Dumb question

Alpha Juliet

Hope you don’t mind me asking but when using Vallejo Acrylic paints, am I meant to be sealing with varnish at some point?  The paint seems fragile and rubs off easily. At what point should I seal? After painting but before weathering? After any new colour is added?  It’s all new to me - 40 plus years ago since I last did anything like this.  All hints and tips welcomed.

AJ

I seal vallejo and Ammo by Mig paints after i spray them. Before i mask up for the next color. Unless I'm free-handing the camouflage. Tamiya sand gunze are more resilient yet can still be vulnerable if the paint was over thinned or if your surface prep wasn't 100%.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2019 at 22:41, Steve Noble said:

Are you using any primer before the Vallejo paints? Never had them rub off before, unless I've handled them really excessively..

I use the Vallejo grey primer.  Maybe it's my sweaty hands!

On 14/07/2019 at 23:36, azureglo said:

Much obliged to you sir!

On 15/07/2019 at 02:58, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I seal vallejo and Ammo by Mig paints after i spray them. Before i mask up for the next color. Unless I'm free-handing the camouflage. Tamiya sand gunze are more resilient yet can still be vulnerable if the paint was over thinned or if your surface prep wasn't 100%.  

Noted, with thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Adrian 

Vallejo paint is a bit tricky. First you should clean all your parts with some mild soap and water, because Vallejo paints react pourly to the mold release agents that model companys use on there plastic.

Than you should always use primer I try to use Vallejo,  but there are others. White, grey or black depending on what the final color will be. Small parts that won't be getting a final coat of color you can paint with out primer. Next add some Vallejo thinner to your paint cup, then add a drop of there flow improver then add the color mix and spray. For clean up use there airbrush cleaner to clean your airbrush. After you let the paint dry properly, I usually give it a day. You can gloss clear coat before decals. Add decals and when dry. Final coat with matte varnish. This is how I do all my planes and I pretty much use Vallejo paints only as I can't use enamel or lacquer due to health issues.

Ron G 

• Like 1