F154 Hawker Sea Fury fighter *** FINISHED! ***

Johnson

26 minutes ago, Rob S said:

so close yet no Cigar!

Oops! Sorry Rob - now correct!

Yes @Rob S (!) a Sabre or Griffon engined Sea Fury would be something. Surprising that no-one has made the resin conversion for the Airfix 1/48 kit, especially as the kit cowling isn't supposed to be that good. But there's also the wings (rads etc) to complicate things. Maybe one day.

'When fitted with a Sabre VII engine, LA610 was the fastest of all Hawker's piston engine fighters.' (from the Hawker - well BAe - website)

Cheers

• Like 1

Invasion stripes are always a bit tricky. Painted the white yesterday, but encountered problems. The FROG Sea Fury's ailerons are too long! I did know this :unsure: having compared the wings to my plans early on, but decided that it was just too much trouble / not worth it reducing them. If I'd thought ahead I would have realised that they determine where the Korean 'invasion' stripes start on 105/VR943's wings. Pah! So there's going to be a bit of compromise there.

And having done all the masking/spraying yesterday, I realised later that the position of the rear stripes was also incorrect; too far back (the kit's tailplane is too far forward! Only about 1mm, but it makes a difference). I'd also misjudged the height position of the ROYAL NAVY, VR943 & the 105. Not much right really, although the paint finish was excellent! ^_^

So off came the paint (an advantage of fresh enamel) and more masking this morning (I'm not getting many jobs done and may be pushing my luck :think:).

So, rear fuselage take #2:

Dscf1332

Let's see what happens next. As Martin says, 'What could possibly go wrong?'

Back soon!

• Like 8

EXHAUST OUTLET EMERGENCY SURGERY...

I can only say that I'm to blame, it's glaringly obvious and it's not as if I haven't done this before - and got it right  :blush: (30 years ago). I was in two minds whether to post this, but for anyone (foolish enough?)  who might want to try to make a fairly accurate Sea Fury out of FROG's little gem, this might be useful...

Sunday night. A nice Shepherd's Pie for supper (I cooked - bonus points!) with a pint of Morland's Old Golden Hen, a 'craft' beer, I've moved with the times 🍺 !  And not too strong - 4.1% (got to keep a clear head). Anyway, cleared up and I'm applying the Tamiya masking tape in preparation for painting the EDSG on the top of the fuselage. But something's amiss. I can't seem to get the correct line on the fuselage between the EDSG and sky and keep the start of the EDSG close enough to the exhaust stack (a recessed stainless steel plate behind the Centaurus engine). Better check what's going on here :huh:.

Have you ever had that awful sinking feeling in your stomach (and it wasn't the shepherd's pie) when you discover something unexpected and possibly terminal with your kit? :doh:. I'm sure most of you have and know what I'm talking about. The size of the exhaust stack recess is just too small. A reference to the plans (and the FROG Sea Fury I made 30 years ago!) shows it's too small (low) by 1.33mm which is rather a lot x 72. Nearly 4". Arrgghhh. What to do?

Options...

• Do nothing. It won't look right, but on the other hand it will save time and won't ruin the model.
  • Ditch the whole project :blink:. I've put a lot of time into this. And what would the hosts say?!
  • Fix it. I can't live with such an obviously incorrect detail, and one that I got right last time.

OK, out with the knives. New no. 10 and 10A scalpel blades. First remove the exhausts, then enlarge and reshape the recess behind the exhausts (the steel plate) and the recess behind (a mechanically operated venting slot). This was the result:

Dscf1335

This is not a procedure I'd recommend for a kit at this stage, but I think I may have got away with it! The sanding on the top of the fuselage was a bit of adjustment to cater for the new Rob Taurus canopy.

Now to replace the 18 exhausts. <_<

Cheers,

• Like 9

I’ve had that feeling, whilst decalling my Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury although its mainly down to the inaccurate decals that I took for granted to be correct. Once you start comparing to real life photos, the decals are either too large, too small, wrong font etc.. so mine now languishes back in the box half decalled until I think otherwise.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve had that feeling, whilst decalling my Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury although its mainly down to the inaccurate decals that I took for granted to be correct. Once you start comparing to real life photos, the decals are either too large, too small, wrong font etc.. so mine now languishes back in the box half decalled until I think otherwise.

