USAAF/USAF seat belts

hacker

l believe this is a good as place as any to ask a question. The standard USAAF seat belts you find in say a Mustang or Thunderbolt was carried over with the creation of the USAF. My question is how long did they use that system? l know there must be newer version now but it seems to me it was used for great period of time. Why l am asking is l got several 1/48 projects on the got including a OV-10A Bronco which from my point of view used that same belts as the mustangs did. l am l right or am l wrong?

Hacker.....fasten your belts this is going to be a bumpy ride!

They initially used the same lap belts on USAF ejection seats, but when they went to belts that automatically released during ejection they became noticeably different.

Regards,

Murph

4 hours ago, Murph said:

They initially used the same lap belts on USAF ejection seats, but when they went to belts that automatically released during ejection they became noticeably different.

Regards,

Murph

l figured on 1950 jets up to maybe just before 1960? Who really knows but it was an interesting question to ask

Hacker

Well, finally something I can answer a little about! The F-5A with the Norair seat still had the original wide web belt with the large latch in the front, and nylon loops for the shoulder harness. They had a piston to open the belt, that used gasses from the ejection system to open the belt after ejection. The high and low altitude system consisted of a hook to attach to the parachute handle, that had to be removed or attached, depending on altitude. The same system was on the Lockheed C-2 seats used in the F-104. 

The F-16 and subsequent series use a different lap belt, as the parachute harness is worn by the pilot, and the parachute itself is attached to the seat.

The Martin Baker systems used on British and Canadian aircraft use the harness included on the seat, but they have a MB buckle for the belt. 

The Bell mediums and heavies I have personally flown (Bell 205/212/214ST) Still keep the original belts, either in Black or Grey. Wide lap belt and narrow shoulder harness. With prescribed leather flap under the buckle...

26 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Well, finally something I can answer a little about! The F-5A with the Norair seat still had the original wide web belt with the large latch in the front, and nylon loops for the shoulder harness. They had a piston to open the belt, that used gasses from the ejection system to open the belt after ejection. The high and low altitude system consisted of a hook to attach to the parachute handle, that had to be removed or attached, depending on altitude. The same system was on the Lockheed C-2 seats used in the F-104. 

The F-16 and subsequent series use a different lap belt, as the parachute harness is worn by the pilot, and the parachute itself is attached to the seat.

The Martin Baker systems used on British and Canadian aircraft use the harness included on the seat, but they have a MB buckle for the belt. 

The Bell mediums and heavies I have personally flown (Bell 205/212/214ST) Still keep the original belts, either in Black or Grey. Wide lap belt and narrow shoulder harness. With prescribed leather flap under the buckle...

The last part is interesting . Never thought Helicopters. Wonder if that extended to the Cobras as well?

Hacker