Finally finished my first diorama! (Without trees next time it will have)

So here is my first diorama. I have been making models since I was a kid so I have been building a while I just never make this kind of thing. I did ask for advice in the discussion forums and it was given in spades so thanks very much to everyone who gave advice for that and the resin water. So I normally build jets on their own and thats about it. This was fun and a new experience for me. The scale is 1/32. The Mustang is a Revell kit (the old one not new) and the bamboo hut is the Airfix 1/32 hut. The figures are ICM and I forget the others. The plants were plastic plants from an aquarium shop and the base was made with a mixture of polystyrene and pollyfilla. Anyway here it is, my attempt and I am quite happy with the result. Colours here are all Tamiya or Mr Hobby.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

Cheers, the hut must be an old kit as I had not heard of it myself until I was asked to make it. It went together easily enough. 

Great job Deano.

Those aquarium plants look the business. I wish they did deciduous versions for the European theatre!

I'm afraid I didn't give any advice on the resin water because I assumed others would, but I wish now that I had. Because I'd have told you to paint the 'lake' bed before pouring the resin, OR to mix green and/or brown acrylic paint into some of the layers of 'water' - creating a slightly murky effect.

I do have a vague memory of seeing that bamboo hut way back in my youth - we're talking back in the 70's. If it wasn't your particular hut, it was something very similar.

A great first dio. I look forward to seeing your next one!

Reaguards

Badder

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

Cheers, the hut must be an old kit as I had not heard of it myself until I was asked to make it. It went together easily enough. 

There are quite a few available on eBay, and the prices aren’t too steep either. 

Look for: Bamboo House 1:32 Airfix A06382

From the Airfix website:

”Typical of the many structures and houses found on the Allied push through Burma and South East Asia durring WWII, this bamboo house is the perfect building for any Pacific Theatre diorama.

“The Bamboo House can be used as a base for Allied or Japanese troops, this dwelling is an accurate representation, which is suitable for use with the Airfix range of 1:32 Figures.”

original release was in 1973, reboxed in 2014

• Like 4

@Badder good to know, I was wondering how adding colour would work as I do want to do a ship with resin water. I quite like the idea of doing a ship alongside.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 11:38 AM, Deano353 said:

@Badder good to know, I was wondering how adding colour would work as I do want to do a ship with resin water. I quite like the idea of doing a ship alongside.

You might like to paint a bit of Tamiya clear paints a mix of smoke, blue and green might help to muddy the water but the dio is fantastic for your first one, what happened to the trees?

• 1 month later...

Looks cool, good job. The water looks great, its in the pacific so it would probably be nigh on crystal clear.

In terms of resin water next time try a few drops of artist inks they arent as pigmenty (is that a word?) as paints etc and mix in alot better, a drop at a time while mixing goes along way when poured. The dio below i wanted a murky ukrainian river so i gradually added inks in until the colour looked right. I painted the bed a muddy brown colour and used real rocks, wood etc and poured over that. For a ship out at sea where you cant see the bottom I'd paint the base darker shades, greens, blues, blacks mixed and blended together then use a blue ink see what that looks like and then maybe add some brown depending on which ocean. but only a small amount if you want it transparent. H

20190917_192504

20190917_192439

owever I also think that if your doing a surface ship and dont need/want to see through the water as much resin is a bit of a fuss on for little gain as it makes it harder to make bigger wave forms etc for larger scales like 35th/48th etc and personally would probably paint and glaze it.

Battle of Britain dogfight dio wip
  • Like 3