Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Rob de Bie

F-84F Thunderstreak ATO bottle rack

Recommended Posts

Monogram provides a set of four bottles in its 1/48 kit, but forgot the rack that these bottles mount to. With a lot of photo manipulation I created the following rough sketch of the rack. But there's too much guessing involved to start scratch-building it. Where oh where can I find real dimensional data of this rack?? Any help is welcome.     

 

f84f-63.jpg

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a couple of books on the F-84 and have had a look through them but the few images of the F-84F with the bottles fitted are not clear enough to show any detail of the jettisonable rack to which they are fitted.

 

However in F-84/RF-84F Thunderstreak - Thunderflash by Robert 'Robbie' Robinson and published by Merlin Massara Publishing in 2015 there are two of the author's own drawings.

 

One of these looking from the forward face of the bottles aft shows a square looking frame to which the bottles are fitted with a separate section attached to the forward end which seems to be as long as the square area but curving in and up to a point at its foremost edge.   

 

The other drawing looking from the jet nozzles on the bottles forward shows a three-part generally square looking frame consisting of a rectangular centre section with a curved arm either side to which the four bottles are attached but stops short of showing anything forward of that. 

 

Taken together they essentially show what you have drawn above but with the rear section being more square/rectangular in shape and the forward section being of roughly the same length and tapering forwards from full width to a point.

Edited by Des
added a 'a'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Des said:

I have a couple of books on the F-84 and have had a look through them but the few images of the F-84F with the bottles fitted are not clear enough to show any detail of the jettisonable rack to which they are fitted.

 

However in F-84/RF-84F Thunderstreak - Thunderflash by Robert 'Robbie' Robinson and published by Merlin Massara Publishing in 2015 there are two of the author's own drawings.

 

One of these looking from the forward face of the bottles aft shows a square looking frame to which the bottles are fitted with a separate section attached to the forward end which seems to be as long as the square area but curving in and up to a point at its foremost edge.   

 

The other drawing looking from the jet nozzles on the bottles forward shows a three-part generally square looking frame consisting of a rectangular centre section with a curved arm either side to which the four bottles are attached but stops short of showing anything forward of that. 

 

Taken together they essentially show what you have drawn above but with the rear section being more square/rectangular in shape and the forward section being of roughly the same length and tapering forwards from full width to a point.

Des, thanks for your response! I didn't know about the book by Robert 'Robbie' Robinson, I'll look for it.  Is he the British U-2 pilot? Thanks for the description of what you see in the drawings. Are these drawings three-quarter views? I don't know a better description unfortunately. Many 'In Action' booklets have similar drawings to point out details of the aircraft. 


Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob de Bie said:

Des, thanks for your response! I didn't know about the book by Robert 'Robbie' Robinson, I'll look for it.  Is he the British U-2 pilot? Thanks for the description of what you see in the drawings. Are these drawings three-quarter views? I don't know a better description unfortunately. Many 'In Action' booklets have similar drawings to point out details of the aircraft. 


Rob

The blurb on the back says that he was an RAF serviceman originally from Cornwall to which he had returned at the time the book was written but other than mentioning that he was stationed in East Anglia in 1959 gives no further information on his service.

 

The drawings are slightly off sideview , not quite so angled as the three-quarter views in Squadron Signal publications.

 

Quick search came up with this PDF sample of the book which unfortunately does not include the page in question  -  https://www.gmpub.co.uk/sites/default/files/samples/Thunderstreak-sample-pages.pdf?width=90%&height=90%&iframe=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 11:41 PM, Des said:

The blurb on the back says that he was an RAF serviceman originally from Cornwall to which he had returned at the time the book was written but other than mentioning that he was stationed in East Anglia in 1959 gives no further information on his service.

 

The drawings are slightly off sideview , not quite so angled as the three-quarter views in Squadron Signal publications.

 

Quick search came up with this PDF sample of the book which unfortunately does not include the page in question  -  https://www.gmpub.co.uk/sites/default/files/samples/Thunderstreak-sample-pages.pdf?width=90%&height=90%&iframe=true

Thanks, now I've got a good idea of the type of drawings! I'm afraid they will not tell me the dimensions of the rack. I'm afraid there are not many left. The Brussels museum one has one, but arranging access might be problematic.

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...