Hi Dave,

Being a bit of a Sea Fury nut, I bought both the Airfix 1/48 kits, thought I'd better while they were still around. My (fairly superficial admittedly) look at the decals didn't scare me away too much, which ones do I need to check?

Cheers,

Not the kit decals Johnson, it was the all Oxford Blue Royal Australian Navy aircraft on the Xtradecal sheet. I must admit that I’m a bit of a pedant when it comes to fonts and the five in the ‘115’ is not correct. The underwing ‘NAVY’ is also too large. Overall it’s probably not noticeable when viewed in isolation, however if compared to photos it’s a little off. I really should finish her off either way. 

Cheers.. Dave

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I must admit that I’m a bit of a pedant when it comes to fonts and the five in the ‘115’ is not correct. The underwing ‘NAVY’ is also too large. Overall it’s probably not noticeable when viewed in isolation, however if compared to photos it’s a little off.

Quite right Dave, the font is most important! I've spent quite a bit of time (with some excellent guidance from @PeterB) making home made decals, and trying to get them correct on this FROG Sea Fury build. I had use Photoshop to do the fuselage number for the plane - 105 - because the 5 is slightly non-standard. I could have easily got away with using the RAF font that Pete supplied (they did in the two profiles of this plane that I've seen published) and I don't expect anyone but me would have noticed. But in the end, when it's sitting on the shelf, it would bug me and it just wouldn't have been right.

However, getting back to your kit (you must finish it :fight:), I've ordered a set of 1/48 Sea Fury decals from fündekals in the US which contain 115/WH589, 114/WH588 and another Korean RAN Sea Fury 138/WE676. Their website has a good image of the decals and a .pdf for positioning and paint. They did get the 5 (and other details) right on 105/VR943 so maybe they did the same for 115?

http://www.fundekals.com/seaFury2.html

If you're interested I can let you know what the quality is like when they arrive,

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the decal link, I completely forgot about this set, perhaps I should try to remove my decals and order a set of these? I have used a few decal setting solutions to bed them down however haven’t cleared over the top as yet. They also do ‘114’ which was my preferred first choice (as everyone models 115?). I’m sure the quality will good. Thanks, you’ve revitalised my interest in this S.O.D kit! 

Cheers.. Dave

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

a bit of a battle but you have come out victorious

Thanks Chris, I'm slowly winning this battle, I've been repairing the exhausts and repainting the surround this evening, but there's more in this war yet, and I've got to win that before 6th Oct!

Cheers,

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

Looked at the 1/48 sheet on your link and see what you mean about a non standard "5" - bit of a pain but I guess you can manipulate it pixel by pixel. Easy but tedious. Consider yourself lucky it was plain black - imagine doing red with a white surround for a Shackleton!

Bits posted this evening.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:49 AM, Johnson said:

If there was going to be a prize in this GB for 'least OOB kit build'... it would probably go to @Rob S and his Avro Lincoln! But I reckon this might come second.

Dscf1272

From 1985/6 here's an unfinished least OotB (can't write "OoB" as in my Work World that means "Out of Balance"!) Sea Fury

48712124448_d26e619b65_b.jpg  

Now have a guess exactly which Box this one was started from?  (and no Dave you can't guess as you already know!  Actually Pat might be excluded as well because I think I have posted this before in one of his Builds.)  

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 11:33 PM, Rob S said:

LA610.  

hawker-fury-griffon-la610.jpg

Good photo of the installation here

furyla610-3.jpg?w=470&h=332

By the way and as I don't know if we are allowed to post ebay links here I won't post the Link now but can provide it if asked but thought I  should at least mention that I found on ebay someone in the US of A selling resin noses (with integrally moulded Spinners for some strange reason) for this Griffon installation on LA610.  I have no connection with the Seller just found it on a search the other day.  Although it's apparently meant for the PM Kit it might be a quick way to have another yet different Frog Sea Fury Build to add to the Group Build numbers?  

