Hello all... Im going to be building a P-47D of the 201st Fighter Squadron Mexican Air Force. Stationed at Clark field April 1945. I will be using the Revell 1/72 P-47 kit for this.  hv2JNzV.jpg

I will be using these Decals from Aztec models. 

SRK9EB3.jpg

Like my recent Bearcat build these decals are a gift from @RidgeRunner and are very much appreciated. While talking about the decals i presumed i was just going to get the ones for my plane. Nope he sent me the whole set minus the ones he needed. Needless to say i was very shocked when i saw them, however the benefit will result in a Cuban P-47 as well in the near future( just need to by another kit). This will be a slower build as I've currently got five builds on the go, and the other four are for group builds. This will be a fill in build while something is drying/setting  in those builds. Questions, comments, good stories, and or thoughts are welcome.

Dennis

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody.. So I spent the majority of this afternoon working on this. Not a bad little kit, i can see a few more of these in my collection soon. I painted up the office and some other stuff like wheels and prop. 

eA8P1qZ.jpg

After it had dried for a few hours i came back to this after sanding my F-4EJ Build. This evening i glued the cockpit in and the fuselage together. 

KVbn4G6.jpg

MCWFk7r.jpg

I will get back to this in between rounds of sanding and building ordnance for my ongoing Frog Buccaneer build. The 109 is my "Pips" Priller E7 build, it is ready for paint but I'm waiting until the Two F-4 phantoms are ready. That way i can just do a few massive painting sessions. Questions, comments, thoughts, or good jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Hello all... This thing goes together surprisingly well. I glued the wings on last night and no filler will be needed at all there. Theres a little spot on the spine right behind the office and another on the fillet for the tail. A sinkhole had been formed when the plastic was injected into the mold so that received a dab of filler. NShRCTC.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good start, glad the old kit is still a good 'un.

That last pic shows what a beast the P-47 was in comparison to the nimble 109. Reminds me of another Republic monster, the F-105 compared to its contemporary, the MiG-21.

Good choice of scheme too, looking forward to the result.

Alan

• Thanks 1

That’s coming along nicely! I enjoyed building my Revell p-47, it’s a good kit, I would mirror the comment about the engine and also the engine cowl probably the only tricky bit.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Hello all... Well i have been slowly working on this in between other builds. As of today this is where i am at. ek764vV.jpg

I painted the rudder and cowling white today. The rudder is a base so the decals will look better. The cowling as these had a white scalloped decorative nose. 

eg4blBt.jpg

CZ4dGcM.jpg

Dennis

• Like 2

Love to se more Revell P-47D builds!

It's really an nice little kit that comes toghether with almost no problems at all.

Following with interest!

Cheers / André

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andre B said:

Love to se more Revell P-47D builds!

It's really an nice little kit that comes toghether with almost no problems at all.

Following with interest!

Cheers / André

One coming up in two weeks with nose art...

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Hey Dennis, I screwed one of these together recently and am about to do another one in two weeks, no observations beyond, weird rear canopy brace/make-it-slide bit did not even vaguely fit on mine and clearance between engine and cowl was tight but OK.

You need to give some thought on how to keep the olvide drab panel matt if you're doing a final gloss seal of the NMF/Decals. I went for Alclad paint /decal/Alclad gloss and then sprayed the matt OD over the masked plane  with sealed decals but I low baked it first and let it cure ( Alclad Aqua has a cure time  i.e maximum hardness/chemically bonded of at least 3 days  at ambient or 4-6 hours at 40 Centigrade low bake). Failure to get the gloss coat hard means mucho decalo detacho senor!

Alternately why not paint all the non NMF bits, mask them and finish of the NMF/Decal/seal coat?

Here's my attempt: BTW Mexico had/has an air force,? Well whaddya know!

1port1.JPG&key=4bc9dfdb1c934a4348a5590d2

• Like 2

Thanks for the help I love to use Alclad but is out of my $ range at the moment. I had planned on using the canopy slider thingy but clip the bottom off as i glue my canopies in the open position. I will tape my anti glare panel on this. Ive already sanded the cylinder heads down and the cowling fits well. Great looking Jug. Will be happy if mine turns out half as good. In case you're curious ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/201st_Fighter_Squadron_(Mexico)

Dennis

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks for the help I love to use Alclad but is out of my $ range at the moment. I had planned on using the canopy slider thingy but clip the bottom off as i glue my canopies in the open position. I will tape my anti glare panel on this. Ive already sanded the cylinder heads down and the cowling fits well. Great looking Jug. Will be happy if mine turns out half as good. In case you're curious ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/201st_Fighter_Squadron_(Mexico)

Dennis

Cool link on the Mexican Af, some fine looking Senors there! Re the canopy brace in mine it actually fouled the raised slot so if you attached it to the canopy minus sticky down bit ( which I also hacked  off) the rear canopy was 1mm off the fuselage...a dry fit is essential. The Alclad is pricey, some folk think it's a good deal for the 30ml bottle but 90% of that is lacquer thinner + voodoo retarders, I get through quite a few now I'm on a NMF trip so wise move.

Anil

• Thanks 1

I have a good friend swears by alclad as well. So maybe when i have some money i may try it, I'm considering a sotar as my next brush because I've read a lot of your posts on them. I build a lot of german planes and the mottles is usually where i get stuck. My brush isn't the best for them. Just depends on wether i get the confidence to purchase.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Morning everyone. So the Jug is black based for the aluminum.

UqsWx1F.jpg

I glossed the area where i will be masking off the theater bands. The cowling is painted black as well just forgot to photograph it.

X8JhvKN.jpg

aAnD7x7.jpg

e2AyMki.jpg

Questions, comments, stories, or good jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a good friend swears by alclad as well. So maybe when i have some money i may try it, I'm considering a sotar as my next brush because I've read a lot of your posts on them. I build a lot of german planes and the mottles is usually where i get stuck. My brush isn't the best for them. Just depends on wether i get the confidence to purchase.  

You need to put some time in to get it right: I use a paint mix which is 80-90% Mr Leveling thinner, set the Sotar Micrometer to 3 and PSi so low the gauge needle doesn't move but I can hear the hiss from the nozzle: Every five or ten mottles, there's a shot glass of cheap lacquer thinner the Sotar nose gets dipped in and then a quick blast to disperse the excess thinner. Using this method I did this mottle in about 15 minutes both sides including stripping and cleaning the brush. Oh and the paint is critical, Mr Color or Mr Paint thinned as I described:

stbd1.JPG&key=21bc8fc24b4b2cba01c1e6651e

Re the black basing, I don't think you need to bother  if using Alclad unless you're doing Chrome: Look my Jug, P51D, Spit 22 & PRXIX Whiffer, they positively gleam and thats straight onto unsanded Surfacer 1500 thats a light gray: there's a myth that the colour underneath comes through, not true as I wet coat alclad to maximum opacity. The semi transparent thing is when do you candy flake colours by spraying metallic over solid colours like red or orange and good luck on getting those right!

Black basing is a more of a neat alternative to pre-shade i.e.

https://tinyurl.com/yyk9sjvd

But I think you know my feelings on weathering 'n  preshading....

Anil 

• Like 1

Hello everybody... Well i sprayed the Aluminum on the jug today.

dMg0ZlP.jpg

I know the wing stripes look like they angle out but they are following panel lines and look straight to the natural eye. 

p1Wch2l.jpg

The cowling is only placed here for photo's i still need to paint the O.D. Anti-glare panel on the cowling and fuselage. Once thats done i can de-mask the scallops on the cowling. 

wU0UJEY.jpg

vR8Ua4j.jpg

Dennis

• Like 3

4 hours ago, azureglo said:

that aluminium looks a bit gritty:

Id like to agree with you but Tamiya aluminum is hit or miss. The surface is already smooth it looks gritty but its smooth ? Im thinking its the way the paint is made. Thats one of the reasons i am looking for a new metal paint by the way. This was also the dregs of the bottle so may not have been the best quality to use ? 

Some times it comes out smooth like on my B-18 & F-84 and other times it looks like this. Mind you i had to re-spray my F-94 5 times because the paint continually had issues. You must also remember the cowling is only partially painted as it has a liquid mask that will be removed once the Anti-glare panel is done. 

Dennis

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id like to agree with you but Tamiya aluminum is hit or miss.

Is that xf16? If it is I have found it doesn't mix consitantly if just shaken needs stiring before shaking lots.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Is that xf16? If it is I have found it doesn't mix consitantly if just shaken needs stiring before shaking lots.

Yes it is and i did stir it for approx. one minute. Thats what i mean about it being hit or miss. The Rattlecan aluminum is way better but my one attempt at decanting covered me with more paint and ruined a glass spray jar. So i just wont attempt to decant again. This is from the same spray session yesterday. 43t2rDa.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Morning everyone... well i chose to buff the color and it helped a little. I then painted the anti-glare, and finished off some little things tonight. I have to paint the trim on the scallops tomorrow theres debate wether it was black or red ? If you have thoughts on the subject please let me know ? Im angling for red as the prop hub was red on the plane. 

Dennis

Evening all... Well i unwrapped the cowling and mocked up the plane for photo's. vi0FjHF.jpg

sIlvLAD.jpg

SV0Z9ut.jpg

EhCaUOE.jpg

Will be moving on to decals soon with this. There will be a slight pause for family obligations over the next few days ( Memorial for an Uncle). No condolences please, we hadn't gotten along for many years. Its more obligatory than sorrow that i go. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everyone... My apologies for any delays on this. I attended a family Memorial on Sunday and became very ill and close to going to hospital while there. Im just taking a few days off to recover and then i will be back at it

Dennis

Evening Dennis,

Only just seen this build. Been enjoying it too. Hope you feel better soon.

Quick question, have you or are you doing the white bands on both sides of the black bands? They are both on the fuselage and wings. There's also a very thin red line around the white of the cowling iirc. Would be a right pita to do.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind Regards

Dazz

11 minutes ago, Dazzio said:

Quick question, have you or are you doing the white bands on both sides of the black bands? They are both on the fuselage and wings.

Yes i will get around to them tomorrow or next day. As they're thin i will pinstripe brush them. 

11 minutes ago, Dazzio said:

There's also a very thin red line around the white of the cowling iirc. Would be a right pita to do.

Already done I just haven't posted a photo of it yet. Here it is ...

c9QDldD.jpg

StLUKvb.jpg

OacLEn6.jpg

qW5H8KW.jpg

not the best but its as good as i can do. I will also add the white horizontal bar on the vertical stab for the plane # in this case most likely 16. 

Dennis

• Like 1