1/72 - Dassault Mirage 2000 family by Modelsvit - M2000C/-5F/D released - new M2000C boxing in April 2024

Homebee

On 2/1/2021 at 6:14 AM, CharlieGolf2009 said:

With a little bit of work and patience (scratchbuilding pylons and getting launch rails and missiles from the spares box or another kit), it's possible to represent the Indian Air Force Mirage 2000H with the russian Vympel R-73's. 😉

spacer.png

Hi there

Well I normally do 1/72 scale models and from time to time I found that actual aircraft have damaged roundels/markings and always have wonder if that is really possible to do. I clearly remember that once I was told that you do that with sandpaper but I always wonder if it really can be done that way or is another trick

BTW look here I just find that Indian Mirage 2000 can launch israeli missile Popeye

https://www.facebook.com/IndianDefenceFacts/posts/indian-air-force-mirage-2000-utilizes-the-popeye-air-to-surface-missile-to-hit-t/1954218801496886/

Regards

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER
forgot to mention someting

• 2 weeks later...

Some news and upgrades from FFSMC for Mirage 2000 :

- the only three Mirage 2000-5F of the Lorraine escadron de chasse between November 2010 and March 2011

149845500_793911634549320_84177762848053

https://www.facebook.com/356788401594981/posts/793911691215981/

- New booklet for the foreign Mirage 2000 allowing Mirage 2000EM, Mirage 2000H also with green-ocher paint scheme, Mirage 2000-5EI and -5EDA

148756099_791200001487150_70886063471220

https://www.facebook.com/356788401594981/posts/791200031487147/

150221493_793213437952473_67431772714199

https://www.facebook.com/356788401594981/posts/793213507952466/

Edited by eclipse
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage 2000C/EG/5F by Modelsvit - 3D renders+sprues+box art+schemes +decals+test build - M2000C release in March 2021

Hey guys! There is this photo of a test build as well. I took a look at it and the fuselage spine shape looks kind of strange to me. As if it is more...raised than it should be? Looks a bit humpbacked. Is everyone else can see the same or maybe it's just some kind of an optical illusion plus the fact that the test model in this picture is without a canopy? 
https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/photos/pcb.2918123865123312/2918121605123538

58 minutes ago, DenKhorosh said:

Hey guys! There is this photo of a test build as well. I took a look at it and the fuselage spine shape looks kind of strange to me. As if it is more...raised than it should be? Looks a bit humpbacked. Is everyone else can see the same or maybe it's just some kind of an optical illusion plus the fact that the test model in this picture is without a canopy? 
https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/photos/pcb.2918123865123312/2918121605123538

I'm going with optical illusion, a bit of shortening of the view.

I'm a bit disappointed by the dimples on the surface (they're dimples, not rivets, rivets don't leave a dimple), I'll have to make sure they're flush.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I'm a bit disappointed by the dimples on the surface (they're dimples, not rivets, rivets don't leave a dimple), I'll have to make sure they're flush.

Neither do screws if they are meant to be them instead of rivets, sorry holes for rivets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wez said:

I'm going with optical illusion, a bit of shortening of the view.

Looking at a real 2000 I'm not sure I agree as these fasteners on top of the wing appear to be where there is a double skin and there is a recess around them.

Have a close look at the fastener here on top of the wing.

mirage_dirty.jpg

I couldn't find a closer shot of the underside so I'm not sure if they are the same fasteners but they are still quite noticeable with some dirt build up.

gray-jet-fighter-dassault-mirage-2000-fl

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Looking at a real 2000 I'm not sure I agree as these fasteners on top of the wing appear to be where there is a double skin and there is a recess around them.

Have a close look at the fastener here on top of the wing.

You're mixing apples with oranges.  Those will be quick release fasteners, for one they're considerably bigger than a rivet (2 to 4 times the diameter, so 12.5 to 50 times the area).  Due to the design you have a recess for the fastener then the raised surface of the fastener itself.  If you look at the photos of the model in the earlier link, you'll see lines of depressions that are meant to represent rivets, this is most notable on the fin, they are not there on the real aircraft.

A rivet has either a flush or a proud head but never a depression, most high speed aircraft have flush rivets.  The surface drag caused by such depressions would be horrendous!

Panel lines are present on real aircraft, after all, aircraft are not currently 3D printed and are made from a number of structures brought together which leave the panel lines, Modelsvit does a great job of capturing these real features, unfortunately, the depressions they use to represent rivets are not a reality.  In 38 years of working in aircraft maintenance, I've never seen a rivet leave a depression as represented in kits.

I'll be getting the kit, it's the most accurate Mirage 2000 in 1/72nd, unfortunately, I feel compelled to do something about those depressions, something I shouldn't have to do.:(

1 hour ago, Wez said:

A rivet has either a flush or a proud head but never a depression, most high speed aircraft have flush rivets.  The surface drag caused by such depressions would be horrendous!

