F154 Hawker Sea Fury fighter *** FINISHED! ***

Johnson

Thanks again chaps for your invaluable support! I do appreciate it.

I fully intend to get it done one way or another! Finish off the decals in the next few days and then a final coat of varnish, then just got attach all the bits and bobs. Sounds easy but I have a real gift for making things complicated. I'd really hoped to get another OOB build in this GB, no chance now.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

All the demarcation lines are so sharp and neat.

Thanks Tony, some credit must go the the people at Tamiya for their excellent low-tac masking tape. I used Sellotape for masking on my previous FROG Sea Fury (post #5 back at the beginning of this thread). It's also very important to get the tape off the model as fast as possible once painted to avoid hard raised lines, though a few are inevitable.

Today it was airbrushing the final top coat of varnish. It went OK, but not without it's drama and ARRRGGHH moments as both my ancient airbrushes (Badger 150 and my preferred Aerograph Super 63) refused to spray the acrylic varnish. They both hate the stuff and block up. A thorough clean with cellulose thinners sorted things out and the coat was successfully applied. Are modern airbrushes any better? I doubt it.

Final bits, bobs and whatnots to paint and attach (u/c, drop tanks etc), wake the pilot up and maybe we'll be flying in a day or two?!

Cheers (beginning to feel like it at last),

• Like 4

• Johnson changed the title to F154 Hawker Sea Fury fighter *** FINISHED! ***

Blimey, the Sea Fury is finally done!

Back in July Dave set me something of a challenge when he commented (post #7) on the Sea Fury I'd made back in about 1989;

On 7/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

you’ve set yourself a nice high bar I’d say

So I felt I had to improve on that old model, which was not perfect by any means, but I had put a lot of work put into it. You'll have to judge whether I achieved it!

I sprayed a piece of old worktop to represent the front of HMS Glory, and the 'badgers', the Navy Airmen at the front of the carrier who prepared the catapult for the next launch,  are much modified Hasegawa US ground crew.

Dsc_0126r

On Deck

The last few days have been spent fixing all the bits and bobs; aerials, pitot tube (broke off in the final photo session!), drop tanks and rockets - they were a tight fit!

Dscf1440

I've got to say a great big thanks to everyone who supported me, especially our very hard working hosts Pat and Dave @JOCKNEY @Rabbit Leader, and also to Pete @PeterB who provided the extra rocket rails and helped me enormously with the home made decals - great fun!

Pics in gallery shortly.

Cheers!

Edited by Johnson
More stuff
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Certainly worth the effort Charlie - superb build, or "she's a beaut" as Dave might say if you believe the stereotype Aussies shown in films!

Pete

• Thanks 1

That’s a ‘Beaut’ and a downright ‘Corker’ Charlie!!! Sensational stuff and all so accurate with the application of Hawker’s Yellow paint for the internal bits. You’ve sailed well and truly above the bar and I just love that first atmospheric scene. It’s amazing just how far you’ve taken Frogs basic kit, this Sea Fury build now matches it with today’s best ... this is modelling perfection! 

Cheers and well done.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps.

It certainly was more of a marathon build than I'd intended, a bit too intense at times (as Mrs J will attest!). A few minor niggles that could be improved (the starboard middle flap! :huh:) But overall I'm pleased with the end result.

The Humbrol 74 'linen' recommended for the wheel wells etc is a bit brighter than I'd thought, and comes out even brighter in the pics! And I'm not entirely struck by the red stripes on the hook, but looking at the photo of '105' it seems to have been thus (confirmed on other Korean Sea Furies in vintage footage in the excellent YouTube film on the Sea Fury). It would have been very useful to the landing crew on deck watching as the Fury came in to land; 'Wheels down,,, flaps down... hook down'.

Best regards,

Excellent Sea Fury and setting, Charlie. well done. The deck crew really animate the model and the Humbrol 74 (by another name, 'Hawker Yellow') is bright but it looks right! All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Very nice finish. I also like your display ideas.

Thanks Greg. I was trying to emulate the scene in the great photo in post #1. Not entirely successful, getting the angles and focus right proved very difficult, not to mention risky as my recently finished pride and joy dangled precariously on the end of a B&D Workmate on the end of a piece of perspex held there with blue-tac while I tried to get a pic. Trying to get the Badgers and the Fury in focus while getting the sea (a blue towel) out of focus stretched my photographic abilities to the limit! Better in pic 2 above. I learned quite a bit about how to use aperture priority on my Nikon SLR in the process.

The following photo will prove how balmy I really am and may be used in evidence by my wife when she finally has me sectioned. She arrived home to find the kitchen (the only place with enough room and light) turned into a bizarre photographic studio.

The strange arrangement of the furniture is an attempt to get the 'horizon' at the right angle to the end of the flight deck, and the dangerous gap under 2 months of work was necessary to ensure the 'sea' was sufficiently out of focus.

Dscf1425

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Fabulous work, it looks really smart. And your photography set up shows dedication and determination. If your wife walks through the next time you have your studio out, get her to blow the prop round...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

That’s a great photography set up there Charlie, very thought provoking. Now calling yourself ‘insane’ seems a bit harsh, let’s adjust this to ‘passionate’ a somewhat more pliable term to describe how dedicated we modellers can be at times. This whole thread has been great to watch and has ended up a real winner.

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

get her to blow the prop round...

I was going to try to get the prop rotating, having seen the @Jinxman excellent pics of the Spit XIV, but it was just too difficult, not to say risky, with the setup I had.

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

calling yourself ‘insane’ seems a bit harsh

Thanks Dave, you're quite right and I was definitely being tongue-in-cheek, I don't think they're coming for me just yet :unsure:...

But there were moments during the photography that I did think what I was doing was just a little bit risky. A bit like when I used to climb. It wasn't as bad as all that, when I wasn't trying for a pic, I had a board and cushioning under the Fury (and I always used a rope when climbing!) The Sea Fury is now happily parked back on the flight deck again having had a good 'landing on'. :)

Thanks again everyone for your comments, I really appreciate them!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

What a splendid result! 

I must have missed this thread first time round, but I've come upon it while doing some research for the Novo Sea Fury I'm working on at the moment.  Regarding the apparent warp in one of the main gear doors, mine has it too, and I'm wondering if it was actually moulded that way to conform to the rear of the oil cooler.  I'll be replacing mine anyway with a suitably shaped piece of plasticard.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

What a splendid result!

Thanks, most kind. I was happy with the result though it seemed an awful lot of work at the time. Still not entirely happy with the primer colour (Humbrol 74, Linen, supposed to be a match for Hawker Yellow Primer). I think that its far too bright.

7 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I'm wondering if it was actually moulded that way to conform to the rear of the oil cooler.

I hadn't considered that Joseph, and quite likely. I have a few old Fog Sea Furys in the stash, and they all seem to have it, so not a random warp.

Best wishes for your Novo build!

Cheers