Hobbycraft 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury "MiG Killer"

This is the old 1/48 Hobbycraft kit.  A model that's at least 10 years old now.🙂   It’s pretty much an OOB build, although I did detail the cockpit a little, and I added some doo-dads to detail the landing gear and bays. I used a vac-canopy from Squadron, the dark gray is Humbrol, the Sky type -S is ModelMaster enamel. The stripes were done in MM acrylic flat-white and a custom-mixed dark gray with Humbrol. Cannons are hypo tubing inside brass tube. Decals are the AeroMaster “Sea Fury Pt. 1” 48-702 set. I had a lot of trouble with the canopy; I had a hard time fitting it, and after it was finally attached I saw a lot of crap inside the canopy and a nice big glue smear-inside too of course. Oh well, I was really tired of fighting this one at that point and let it go as it was. All in all, it turned out as another pretty fair “four footer”.   At least I hope it looks good from 4 feet away.  😉

The model represents Lt. Peter "Hoagy" Carmichael's Sea Fury, of 802 Naval Air Squadron, flying from HMS Ocean.  For years, he was credited with downing a MiG-15 on August 9, 1952.  However, now it seems that the MiG was actually downed by his wingman, Sub Lt. Brian "Schmoo" Ellis.   From the attached article:

"In the four minutes of air combat, it was a MiG ‘kill’ and two or three damaged, probably beyond repair. It became a cause célèbre in the Fleet Air Arm. Many Sea Fury pilots were disappointed for Schmoo Ellis, who kept his own counsel on the matter even when flight leader Carmichael was awarded the victory."

So, with that said, here’s Lt. Peter Carmichael’s MiG Killer Sea Fury, at an unlikely stop in central Texas.   Hey, thanks for taking time to look her over and please leave a comment!

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/sea-fury-vs-mig-15-the-true-story/ 

PICT3830.jpg

PICT3834.jpg

PICT3836.jpg

PICT3838.jpg

PICT3839.jpg

PICT3842.jpg

PICT3845.jpg

PICT3846.jpg

PICT3849.jpg

PICT3851.jpg

PICT3831.jpg

PICT3832-CROPPED.jpg

Edited by Gary Brantley
forget the added info
  • Like 28

43 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done Sea Fury. :worthy:... I never knew one of these shot down a Mig. 

Thanks brother! 🍺  The Sea Fury was something else; one of the ultimate piston-engined birds I guess.  Thanks so much for the comment! 😀

5 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Nicely done Gary. Being Hobbycraft  I can believe it was a battle to get it that good. They are not easy kits.

Thanks Greg! 😀 Much appreciated my friend.  Yep, these Hobbycraft kits take some TLC and a good bit of patience.   Believe it or not, I've got another Hobbycraft kit in the queue...this time a dandy, the F-111E. 🤦‍♂️

Hi Gary,

another nice bit of classic plastic! The old Hobby craft kit certainly captures the brutal lines of the Sea Fury, and your rendition certainly looks the part. 

thanks for sharing, cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Gary,

another nice bit of classic plastic! The old Hobby craft kit certainly captures the brutal lines of the Sea Fury, and your rendition certainly looks the part. 

thanks for sharing, cheers Greg 👍

Classic plastic!  I love that Greg! 😀  Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated they are too! 🍻  The Sea Fury looked a bit odd to me when I first saw one, but the type soon grew on me. I love their lines and that brutal look.  I was thinking that the Typhoons and Tempests both had that as well🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, djos said:

Great story, together with beautiful model.

I like very much details and moderate weathering.

Best regards Djordje

Thank you Djordje!   Thanks for the nice comments, I really appreciate that!! 🍻

Before this thread rides off into the sunset, I'd like to thank everyone who "liked" the model with your reactions and of course, especially those who left a comment! 🍻   I appreciate the support, encouragement and valuable feedback received.   Many thanks from the heart of Texas!:worthy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great modelling Gary. I look forward to seeing more of your builds on the future.

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg!  Thanks a lot for that!!  I'll be posting a few more before too long.  I appreciate your support! 😀

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bar side said:

Always like a Sea Fury.  Great piston engined fighter in the age of the early jets.  And yours is very nice I deed.  Good effort sir

Thanks bar side!   I've always thought that it was so cool that a Sea Fury scored a kill against a jet opponent.   Many thanks again for your kind comments!🍺

Always loved the Sea Fury ever since watching TF956 display at Duxford back in the 70s. Lovely rendition Gary, some very neat paint and decal work there, from what I can see. 👍

Good work chap - looking forward to see what else you produce!

ATB
Rick