In 38 years of working in aircraft maintenance, I've never seen a rivet leave a depression as represented in kits.

The only depression you will get on an aircrafts skin is the countersink for the flush rivet to fit into.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jabba said:

The only depression you will get on an aircrafts skin is the countersink for the flush rivet to fit into.

So speaks a knowledgeable airframe technician skilled in airframe metal work.

13 hours ago, Wez said:

You're mixing apples with oranges.  Those will be quick release fasteners, for one they're considerably bigger than a rivet (2 to 4 times the diameter, so 12.5 to 50 times the area).  Due to the design you have a recess for the fastener then the raised surface of the fastener itself.  If you look at the photos of the model in the earlier link, you'll see lines of depressions that are meant to represent rivets, this is most notable on the fin, they are not there on the real aircraft.

Panel lines are present on real aircraft, after all, aircraft are not currently 3D printed and are made from a number of structures brought together which leave the panel lines, Modelsvit does a great job of capturing these real features, unfortunately, the depressions they use to represent rivets are not a reality.  In 38 years of working in aircraft maintenance, I've never seen a rivet leave a depression as represented in kits.

I'll be getting the kit, it's the most accurate Mirage 2000 in 1/72nd, unfortunately, I feel compelled to do something about those depressions, something I shouldn't have to do.:(

No I'm not. All I was talking about was the difference between what's on the model and the real thing and all I said was fasteners I didn't say anything about rivets.

What I obviously did misunderstand was what you were talking about on the model - since you quoted the latest images in which the rivet holes are not really visible,  I thought you were talking about the line of rings which I don't think are quick release fasteners on the real thing, they look like screws to me (most of them along the wing to body fairing anyway). What does look strange to me is these screws on the wing to body fairing seem to be a ring on the underside and raised on the upper side on the kit?

But we are on the same page when it comes to the representation of rivets on models, I don't like them either (in the smaller scales anyway, larger scales can look okay if done right) but I know they are there to represent a mark for when you get paint movement/dirt build up making the rivet head visible but it just looks way over done on models - just stick to the clearly visible fasteners in this scale. I do get annoyed when some people talk about the rivets on a kit when there's not a single rivet hole on it as they are either representations of screws or quick release fasteners 🙄

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

But we are on the same page when it comes to the representation of rivets on models, I don't like them either (in the smaller scales anyway, larger scales can look okay if done right) but I know they are there to represent a mark for when you get paint movement/dirt build up making the rivet head visible but it just looks way over done on models - just stick to the clearly visible fasteners in this scale. I do get annoyed when some people talk about the rivets on a kit when there's not a single rivet hole on it as they are either representations of screws or quick release fasteners 

We certainly are in agreement there

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wez said:

We certainly are in agreement there

Just for interest the "ring" fasteners, on the underside anyway - I couldn't find a close up pictures on the top, are screws and I'm guessing the top ones are at least mostly the same.

2021-03-19_07-55-27

2021-03-19_07-56-05

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

I have a friendly question for Tbolt !

What are the exact dimensions of a rivet at 1/72 scale ?

🙂

SharkOwl

Exact? Obviously rivet sizes vary, but in 1/72 for a solid countersunk rivet you are looking around 0.06mm to 0.13mm. In certain area they can be a bit bigger than this but don't forget making a hole on a model looks a lot more obviously that the fine ring that a rivet head gives you so ideally you would want a hole on your model to be smaller than this so it doesn't look huge.

The most common rivet on an aircraft is 1/8th or 3.2mm (3.3 for clearance) for metric sizes. So this is the size of the hole into which the rivet fits, with the countersink head being slightly larger possibly about 5mm. So this is very small in 1/72nd.

4 minutes ago, Jabba said:

The most common rivet on an aircraft is 1/8th or 3.2mm (3.3 for clearance) for metric sizes. So this is the size of the hole into which the rivet fits, with the countersink head being slightly larger possibly about 5mm. So this is very small in 1/72nd.

Or 0.07 of a mm in 1/72nd.

Hallo, gentlemen,

Having recently put my hands on the MIIIEA from this manufacturer, I can hardly wait for this issue. However, I hope that a two seater is being planned for the near future; a M2000N/D would be great. We only have the Revell offering which can be built but it is a couple generations back.

Anyone has any gossip on this?

Fernando

On 3/19/2021 at 9:00 PM, Tbolt said:

Just for interest the "ring" fasteners, on the underside anyway - I couldn't find a close up pictures on the top, are screws and I'm guessing the top ones are at least mostly the same.

2021-03-19_07-55-27

2021-03-19_07-56-05

At car shop of a friend of mine, random french car, torx screws, Bon Jovi Always, yes way Jose!

Inside their hangars, french airplane, standard screws?

On what kind of twisted world I'm living? Counter clockwise?

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite