F/A-18C incredible maneuvering

exdraken

some great maneuvering I have not seen yet on a classic hornet! more like Su-30, Su-35, S-57, maybe Raptor.... 

so "super", post-stall maneuverability is just a question of training and the pilot???

from around 3:00, and also before.. watch it all! ;) 

Swiss Airforce at RIAT 2018 :) 

credits to the Autor for course

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

Great video, thanks for sharing🙂

This is the stuff they originally started Top Gun for. Fly the aircraft momentarily out of the envelope, unload and return into controlled flight. And they started this kind of flying at NAS Miramar with the "hard wing" Phantoms!

I've never seen Finnish Air Force Hornets perform like this in air shows. But then again we have very strict rules for air show maneuvers.

Cheers,

Antti

5 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

The Swiss Hornets had a software update that resulted in more maneuverability, IIRC.

thanks for that info!

explains the one thing or other! 

I have seen Swiss and other F/A-18s dieplay several times, always impressive! but this video shows way more! :)

only software update..... somehow looks like the true potential of this plane is only available after they left  US Navy service!? can this be true? :shocked: 

can't be due to new software writing skills, no ;)

maybe the plane was unnecessarily constraint before?

4 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Great video, thanks for sharing🙂

This is the stuff they originally started Top Gun for. Fly the aircraft momentarily out of the envelope, unload and return into controlled flight. And they started this kind of flying at NAS Miramar with the "hard wing" Phantoms!

I've never seen Finnish Air Force Hornets perform like this in air shows. But then again we have very strict rules for air show maneuvers.

Cheers,

Antti

Great Britain has very tight airshow rules (at least for private jet planes...).... I do not expect that is the issue here...

Hornets have always had incredible maneuverability and could fly at insane AOA without departing! They took the legacy of their older F-5 brothers to a new level! Thanks so much for sharing the video!

Mike

If you were lucky enough to see the Northrop YF-17 fly, you will understand why this is still a very much cutting edge design.

Good as it is, this is a bit pedestrian compared to the Northrop test pilot.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

this is a bit pedestrian compared to the Northrop test pilot.

Gotta be Hank Chouteau, right? I wish I could have seen him wring the YF-17 out, but I have read accounts of the maneuvers he could perform flying it. A real stick and rudder man!

Mike

Started his display at Farnborough, pulled it off the runway and straight onto it's back, and proceeded downwind inverted. Never seen that done before or since. 4:30 in.

The trade day demo was a lot harsher than this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Now THAT is a fighter pilot and a hot ship!  And remember, that is the OLD F/A-18 Hornet (with possible software updates) that he is flying!  Truly impressive!

WARDOG

On 7/13/2019 at 9:44 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Started his display at Farnborough, pulled it off the runway and straight onto it's back, and proceeded downwind inverted. Never seen that done before or since. 4:30 in.

The trade day demo was a lot harsher than this.

wow! :thumbsup: maybe the 2nd best "Hornet" demo/ vid I have seen! very tight and a lot of verticals! and that 40+ years ago! I'd assume it was a LOT lighter than an operational C model is nowadays though. And I don't not see any momentary departure from controlled flight....

Edited by exdraken

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The YF-17 Cobra was smaller than the production F-18

Wasn't Lee Begin involved in the design of  the F-5, the YF-17, and the F-18...the man knew his way around fighter aircraft design. 

Mike

The original Hornet demonstrations were much more exciting than the later ones due to the AoA restrictions they put on them for air show safety reasons.  

Regards,

Murph

On 13/07/2019 at 12:24, Nocoolname said:

I wish 'I' could have a software update that would result in more maneuverability. 

Ditto!  getting a bit tired of tripping & falling over everything :S

It's a shame we don't get the same whooshing of the movies when we watch air displays.  As that video shows, all you tend to get is the same roar from behind the line that just gets louder or quieter a bit as it carries out its display.  Another example of where movies have spoiled us :shrug:

When I started the video; a local Chicago area radio station started playing the great Ozzy Osborne's "Crazy Train". It was perfect background music for the video.

Joe

9 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The validation display for the Finnish Hornet at RIAT yesterday was very impressive. 

last year was also already quite impressive! from ~ 1:40

top! so looking forward to more stuff from  2019! :)