1/72 F-8E Hasegawa as F-8H VF-111 1970

I decided to do this to take a break from the Sabre Hog and Canberra builds. This will be

pretty much a "relief valve" from the more stressful builds. That and I think the Crusader

was the best dogfighter of the 60s. The only non OOB things I will do is add thin copper

wire ejection loops to the seat and add a blanking plate so the intake won't be a "see

through" affair. I was going to use the VF-111 kit decals but the red color seemed to have

run onto the white , looks odd. So I will search for some VF-211 decals of hopefully

Paul Speer from 1967.---John

5phe6t1.jpg

vgSPGMu.jpg

zd366wP.jpg

o6ykTpO.jpg

• Like 4

No stress here, I built it years ago and know all about it's short comings.

I am building it as is....no stress allowed! 🙂---John

FvE5htA.jpg

• Like 4

The wing is assembled, needs holes for pylons I puttied to be sanded. I did a test fit of the wing

in the raised position on the fuselage.---John

8rBDfPE.jpg

• Like 4

I'll be watching this one. I was sold on the Academy kit, it'll be interesting to see how this goes. I will say one thing, the flaps come down as the wing goes up, it's a two position wing. Just so you know unless you do already. Looks nice so far.

Very well aware of the flaps and slats position when the wing rises. I am pondering buying the

Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E just for that reason. I had the Monogram 1/48 once but I really like Hasegawa's

approach to the flaps and slats.---John

Y5aTO4E.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnv said:

Very well aware of the flaps and slats position when the wing rises. I am pondering buying the

Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E just for that reason. I had the Monogram 1/48 once but I really like Hasegawa's

approach to the flaps and slats.---John

Y5aTO4E.jpg

Nice set up, on Academy you have to cut them out and get resin replacements.

• Like 1

You do realize you can cut Hasegawa's too! That's what stopped me from buying

Academy, all that nice molding and they still didn't give you positionable flaps or

slats!!!! What's the deal Academy? Don't they look at their own boxart?---John

1 hour ago, Johnv said:

You do realize you can cut Hasegawa's too! That's what stopped me from buying

Academy, all that nice molding and they still didn't give you positionable flaps or

slats!!!! What's the deal Academy? Don't they look at their own boxart?---John

It is to bad Academy didn't make the parts separate. It takes a couple of hours (if you're quick) to cut the flaps out and finish them. F-8s look cooler sitting with the flaps down and wing up. That's the biggest drawback to the kit.

I re-examined the decals and they are not as bad as I thought, I'll use them.

I did however discover that I am actually building an F-8H NOT an F-8E! The '70

cruise had the Sundowners with the H model, an upgraded D model.---John

Johnv,

Great start and great work so far. I have a great number of the early (late 70's and 80's)  72nd scale kits from Hasegawa. Go together quit well and have minimum putty. Have a small number unbuilt left at this time.  I build this very same kit way back in the early 80's. A fellow I work for wanted a test subject for a camera course. Here were the results.

Has1-72ndScale-F-8E-Crusader F-8E-Crusader-TopView-72ndScaleHas

I still have this model in my cabinet.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnv said:

I re-examined the decals and they are not as bad as I thought, I'll use them.

I did however discover that I am actually building an F-8H NOT an F-8E! The '70

cruise had the Sundowners with the H model, an upgraded D model.---John

Given the prigress of your build this may not change your plan in any way, but "for the record" the F-8D and F-8H variants still had the early style nose shape ("egg" cross section), as opposed to the F-8E's enlarged radome with ogival nose and circular cross section as represented in Hasegawa's kit. 

Good photo of the H nose shape here:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Philippines-Air-Force/Vought-F-8H-Crusader/771732

• 2 weeks later...

That looks very neat - I have one of these on the go, but I made the decision to use the hairy stick only - I might have to give in and break out the airbrush after seeing this!

Thanks.....I DON'T do airbrush. I started into modeling over 5 decades ago on brushes and taught myself the "art" of the aerosol can.

I won't use an airbrush, they are most excellent for most modellers but my preference is the aerosol can, it is my way of expressing my

form of "art".---John

a4yEKqn.jpg

• Like 4