Ambush! VFC-12 Hornet

This is my 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18 depicting one of VFC-12's well known splinter jets. My first and probably only build for the year..

I used Furball decals, an AIM-9 from a Kinetic kit, the seeker head cover was made with a cotton bud and some plasticard and the AN/ALQ-167 is from Wolfpack, generously donated by @Stephen - once again, thank you! The seat is from the kit, made a bit busier by adding belts made from foil off a wine bottle.

Paints used were Tamiya and Mr.Hobby Aqueous for the main scheme and Mr.Hobby buffables for the metalwork.

Weathering is a mix of oils and make up (matt eye shadow from the high street).

Overall an enjoyable build, though I had to rescribe the kit due to shallow panel lines. A product of the kits age perhaps. It didn't give me much hassle beyond that so I'll forgive it..

I hope you enjoy the pics - comments and constructive crits welcome as always.

rI4kux.jpg

rI4JwN.jpg

rI4LWO.jpg

rI4Yj1.jpg

rI48TW.jpg

rI42H2.jpg

rI4emQ.jpg

rI4Tlm.jpg

rI4Wt8.jpg

rIDGCD.jpg

rIDIN5.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 61

If it ends up your only build for the year, then it's been a vintage year. That's a superb rendition of the Hornet. 

The paintwork is pin-sharp, wear and oil staining is spot on. And an accurate and original 'weapons' load as well.

Take a bow, that's a brilliant F-18. 👏👏👏

Alan

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

It must have taken 6 months just to mask and re mask! Good job.

About two weeks, doing 2 or 3 patches a day. If I did it again (and I won't) I'd spray the white first , then mask it. Instead, I sprayed the grey first so building up decent coverage of white and avoiding ridges was a balancing act.

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

weathering looks great - restrained but highly effective.  Well done!

Thank you. To my eye, though I like them grubby, I wondered if it was overdone. I get a bit carried away in the moment sometimes! Nice to have another set of eyes and opinion :)