1/72 Airfix Lunar Module

I was determined to build a lunar module before the 20th of this month - unfortunately Airfix haven't released the 50th Anniversary kit yet, so acquired the 40th anniversary edition - looks to me that the 50th anniversary edition won't be any different. I first built this kit way back in 1969, hopefully I've achieved a better result this time.

I've made a few modifications to the kit - the hatch was cut out & replaced by numerous layers of PVS until it looked right. I didn't use the foil in the kit - I bought gold & copper foil sweet wrappers on Ebay. The plume deflectors are attached to the 'down' nozzles in the kit - so these were cut apart & I made support frames for the deflectors  using stiff wire soldered together. I also used kitchen foil for the legs - these are backed with copper foil & have thin slivers of Kapton tape wrapped round them. The tape doesn't hold too well, so I'm re-fixing these with CA as they pop off.

The windows have a coating of Tamiya clear green painted on the inside.

For display purposes I have used the old round base - but some of the later pictures in here use the larger base to give a better depth to the images. The plinth was taken from Thingiverse & 3d printed.

Airfix 1/72 Lunar Module Airfix 1/72 Lunar Module

Airfix 1/72 Lunar Module Airfix 1/72 Lunar Module Plume deflector rig

Plinth printed for lem

• Like 19

Look's great Andy well done,never built a space subject before might have to put that right with all the recent re-releases out right now.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Amazing work! How did you do the silver edging? I see what looks like foil but the sides I’m not sure about. 

For the edges I used a fine tipped silver pen, and in some parts very finely cut pieces of tin foil

5 hours ago, andymoore said:

For the edges I used a fine tipped silver pen, and in some parts very finely cut pieces of tin foil

Thank you for the reply! I bought a paint pen but it puts down too much paint and I can’t find a finer tipped one.. what pen did you use for this? 

Missed this first time round. Lovely update on the original kit. I had a go at this on the 10th Anniversary (which shows MY age) but it turned out nothing like as good as this.

The main problem (there are others 😀) with the Airfix kit is the absence of the support struts for the downward firing RCS thrusters. Your solution is elegant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 1:40 AM, Majorjim said:

Thank you for the reply! I bought a paint pen but it puts down too much paint and I can’t find a finer tipped one.. what pen did you use for this? 

I've hunted high and low, but I suspect one of my kids may have borrowed the pen! It has been a while since I see it, but I would guess that it was a gundam product. If it ever resurfaces I'll let you know