon it would be nice to see unit badges and fighter bars back again. It seems Lossie can do this, but not CBY? Wouldn't it be nice to see 3, 11 and and 29 markings back again.

The link between the public and the forces is important for the continued support and I think both the markings and engagement and presence goes a long way to achieving that. I've said before that the RAF especially has pulled out of a lot of bases and there are areas of the country no longer with a (significant) permanent base or presence, namely the NW and SW. As you say, I think that is where the link is breaking.

I've also, perhaps controversially, noted where the RAF (and I understand the "public display" connotations and implications) do provide a significant amount of support to family days (and the family support is to be appreciated and recognised, I fully support that) where over the past few years as the public RAF display offering has reduced to a Typhoon and sporadic Tutor and Tucano, the family days have seen types not seen on the display circuit, such as the Tornado, Merlin's, Pumas and the large types too. I think this too leads to the disengagement from the masses.

My thoughts too.

19 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

There is only so far low viz can go before there is nothing left.

Decal manufacturers must be thinking the same thing. I can't quite imagine an F35 Lightning decal sheet selling as well as an English Electric Lightning one!

On that note, If anybody needs spare roundels, I have tons..

rmUzhc.jpg

😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

29 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Eh, what?  207 Sq?  Thought the next squadron was to be a FAA one, 809.  Is this another round in the evil RAF plot to throttle FAA fixed wing aviation?

Has me confused too. Mind you, in my mind 207 sqn still brings up images of those lovely De Havilland Devons!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Eh, what?  207 Sq?  Thought the next squadron was to be a FAA one, 809.  Is this another round in the evil RAF plot to throttle FAA fixed wing aviation?

Trying desperately to hang on and shake off the '100 Year Experiment' tag 😂

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:20 PM, Rickoshea52 said:

Not dissimilar to the white Vulcans with 617 Sqn lightning bolts on the fin, probably couldn’t afford to pay Lockheed for three bolts though. 

That's what I was thinking.  A 617 squadron marking.  Anyway, it's an improvement over the policy of not allowing any markings on the type.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 10:32 AM, Agent K said:

Share your thoughts and have expressed similar myself over the past couple of years.

Whilst, ultimately with squadron and unit markings I guess the operation is paramount and they are the priority to be met, and there's stealth and considerations with the F35, it clearly is possible. For the Typhoon it would be nice to see unit badges and fighter bars back again. It seems Lossie can do this, but not CBY? Wouldn't it be nice to see 3, 11 and and 29 markings back again.

The link between the public and the forces is important for the continued support and I think both the markings and engagement and presence goes a long way to achieving that. I've said before that the RAF especially has pulled out of a lot of bases and there are areas of the country no longer with a (significant) permanent base or presence, namely the NW and SW. As you say, I think that is where the link is breaking.

I've also, perhaps controversially, noted where the RAF (and I understand the "public display" connotations and implications) do provide a significant amount of support to family days (and the family support is to be appreciated and recognised, I fully support that) where over the past few years as the public RAF display offering has reduced to a Typhoon and sporadic Tutor and Tucano, the family days have seen types not seen on the display circuit, such as the Tornado, Merlin's, Pumas and the large types too. I think this too leads to the disengagement from the masses.

My thoughts too.

Have 3,11 and 29 lost their unit markings then?  Last time I looked they all had unit badges and fighter bars.