Sorry to hijack your Thread Charlie!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Now have a guess exactly which Box this one was started from?

Well, that's a tough one Rob!

It doesn't look FROG, unless the builder has moved the oil cooler out, but then why not put a carb intake in (which I can't see in the pic, but it's in a dark area)? And the fairing behind/below the exhausts are different, something FROG got roughly right.

I've sold my PM (later Airfix) Sea Fury that I couldn't face building, but doesn't look much like that much either. from what I can remember. Nor my Trumpeter SF still languishing in it's box.

From your location, my guess is the vac 1/72 High Planes model. My Airframe SF book says it was around in 1983 as a Reno Racer 'Furias', so the timing would be right. But I've not seen one - nor Googled it! Which I'm going to do next! ^_^

Anyway, nice SF and it needs finishing! :fight:

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

I don't know if we are allowed to post ebay links here

I have and haven't been told off yet! :unsure:

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Sorry to hijack your Thread Charlie!

Not at all - it's good Sea Fury stuff! And there's still the prize for least OotB! I must check how your Lincoln is going.

Cheers,

40 minutes ago, Johnson said:

And there's still the prize for least OotB! I must check how your Lincoln is going.

It's not really going anywhere at the moment and unknown for the foreseeable future as tomorrow is "Moving Day*"!  

(^= "Day" meaning three or four weeks or more if the Mule breaks down!)  

44 minutes ago, Johnson said:

From your location, my guess is the vac 1/72 High Planes model. My Airframe SF book says it was around in 1983 as a Reno Racer 'Furias', so the timing would be right. But I've not seen one - nor Googled it! Which I'm going to do next! ^_^

I don't think High Planes did any Vacuforms?  Lots of limited run stuff but 1983 seems a bit early as I think Greg was still mucking around with resin casting in the mid 80s and didn't go on to limited run injection moulding until the 90s when Steve came along?  I must have a look into it myself and refresh the memory!  

I might have to give a hint actually and say the base kit is NOT a Sea Fury kit.  Does that help?  

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I might have to give a hint actually and say the base kit is NOT a Sea Fury kit.  Does that help?

Well, No. <_<  But at least I know what not to look at. I think this quiz is open to others (but not Pat and Dave). Come on folks, Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

tomorrow is "Moving Day*"!

Nor sure which is the biggest stress, moving house or masking and painting a model Sea Fury. 

Best of luck with the move!

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Funnily enough, FROG/Penguin did a Tempest II, but it's probably not that one.

I hope not because I'm not THAT old!  

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Matchbox

And the Winner is

.... Charlie!  

It was a lot of work back then and even now if I was silly enough to do it again.  Maybe I should refurbish it ... one day.  

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

it was a lot of work back then

I'll bet. Getting the oil cooler on the other wing must have been fun. Is there work build thread?

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Maybe I should refurbish it

Nothing to lose, and a shame not to after all the work that went into it.

Edited by Johnson
More stuff

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I'll bet. Getting the oil cooler on the other wing must have been fun. Is there work build thread?

Yes but being pre Internet the Build Thread is on Parchment that may have deteriorated over the years and the Illustrations are on a Cave Wall somewhere!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

but being pre Internet the Build Thread is on Parchment

Dagnabbit , yes of course, there was such a time.

Anyway, back to the thread (if there was one)...

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

someone in the US of A selling resin noses (with integrally moulded Spinners for some strange reason) for this Griffon installation on LA610.  I have no connection with the Seller just found it on a search the other day.  Although it's apparently meant for the PM Kit it might be a quick way to have another yet different Frog Sea Fury Build

Nice idea, but not sure about 'quick way', not with my rate of build. Maybe FROG GB II. Do they do a Sabre nose? (fastest Sea Fury), quite fancy that.

2 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Do they do a Sabre nose? (fastest Sea Fury), quite fancy that.

Don't know but I will ask as I'll probably buy one of the Griffon Noses anyway just for comparison.  

• Thanks 1