Post War FR Mk.XIVe Gunsight Question.....

andym

Hi All,

Currently building the new Airfix Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe, and will be finishing it in the No 11 (AC) Sqn. RAF, 2TAF, Buckeburg, Germany, 1950-51 option. Would this have been fitted with the later gyro gunsight or the original older type (as kitted by Airfix)? The one post war pic I have found of TZ112 doesn't show this clearly enough? Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Andy

1 hour ago, andym said:

Hi All,

Currently building the new Airfix Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe, and will be finishing it in the No 11 (AC) Sqn. RAF, 2TAF, Buckeburg, Germany, 1950-51 option. Would this have been fitted with the later gyro gunsight or the original older type (as kitted by Airfix)? The one post war pic I have found of TZ112 doesn't show this clearly enough? Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Andy

By 1950 time period I would think it would be safe to assume that all front line aircraft would have the gyro sight in the interest of standardisation,  and as the RAF had contracted  in size post war the gyro sights would have been readily available.

Selwyn 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PLC1966 said:

Chap, sorry cannot help with the question, but it is II(AC) Sqn as in 2Sqn rather than 11(AC) Sqn.

Yeah, my duff keyboard skills! :)

16 hours ago, Selwyn said:

By 1950 time period I would think it would be safe to assume that all front line aircraft would have the gyro sight in the interest of standardisation,  and as the RAF had contracted  in size post war the gyro sights would have been readily available.

Selwyn 

That's pretty much what I was thinking, will need to find a spare gyro sight, have some resin ones somewhere.

Thanks,

Andy