Zvezda 172nd scale Su-25 Frogfoot, 378 OShAP, VVS, USSR, Bagram, Afghanistan, 1986...

• 2 months later...

Thanks Hewy...I'm back and at it...

I have primed the Rook and its assorted firecrackers.  I sprayed a bit of shadow first with Vallejo Black primer and then when that dried I went over it with the Vallejo Light Grey.  I will have to let all of this dry for a full 24 hours now.  That is the difference with the Vallejo primer as compared to others.  It really has to dry fully and set up or else it flakes and rips, etc...

The aircraft...

spacer.png

Here are the underwing doo-dads, party favours and wheels/tires.  Note that the rear part of the canopy has been included in this spray job.  I will leave the canopy open and since it opens from starboard the underside of the canopy will be visible.  I masked the topside with tape.  The underside I painted with household white glue, creating a mask.  This technique worked with the observation windows on the underside of my Brewster Buffalo a while back and I hope it will work here.  Not shown are the two sprue with hard points, nose wheel and undercarriage doors.  They have also had the same treatment.

spacer.png

Nice to be back at it!

--John

• Like 5

I have attached the hard-points to the underside of the wings and also glued in the very rudimentary Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-30-2 twin cannon (circled) to the nose.  Hmmm...upon looking at images on-line (after the fact) I have decided pull this off and replace it with two small pieces of plastic tube.  It'll be a small detail but it will make me happier.  

At this point I think I am ready for some paint.  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 3

I will be using the Vallejo Soviet scheme from 78-89...

spacer.png

First colour is the lighter of the two greens...

spacer.png

It looks mighty bright at this point but it will tone down with the darker green and the tan.  Much of it will be over-sprayed.  

--John

• Like 3

The first coat dried quick enough for me to add the second green, more of a dark green ochre really.  I'll let this sit overnight and then apply the first of the two 'sand' colours.  I know the edges look a little feathered but from the photos I have seen, the edges on this camo was not so sharp.  The brown bits will be easier to control I think.  I had to really up the psi to get the greens to flow properly.  This is my first multi-coloured camo (more than three) and I think it is looking pretty good so far!

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4

Just to show you, although I am sure everyone can agree...these tended to be very dirty birds...

I am not sure of the provenance of these images...the internet?  I didn't take them nor do I take any sort of credit for them...They seem to have been in the public domain.

This is a Slovakian Rook...

spacer.png

And here's a Soviet 2-seater...The 2-seaters tended to fly as many combat missions as the single.  Not just for training.

spacer.png

Grimey and stained with exhaust and what looks like oil and/or hydraulic fluid.  Better to blend into the background, I suppose.  

I'll post pictures of mine tomorrow as the camo is all but finished.  All I have to do is decide on what colour the underside should be...washed out sky grey or washed out sky blue?  It seems from what I have read that it could have been both off and on throughout the Afghanistan Conflict.  

I have a feeling that weathering this will be lots of fun! 🤗

• Like 3

Just thinking...there are quite a few kits of this aircraft out there, all of which could use some TLC and after-market upgrades.  Maybe Eduard could release a nice 1/72nd kit?  I don't think they've released a Sukhoi aircraft...

That would be nice.  Just as soon as I build all the new Fokker DVII...😉

• Like 1

Thanks guys...

All four camo colours are on and I am not satisfied with the edges so I will go around with a hairy brush and tighten them up a bit.  Still, coming along.  If I am ambitious I could have this wrapped up by tomorrow night or Monday at the latest.  I will flip a coin regarding the underside...

spacer.png

Party favours all set...I know what most of the doodads are but I have tried to figure out what those red-tipped thingys are and I cannot.  I think they are red tipped.  If anyone has any better info it would be much appreciated.  Some kind of bunker buster I think.  The rocket pods will get some black wash and everything will get some carefully painted little red marks near the attachment points since I don't have the stencils for them.

spacer.png 

--John

• Like 4