Airfix's Douglas A-4Q

Began another Airfix kit last week. This one has really thick spruegates, so some parts ended up with some damage.

Box:

sBHf7uv.jpg

Sprues (the clear one is not pictured):

6fkyZlx.jpg

Decals (I'll paint the Argentinian flag instead of using the decals):

UpNTLCM.jpg

First assemblies. In order to reduce weight, I cut off the exhause of the exhaust pipe and glued them to the aircraft (not pictured).

EzbOrkw.jpg

More photos soon.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Are you going to trim the sun from the tail decals?

Nah, most likely I'll use one of those precut circles that have a hole in the centre and paint the sun like that.

• Like 1

Wings glued together:

IqT3Nxx.jpg

Cockpit glued to one side with a 10g weight glued behind it. I hope it's enough for the aircraft to be a nose sitter. I'll remove the intake if it's not enough weight.

EihefQq.jpg

• Like 4

More progress, this time I glued the fuselage halves, wings and other small parts.

The intakes had to have their locating edges removed, because they wouldn't fit as is.

Next up is painting however, I'll stop here for now, I've been feeling very under the weather for the past 6 months, and it's taken most of my interest from scale modelling.

knplz3c.jpg

1qQoEoL.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Nice neat airframe you have achieved. I am in the middle of a build of 3 airfix A-4Qs. Sensible removing all the unnecessary internals as I had to redo weighting a few times. 

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling the best. Hope you get on to the colours soon.

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

I'll stop here for now, I've been feeling very under the weather for the past 6 months, and it's taken most of my interest from scale modelling.

Fran, I've been there before, and for a longer period. I suffer from a type C hæmoglobinopathy disorder, which has put me off becoming a pilot in the Argie Air Force. It's something which reduces the amount of red blood cells in my system, so as I'd grow old at Escuela de Aviación Militar, I wouldn't have enough oxygen pumped at my brain at altitudes past 3500 metres high on non-pressurised trainers, with the ensuing grey-vision and faint.

It's does affect me at sea level too when the amount of white blood cells (leukocytes?) equals that of the red ones, and it makes me feel reeeeeeeeaaaaaaal bad for just a couple to eight months. Very rare now that it takes so long, but the first time it real sapped my energies and interest in anything. Thought I was going to perish, quite frankly.

Get well soon, my mate!

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Sad 3

@Valkyrie @Uncle Uncool @mdauben thank you three for the encouraging words. I've just arrived from the psychiatrist, who's upped my medication. (I'm 23). I'll begin daylight hospital treatment next week, hoping I'll get better.

However, not all is negative. I began seam filling the intakes of the Skyhawk. I have never filled seams, but the Skyhawk's one were too obvious, so I decided to grab the CA and begin filling.

Next to the A-4 is a SuE from the COAN in the 1990s. @Uncle Uncool are you buying La Nación's diecasts?

nuxOnoi.jpg

• Like 5

Fran!

Glad that you're taking care of you. I'll pray my Holy Mother so that everything turns out fine for you. Have faith, bruh. 

7 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

@Uncle Uncool are you buying La Nación's diecasts?

Learnt about the instalments the day they were released; went to the newsstand to find out about them and I was almost overwhelmed by the price tag on each ($720 the one which brought the Mirage, if I recall correctly).

I'm in such a tight budget since I lost my job some months ago.

I remember this same collection which released instalments weekly; the one which brought styrene pieces to build the 1/48 F-14 Tomcat - that was aeons ago, but I remember I bought only those instalments which brought the nose cone and lower rear fuselage fins in order to replace those awful ones in my Monogram kit.

:cheers:

Unc2

• Thanks 1

Gave the Skyhawk its first Light Grey coat.

I'm not sure about painting the flag on the rudder and horizontal stabilzers, RLM 65 is too light. I hope, however, that several coats of it will build opacity and yield a nice Argentinian Flag. Otherwise I'll have to use the decals.

iiYENpH.jpg

• Like 2

Me here again and ready to show you guys some more progress:

Aircraft's upper and lower sides fully painted:

jW34c50.jpg

OAVyrtc.jpg

Slats glued in place:

lsQ27qu.jpg

Argentinian flag brushpainted. This will save me a lot of decalling time and will keep my Microsol bottle full:

8IMeDHq.jpg

06IYAaY.jpg

This photo also shows the aircraft with the black antiglare panel painted:

slcLz0k.jpg

And an overhead photo showing the horizontal stabilizers and ailerons painted:

prBeH46.jpg

I'll begin daylight hospital to try to cure my ailments next Monday, so my modelling time will be on Weekends.

• Like 5

Such a nice Scooter, Fran!

Think the sky blue colour in the tail needs a little punch; compare the hue in the tail of your SuE build, for instance.

Yeh, those ribs in the rudder must be a nightmare for decals to adhere well to, methinks.

Hopefully, the Aztec South Atlantic Conflict sheet #1 will be available once again soon.

14 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I'll begin daylight hospital to try to cure my ailments next Monday, so my modelling time will be on Weekends.

Be relentless, my mate! Take your time.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Think the sky blue colour in the tail needs a little punch; compare the hue in the tail of your SuE build, for instance

The colour is lighter than it should be, but it was the only blue shade I had that looked more or less correct. It was that or dark blue.

The decals for the rudder would have needed a lot of Microsol and patience, something I lack.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Take your time.

Will do!

Hello sir, and greetings from a fellow Argie living abroad. I’ll follow along your build, she’ll look amazing with that great Super Étendart. Hoping you feel better soon. 

Cheers. 

Jorge

• Thanks 1

The Skyhawk is on the final lap and ready to get finished! Will matt varnish it tomorrow and add the landing gear and clear parts.

The decals, from Cartograf, didn't need any Microsol, amazing!

IyfPHkm.jpg.dyMrTfi.jpg

• Like 6

After being told by some people on my local scale modelling Facebook page that the ailerons weren't white (the real aircraft has them in Light Gull Grey), I've decided to leave them as is. I'm risking ruining the entire model should I try to repaint the ailerons in light grey.

VSarz14.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik

Que buen trabajo en el a-4!!

respecto a los alerones, no veo por que se arruinaria el avión repintandolos, si es que aun conservas el mismo gris que usaste en el resto del avion no creo que exista algun problema. Solo pintarlo despacio quizas con un pincel delgado. De todas maneras es tu avion y si prefieres mantenerlo asi no hay ningun problema ya que al final el modelo es tuyo y debe gustarte a ti. Sigue con el buen trabajo

Nice job on the A-4!

Now with the ailerons, i dont see why the plane would be ruined. If you still have the same gray you used in the rest of the plane, i dont see any problem at all. Anyway its your plane and if you prefer keeping it like that there is no problem since is your plane, the important thing is that you like it. keep up with the good work

1 minute ago, basaez.bruno said:

no veo por que se arruinaria el avión repintandolos,

La cosa no sería arruinar el avión, si no equivocarme en el pintado y pintar las anclas sin querer.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Yeh, Fran! YEH!

I'm in for the ride. Are you going to trim the sun from the tail decals?

3-A-305 was usually the mount of Uncle Marco Aurelio Benítez during the war in the South Atlantic.

Cheers,

Unc2

Hey Dude

No way!!!!!

Armando