1/72 - Dassault Mirage 2000 family by Modelsvit - M2000C/-5F/D released - new M2000C boxing in April 2024

Homebee

On 27/03/2021 at 12:22, CharlieGolf2009 said:

Although the current boxing seems to have all the parts necessary in order to make a Dash 5, I'll be ordering 3 more of this one. 

Not true, this boxing lacks the ventral pylons (and extra missiles) for the Dash 5, so I'll be anxiously waiting for their next release. Hope we get a 2000-9 also. :) 

Unfortunately, for the Mirage 2000EG, we get no Exocet ASM and extra Matra Magic II with their respective pylons, nor the emergency arresting hook beneath the tail. It's fixable of course, but such a nice kit deserves to come with all the options possible. I hope the next boxings don't let us down. ;) 

spacer.png

9 hours ago, CharlieGolf2009 said:

we get no Exocet ASM and extra Matra Magic II with their respective pylons

You could rob those from Special Hobby's soon-to-be-reissued Mirage F.1EQ kit.

Cheers,

Andre

9 hours ago, CharlieGolf2009 said:

Not true, this boxing lacks the ventral pylons (and extra missiles) for the Dash 5, so I'll be anxiously waiting for their next release. Hope we get a 2000-9 also. :) 

Unfortunately, for the Mirage 2000EG, we get no Exocet ASM and extra Matra Magic II with their respective pylons, nor the emergency arresting hook beneath the tail. It's fixable of course, but such a nice kit deserves to come with all the options possible. I hope the next boxings don't let us down. ;) 

spacer.png

Arresting hook is provided in the kit. photoeteched part #Z29. 

http://fanakit.free.fr/analyse/2000_modelsvit/07.jpg

http://fanakit.free.fr/analyse/2000_modelsvit/12.jpg

Ivan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there

Regardng that I already order my Modelsvit kit *(from Hannants) so during this waiting due the normal (bad or worst) service at my local mail service. I wonder if the Italeri underfuselage pylons are well shaped and can be used also wondering about the right shape and dimension of the under fuselage Mica pylons

Cheers

Armando

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 8:08 AM, RAGATIGER said:

Hi there

Regarding that I already order my Modelsvit kit *(from Hannants) so during this waiting due the normal (bad or worst) service at my local mail service. I wonder if the Italeri underfuselage pylons are well shaped and can be used also wondering about the right shape and dimension of the under fuselage Mica pylons

Cheers

Armando

I just got my birthday package from Hannants today (late better than never) and also included a single Modelsvit Mirage 2000C in 1/72: top noch instructions and with details explaining the variants, lots of parts and comprensive selection of weapons. Impresive decals (even so I already order the new ones from Skyhart for other options and stencils)

While I still waiting for some more old Heller kits of both single and twin seaters of the Mirage 2000 family, a friend of mine got me a Misterkit (for other decals variants including Brazilian and Peruvian) in Mexico City and also on its way all still modeling plan but not all members present

One thing about Matra Super 530 the one on Modelsvit intended for the Mirage 2000 is about 2-3 mm longer than the one on Special Hobby Mirage F-1, so no real difference but if so you can cut it and add a 2mm shim

Regards

Armando

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

One thing about Matra Super 530 the one on Modelsvit intended for the Mirage 2000 is about 2-3 mm longer than the one on Special Hobby Mirage F-1, so no real difference but if so you can cut it and add a 2mm shim

Be aware. Basically, Mirage F1s, with Cyrano IV radar, used Super 530F, shorter (approximatively 20 cm, or 2,7 mm at 1/72 scale) than Super 530D used by Mirage 2000 with RDI radar (from s/n 37 Mirage 2000)...

Edited by eclipse
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

All depends on  the provenance of the drawing, doesn't it?

And their accuracy...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DenKhorosh said:

Hey guys! Do you know an old saying? If a model doesn't allign with a drawing, then you shoud thow the drawing away))

This.

No one is going to walk up to you and comment on an otherwise beautifully built up kit and say: "You did a great job but it is 5mm shorter".

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 2:09 PM, drake122 said:

This.

No one is going to walk up to you and comment on an otherwise beautifully built up kit and say: "You did a great job but it is 5mm shorter".

Because it is not your fault... but your choosing of a kit to build is yours. Many modellers wouldn't buy or build a kit with a glaring shape error, even if it builds up smoothly. Or would take pride in correcting the error, though the final result would not be so tidy as an OOB build. Different approaches to modelling.

Fernando, locked up at home in Buenos Aires

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:09 PM, drake122 said:

This.

