Masking help P-38 in 1/48

Lonners

Hi all,

Returning to modeling with a Eduard Pacific P-38 kit I chanced upon on ebay, having just read "Forked-Tailed Devil"  previously, I had to have it.

spacer.png

Interesting project so far being the first time I've used either photo etched or resin parts. Safe to say I've lost/crushed a few PE bits & made a few errors along the way but still pleased with it so far.

Not feeling ready to do a NMF I'm aiming to build it up to an olive green / grey version flown by Capt Jay T Robbins in 1943 

spacer.png

I'm nearing the stage to start painting (1st attempt with an airbrush) but having built the canopy (pig of a job) & now applied the Eduard mask set supplied with the kit (another first) I'm really disappointed with the 2 side windows which have a X brace across them, the mask set is just not even and will look awful if I don't correct it. So can anyone point me in the direction of some tips on how to address this without losing too much hair. I would say my modeling abilities are rusty & limited by fat fingers & unsteady hand but I have high hopes & willing to learn.

Thanks in advance, will post some pics when I remember to stop fiddling and take some.

Lonners

First off, welcome aboard!

Pictures would be very helpful to understand the nature of the problem.

If the masks themselves are uneven, you could always cut new replacement masks. Tamiya tape, sharp #11 blade, straight edge, dividers, and a cutting mat are all you need.

If you've applied them unevenly, is there anything stopping you from gently pulling them off and trying again? If they tear, you can always make new masks. 

BTW, if you haven't already done so, spend some time practicing with the airbrush before you aim it at your model. Learn how to thin the paint if needed, how to aim the airbrush, build up some practice applying an even and smooth coat of paint. 

I have attached links to two photos that show the 'x' braces on the sliding panels, as well as the one across the top of the hinged section of the canopy. In 1/48 scale, you could mask these reinforcement frames, paint the interior color, then the exterior color. There is another option: get some very thin auto pinstriping tape, paint the exterior color on it, then cut sections to fit the canopy; this tape is very thin and flexible, and can be pulled along curved surfaces very easily- won't be able to paint the interior cockpit color on the tape, though, so the color of the tape used will possibly show through, especially if you have either of  the side windows down or the top of the hood open. If you mask the frames, be sure to get the 'x' panels equal in angle and length. Note that the 'x' braces and the one across the top of the hood are fixed externally, but the two vertical reinforcement bands sometimes seen on the rear fixed portion of the canopy are internally fixed. Hope this helps. Me, I'd mask them and paint the interior and exterior colors, especially in the bigger scale you are building.

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=P-38+Lightning+canopy&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=W4SO9Vc8CXeKOM%3A%2CIdeJCXimqZ945M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ11COtTPIHjHeTF-9QWs_G1WOQBA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiO_sav7bfjAhVHWq0KHXcZD5QQ9QEwBXoECAIQDg#imgrc=RLZfDeWok1dsRM:&vet=1&spf=1563226006530

https://www.google.com/search?q=P-38+Lightning+canopy&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=W4SO9Vc8CXeKOM%3A%2CIdeJCXimqZ945M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ11COtTPIHjHeTF-9QWs_G1WOQBA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiO_sav7bfjAhVHWq0KHXcZD5QQ9QEwBXoECAIQDg#imgrc=a3GhiVlOzrNcBM:&vet=1&spf=1563226221843

Brilliant photo's Modeler72 helps me understand the uneven sections on the mask as the top starts in the corner but the bottom is about 3/4 along the bottom frame.

No matter how I try I can't get a placement I'm happy with that will result in an even X using the existing mask, so I'll experiment with trying to cut my own. I built the canopy onto the model to ensure the fit was correct so I have to approach it externally only.

The other things your photo's helped me better understand is the mirror and the top brace which isn't in the mask or shown on the imagery.

DNL42 cheers once I stop playing with masks etc I'm also just setting up an area that I can use for airbrushing and will get some practice in 

Canopy masking

What I did that made it easy is I cut thin strips of tape with a sharp #11 blade and a steel ruler, masked and painted one diagonal of the brace, then masked and painted the other. Now you have a perfect, symmetrical 'X'.  It's then a simple matter to mask the square window - out line with thin strips, then fill in with chunks of masking tape.  The biggest mistake (IMHO) is trying to mask with a single piece of tape. It's much better to outline with thin strips, and then piece in the rest. The other advantage is with thin strips of tape, you can follow curves easily and accurately.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1

Couple of thoughts on the X frames. 1: It may be easier to mask them one at a time, simply using two pieces of tape. Lay the pieces of tape on either side of one frame; paint; remove the tape; do the same process for the other frame.

2. If you're not planning to build the kit with the canopy closed, you can cut off most of the two side pieces leaving just the strip at the top. Glue those in place to simulate the panels being mostly rolled down -- they worked like auto windows.

Just a different take on the problem. Can you cut some decal strips the same size (width & length) as the frame, spray them OD and apply them over the existing paint work to even things up?

10 hours ago, pat d said:

Just a different take on the problem. Can you cut some decal strips the same size (width & length) as the frame, spray them OD and apply them over the existing paint work to even things up?

This is what I do and is the easy way to do it. Spray the interior colour first then the exterior colour. It's dead easy.

• Like 1