1/72 - Dassault Mirage 2000 family by Modelsvit - M2000C/-5F/D released - new M2000C boxing in April 2024

Homebee

13 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

At car shop of a friend of mine, random french car, torx screws, Bon Jovi Always, yes way Jose!

Inside their hangars, french airplane, standard screws?

On what kind of twisted world I'm living? Counter clockwise?

Luigi

They look like Phillips screws to me which are quite common on aircraft but you will find some Torx and quite a lot of Torq-set screws on other aircraft as well.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, Jabba said:

Neither do screws if they are meant to be them instead of rivets, sorry holes for rivets.

Actually looking more at the test shot pictures they are indeed representing screws, I don't think they have added any rivets at all.

So really adding a hole is the best way they could represent them in this scale, it's not like they could add tiny little crosses for the Phillips heads 😉

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Actually looking more at the test shot pictures they are indeed representing screws, I don't think they have added any rivets at all.

So really adding a hole is the best way they could represent them in this scale, it's not like they could add tiny little crosses for the Phillips heads 😉

If you look at the fin it's covered in dimples (again, not rivets, rivets do not leave a depression, they are either flush or proud).

How deep is the cross point in a Phillips headed screw?  Let's say about 5mm or 0.07mm in 1/72nd.

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

They look like Phillips screws to me which are quite common on aircraft but you will find some Torx and quite a lot of Torq-set screws on other aircraft as well.

Phillips screws tend to be the most commonly used type of screw, followed by slot head.  Most quick release fasteners are slot head but you do get Phillips versions too.

In 38 years of aircraft maintenance I've yet to see a Torx fastener on an aircraft, I'm not saying they're not out there, but I haven't seen them.

10 hours ago, Wez said:

)

If you look at the fin it's covered in dimples (again, not rivets, rivets do not leave a depression, they are either flush or proud).

How deep is the cross point in a Phillips headed screw?  Let's say about 5mm or 0.07mm in 1/72nd.

Phillips screws tend to be the most commonly used type of screw, followed by slot head.  Most quick release fasteners are slot head but you do get Phillips versions too.

In 38 years of aircraft maintenance I've yet to see a Torx fastener on an aircraft, I'm not saying they're not out there, but I haven't seen them.

I don't know why you keep saying "not rivets, rivets do not leave a depression, they are either flush or proud", I know what a rivet looks like, why call them panel lines on a kit as they are not actually panel lines and they are not trenches on the real thing? 😉 Anyway I think what they are representing on the fin are all Phillips head screws ( at least most of them, I don't think they planned to represent rivets ), again I don't think they have added any "rivet" ( the quotes are to keep you happy 😉 ) holes to this kit.

As for the size of a Phillips in 1/72, the point of a hole to represent them is because they often show up on the real aircraft unlike a flush rivet head which are barely visible normally. Obviously they couldn't get them to scale just like there's many things they can't like with panel lines canopy thickness etc, it's obviously a compromise. I'm happy if they only represent screws and quick release fasteners as long as they are subtle.

From what I've seen slotted head screws are not that common except on quick release fasteners, but Phillips are also very common here. But it obviously depends on the type, Airbus mainly use Torq-set.

Of the top of my head one place that uses Torx are some of the acoustic lining panel in a CF6 intake.

7 hours ago, Wez said:

Phantoms had Hi-torq fasteners which were fun to remove if they had been fitted a long while. I also think if my memory serves me well that there were some fitted to Nimrods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

So, next boxing - ref. 72072 - Dassault Mirage 2000-5F

165307716-1796754970491924-9818856583874

V.P.

Although the current boxing seems to have all the parts necessary in order to make a Dash 5, I'll be ordering 3 more of this one. It's Mirage heaven this year. 😎

On 3/21/2021 at 12:24 AM, Wez said:

In 38 years of aircraft maintenance I've yet to see a Torx fastener on an aircraft,

Check out the 787, they’re all over that thing!  But you gotta use torx plus, or you strip out the screw head with regular torx....

Speaking of Mirage 2000’s, are the Peruvian birds bespoke versions or can I use the Modelsvit kit?

Best regards....Duncan 

Interesting box opener from Xanatahos.

Regarding the decal sheet and from my documentation, the Mirage 2000 Kinetic 1/48 decal sheet and other

Mirage 2000 aftermarket decals, should the six French, six Greek and six Indian national roundels be all six of

the same dimensions ?

This does not seem to be the case with the Modelsvit 1/72 decals.

🙂

SharkOwl

20 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

Looks good.

Except the italian decals.

Italian decals always look good but in these ones the green is too pale.

Regardless of the plane.🤣

Edited by Robertone139
added text

53 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

Italian decals always look good but in these ones the green is too pale.

Regardless of the plane.🤣

Of course they are not Italian, they are meant to be Indian, but they seemed to have used red instead of orange so they look more like Italian markings.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

Unless I have missed it, when will the kit be available at hobby stores? Any specific date to start looking?

Any moment now, the Big H are advertising them as a future release

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage 2000C/EG/5F by Modelsvit - M2000C released - next M2000-5F

21 hours ago, Wez said:

Any moment now, the Big H are advertising them as a future release

Cheers Vez.

The price seems a bit high but, let's wait a while and see. I keep my fingers crossed for Plastmodel to offer us a better price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I put an order to Hannants last Friday because they just message the availability of the Modelsvit AMD Mirage 2000C, so I got one of those plus some other stuff (to be honest I also have order 2 Heller Mirage 2000 C and 1 Mirage 2000N  from Kingkit, then I'll keep you posted which of them arrive here down the border in middle of Bananas Republics at the other side of the pond

Regards

Armando

• Like 1

Mine arrived from the Big H today and its a fine looking kit, I'm no expert on the Mirage family but this kit, for 1/72, is packed with detail. I had already purchased the EA version of the Mirage III a few weeks ago and when I saw the quality of that kit the 2000 was too tempting.

Colour option 2 for me, that French machine in the sand/tan looks lovely. 

Eng

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 9:53 PM, MiG-Mech said:

Concerning the "italian" decals, there is an indian photographer on instagram, and some of the roundels look very reddish. 

https://instagram.com/deb_rana?igshid=e5bh6m2gipac

I can't speak for all IAF aircraft ( or photo accuracy and digital cameras have always struggled with accurate orange/red reproduction ), but obviously the colour on the indian flag is orange and this picture is the airframe markings from the kit. I don't have the kit and maybe they have got it orange, but it looks very similar to the red in the French markings in the picture of the decal sheet.

Mirage-2000-H-KF123-Takeoff-Roll.jpg

Mine arrived on Friday and I'm generally very pleased with it, the divots on the fin will have to be filled and I can confirm, the Indian roundels definitely look red not orange, good job I've got the Bright Spark decals to overcome that if I needed to however, mine is scheduled to receive some Model Art decals in the French Fancy 2 GB starting in July.

• Like 2