If you’ve ever competed at shows you’d know that wasn't true. One of the many reasons why I quit competing. 

On 5/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, Laurent said:

Less distortionspacer.png

Hello,

I do not support the fuselage being short. Years ago, there was the same discussion about Italeri's Mirage 2000 being too long. It's all about is the length quoted with or without pitot? To overcome this: The wheel base of the 2000 is quoted as 5'000mm (69.44mm in 1/72). If you adjust the size of above picture accordingly, length from exhaust to nose tip is pretty 200mm in 1/72 which equals to the quoted length of 14'360mm. Overlaid on the kit the length and proportions are OK.

Regards,

Martin

Source: Checklist #2 Mirage 2000 by Philippe Roman & Alain Crosnier

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

Because it is not your fault... but your choosing of a kit to build is yours. Many modellers wouldn't buy or build a kit with a glaring shape error, even if it builds up smoothly. Or would take pride in correcting the error, though the final result would not be so tidy as an OOB build. Different approaches to modelling.

Fernando, locked up at home in Buenos Aires

Well, I wouldn't buy a kit with a glaring shape error either. 🤷‍♂️

But 5mm length difference is hardly a 'glaring' shape error. It is barely noticeable for most people. Unless someone goes to the extreme and specifically takes a ruler and measures the built up model and compares it to a drawing...

Extreme ideologies, in any regard, never end well  in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you’ve ever competed at shows you’d know that wasn't true. One of the many reasons why I quit competing. 

That's right, model building is a hobby, not a competition for some🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, drake122 said:

But 5mm length difference is hardly a 'glaring' shape error. It is barely noticeable for most people.

I agree and disagree: it depends if those 5mm are spread all along the fuselage or localized (nose, front fuselage, etc).

I've received my kit today. The instructions were designed using the CAD model so I've taken a profile and overlayed it to the photo I've used previously. The match looks perfect to me.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, Tbolt said:

I can't speak for all IAF aircraft ( or photo accuracy and digital cameras have always struggled with accurate orange/red reproduction ), but obviously the colour on the indian flag is orange and this picture is the airframe markings from the kit. I don't have the kit and maybe they have got it orange, but it looks very similar to the red in the French markings in the picture of the decal sheet.

Mirage-2000-H-KF123-Takeoff-Roll.jpg

Regarding that I already order my Modelsvit kit *(from Hannants) so during this waiting due the normal (bad or worst) service at my local mail service. I wonder if the Italeri underfuselage pylons are well shaped and can be used also wondering about the right shape and dimension of the under fuselage Mica pylons

Well allow mo use the same stone and answer a couple of things,

I was comparing the Indian AF roundels from the Modelsvit, Misterkit (original kit issue by Heller)  and from the Italeri Sea Harrier (just for comparision) and all of them are orange, maybe not identical but clearly differtent from red

For the Italeri/Revel Mirage 2000C kit the mould also include 4 underwing in the fuselage joint maybe they better sorted for the prototype than the operational ones and they need to be trimmed for about 2.5 mm in height and are more steped on the front edge

I been comparing the Modelsvit, the Italeri and the Misterkit (Heller) and for my surprise the Heller canopy fits the canopy space of the Modelsvit and the Italeri. Also on the lenght there is not many diference about 1 or 2 mm.

The main issue on Italeri/Revell kits is the nose area in front of the canopy as is to wide (like 2 mm as its combed not straight)

The Misterkit (Heller) Matra 530 are shorter than the ones in the Special Hobby Mirage F.1 for about 3 mm (I never liked the Italeri or Heller missiles btw, as they look awful shape and weird wings or have too many flash

To my surprised WWG (wild wide guess) I made a short list of what to do to improve the Italeri

1. Replace all the missiles 

2. To fulfill all the lines in the nose cone

3. To add the join fuselage wings ventilation

4. To replace the over dorsal fuselage ventilation but using the Heller and Modelsvit as guide

5. To use wing fuel tanks (so I can trow away the 530) and use one ECM from Special Hobby Mirage F.1

6. Use Matra Magics 550 from Hasegawa Sepecat Jaguar as replacement

7. Use some ECM on Mirage 2000 Baracuda or Phimat

8. Indian AF serials for a Mirage 2000B and one AGM-170 Popeye PGM

Next steps

I need to scratchbuild  a replacement nose for the Misterkit/Heller one without pitot but radar streakes. A wing pylon for AM-39 Exocet to be use in Greek AF sample. Under fuselage Mica missiles pylon launchers

Taurus cruise missile pylon launcher

Regards

Armando

• Like 3