[Takom 1/35] M3 Lee

Hi all,

I heard good stories about the M3 Lee from Takom, and I also thought it was a cool tank :). Reason enough to build it.

The tank

The M3 Lee, officially Medium Tank, M3, was an American medium tank used during World War II. In Britain, the tank was called by two names based on the turret configuration and crew size. Tanks employing US pattern turrets were called the "Lee", named after Confederate general Robert E. Lee. Variants using British pattern turrets were known as "Grant", named after Union general Ulysses S. Grant.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Lee
M3grant.jpg

The kit
yWUBDqU.jpg

The kit has really nice details and is good to build. You need to take really good care. For example: the entire upper structure must be build separately from the lower hull and mated later (not following instructions). Also, it seems (?) that the kit is missing one link per track, so you need to take care to leave sufficient space between the tracklinks to make a full track. I used the The Modelling News build blog as starting point. 

Other then that: good to build. I updated the barrel with those of RB Model (canons + MG).

I primed the tank with UMP primer and used Tamiya Olive Drab + highlights. On to the weathering stage :)

u71fTEx.jpg
yzo7743.jpg

Gr,

Jurrie

• Like 1

I highlighted the tank a bit more (I thought it was a bit too dark). I added the decals. They are nice, but really thick. Therefore, I used DACO Solutions strong to blend them in. This went really well except for the blue markings on the slides. I also sanded the decals a bit and used my airbrush to mist an olive drab layer on top. After that, a layer of  Alclad Aqua Gloss (happy with that one!).

mxKBIin.jpg
BDz8vVC.jpg
ezn7znw.jpg

Next steps: painting tracks, chips, pinwashes and filters. Also I'm going to look at possible stowage.

Cheers,

Jurrie

• Like 7

Hi all,

I progressed a bit further:

1. Highlighted all bolts (twice...did not like the first color..);

2. Painted some of the details (MG, wheels, etc)....need to finalize some stuff. Mainly used Vallejo;

3. Added some minor chipping (dark brown/gray Vallejo mix);

4. Pinwashes with all the bolt (van Gogh oilpaint, mix of Shadown brown and black. Thinned with turpentine). I found out that my previous finish was actually too rough, so this cost me some extra time..;

5. Oil dot technique (van Gogh & 502 Abteiling, yellow, light green, dark green, thinned with turpentine). To be executed: some highlights and shadows with the same technique;

After pinwashes, chips and painting details:
Kz037ZN.jpg
6RVPddl.jpg

After oil dot:
Sides:
lRRNcHM.jpg

Before/after (last photo shows entire engine deck done):
VdxnrNn.jpg
vmfXV2t.jpg
Lc1DxbY.jpg

Before/after:
I8J88Xa.jpg
KwDGQkg.jpg

Before/after:
798kqab.jpg
4pCl73L.jpg

Next steps: highlights & shadows with oil dot technique. Than streaks, further details, etc.

Cheers,

Jurrie

• Like 10

Looks great, and I can understand your excitement, but since you are still in the process of completing your build, it should be posted in the "Work in Progress"  section.  When completed, then you would post here for the final reveal.

regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...