Bf109 E1 Armament

Dave Spencer

Hi,

I am currently converting the Hasegawa 1/48 Bf109 E3 to an E1 which involves removal of the 20mm guns and drilling holes further inboard for the 7.92mm. My question is, do I remove the panel lines for the removable 20mm panel at the wing leading edge, too?

Edited by Dave Spencer
Spelling mistake

E-1s and E-3s were built along side one another on the same assembly lines, and the E-1 had the panel for the 20mm like the the E-3.  Close inspection of the photo below shows the panel on an E-1 (outboard of the MG port).

spacer.png

This might be old news to you Dave, but the kit has those underwing bulges that are typical of all MG-FF wing cannons (due to the ammunition drums of the cannon), not present on the E-1 version. In its place the E-1 had a maintenance hatch, square if I recall correctly. 

Thanks very much for the help. 

Holzhamer - yes I have had great fun hacking away the cannon bulges. Hasegawa actually provided resin inserts to fit in to the bulges from the inside of the wing to help with filing them back.

Great pic Vonbraun!

About the MG FF panel lines around the wing  leading edge, I should have checked this yesterday as I have Eduard's Royal boxing of the Emil.  They have the same upper wing halves utilized on all versions (E-1 ,E-3 ,E-4, E-7).  Only the bottom is different for the E-1.  For the area in question, the underside has no panel lines, just rows of rivets - I think this detail may be incomplete?

With the photo posted by Vonbraun, there is no doubt the E-1 had this access/maintenance panel present.  Assuming this cover was unchanged through the course of the Emil's life (except for the hole created to allow the mg cannon to protrude out), then it should have panel lines on the underside as well.

Here are some close-ups of said panel on an E-3, and as can be seen,  the top and bottom portions should be pretty much equal in depth:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=149

149-4.jpg

149-37.jpg

149-38.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1