1/48 Monogram P-47D Bubbletop

Hello All,

Attached are some pictures of my completed vintage Monogram P-47 D Bubbletop. Not bad for a molding from 1967. It's not perfect but still turned out pretty good. The decals are Iliad from Canada. They were OK but they were a bit brittle and cracked at several spots.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and as always all comments are appreciated. 

All the Best!

Don

hmN3W6B.jpg

yZOhaFI.jpg

w8rgjE1.jpg

xBmYx0X.jpg

4xvOY2P.jpg

BXxaVE4.jpg

a8LHcCY.jpg

aXoIU0u.jpg

7qO1zcs.jpg

GqUHhnh.jpg

LuEqFW2.jpg

DbXc3Dq.jpg

dmG88rt.jpg

2jY0kWA.jpg

48SIsFJ.jpg

• Like 21

Superb job on a venerable oldtimer. I've got two of these which need some face-lifting, as you have done.

I just commented on the pleasures of tackling with vintage kits (see bottom of comment string):

You are one of those artists 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Superb job on a venerable oldtimer. I've got two of these which need some face-lifting, as you have done.

I just commented on the pleasures of tackling with vintage kits (see bottom of comment string):

You are one of those artists 😄

Thank you for the very kind words and that Toryu is fantastic...such a beautiful aircraft beautifully executed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

The tyres look smashing-- are they aftermarket or did you enhance the kit parts?  If they are from the kit could you explain your method?  I've never gotten such nice results.

Hi Jackson...thank you for the kind words. These are the kit parts. I tried to avoid using aftermarket unless the kit parts are unusable. The method is simple but takes a little time.

1. Trim the parts from the sprue and remove any alignment pins or rings...more often then not they do not do a good job anyway.

2. With a stiff file square up the mating surfaces so when you put the two halves together there are no gaps.

3. I then pre-glue the surfaces with Tamiya liquid cement. This gets the joint primed for the final gluing.

4. Then carefully align the parts keeping close attention to aligning tread pattern as best as possible.

5. Then run more cement along the seam.

6. Clamp the parts so some of the melted plastics extrudes from the joint. Let dry thoroughly.

7. Once dry I use a file to file the extruded plastic from the joint .

8. You should have a very tidy joint...but if there's a gap or two just use your favorite filler. Once dry sand clean.

9. Now that the joint is clean let's do the tread. I use a saw blade to go over each tread line from one side to the other. I do one tread direction all the way around then switch and do the other. It is time consuming but worth it.

10. Once you get both sides done sand the treads to clear the burrs then I use a old toothbrush to clear the sanding debris. I then use the quick drying Tamiya glue run through each tread line. If needed another light sanding and toothbrushing and that's about it.

Hope this helps.

Don

1 hour ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It does indeed.  I think the saw blade is the bit I've been missing.

The saw blade really let's you get clean definition...I'm glad it helps and good luck on your next attempt.

Don

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love it, that's such a good scheme on the Jug!

40183972803_888236b986_b.jpgThunderbolt by tony_inkster, on Flickr

Wow that is FANTASTIC...may I ask is that at Hendon ? I remember the roof trusses....but I don't recall seeing the JUG in that scheme...but it's been quite a few years. Thanks for sharing the picture. 

All the Best!

Don