‘90’s RIAT Flanker

Nick Belbin

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help, please?

I attended RIAT sometime in the mid to late 1990s (based on the age of my sons at the time). I’m trying to find out which Su 27 Flanker I might have seen. So I’m hoping someone here might have a clear recollection or, even better, a photograph.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nick

There were 2 Russian 2-seat Su-30s at the 1997 show coded 52 and 54 blue along with 2 Ukrainian Su-27s coded 48 and 57. The same Ukrainian Su-27s had also been present at the 1996 show.

Edited by rod mcq
additional information

That's fantastic, gents, thank you so much for the help and info.

The particular aircraft I'm particularly interested in I'm sure was one of the Ukrainian ones although I don't know exactly which. It performed a solo display – the memorable bit being the vertical climb, the falling backwards into a reverse mode before continuing on its way.

Would it be possible, Andy, to see some of the Ukrainian flightline images, please?

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Belbin said:

The particular aircraft I'm particularly interested in I'm sure was one of the Ukrainian ones although I don't know exactly which. It performed a solo display – the memorable bit being the vertical climb, the falling backwards into a reverse mode before continuing on its way.

The famous Cobra manoeuvre.

What scale are you planning on building? RoG's 2004 rebox of Hasegawa's 1/72nd Flanker-B featured the Ukrainian showbird as one of the options.

Cheers,

Andre

2 minutes ago, Hook said:

being the vertical climb, the falling backwards

That's a 'Tailslide' - not a Cobra.

Pugachev's Cobra is a pitch up to approx 90deg in horizontal flight then pitching forward to continue to horizontal.

Ken

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

That's a 'Tailslide' - not a Cobra.

Pugachev's Cobra is a pitch up to approx 90deg in horizontal flight then pitching forward to continue to horizontal.

Ken

Duh! You're right, of course. Thanks!

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Andre,

I'm afraid I'm a 1/48ther (!) so that's what I've been looking into.

I've found some interesting info on Britmodeller from Ken Flankerman (thank you) and Uncle Uncool. It's interesting to see that Unc will be using a Kitty Hawk Su-35 to correct the Hobby Boss fuselage length and lerx issues - does that not create other problems such as panel lines and access panels? Will he remove the wings and use the HB ones? So many questions . . .

Nick

On 16/07/2019 at 10:59, andyf117 said:

I'll see if I can dig them out, and scan them to be added to the Walkaround section - if Julien could perhaps point me in the right direction of how to submit them?

Hi,

you would need to send them to me, or if they are on-line then I can get them from your hsting site.

Thx

Julien