Use of kits?

My first post here and I couldn't see where to put this question after looking at the various options, so if you're a mod please feel free to move/delete.

I've been thinking about creating bespoke steampunk type figures for some time and the best way to do it. What materials, painting techniques etc. I'll probably want to sell these models. Recently I hit upon the idea of using parts from plastic model kits to create my new models. My question is, is it commercially allowed/legal to use parts from plastic model kits for your own completely new/original designed models, and then sell those models? Would doing that fall foul of any copyright/trademark etc of the original kits?

I think even castings from an original work detailed with kit parts would be OK... after all, Star Wars studio models are covered in kit parts from back in the day, and there's quite the quiz industry trying to work out which kits they were from, using, say, the Fine Molds model kits. As long as you don't clone the individual parts and sell them separately, you should be on safe ground...

best,

M.

• Like 1