YF-19, Macross Plus Hasegawa 1/72

Hi all, first work I'm posting on here. Relatively new modeler, this is probably my seventh completed build. Open to any critiques and constructive criticism! 

The model is of a YF-19 test jet/mecha (they call them variable fighters) from the anime Macross Plus. The story pits this conventionally controlled fighter against a neural-controlled YF-21 in test trials to see which would be the replacement for the current fleet fighter. 

The photos might hide some of the horrors, but from my own critical eye there's a noticeable amount of silvering in some decals, I butchered some areas I tried to re-scribe, and there are some joins that could have been puttied and sanded better. Also, I snapped apart one of the foot/engine nozzles, which is why they are uneven. 

I tried making my own stand for the first time, converting this to an in-flight model. This meant drilling a hole and plugging in a styrene tube to support a brass rod. It actually worked out pretty well, but it is very back heavy. I'm hoping the base I'm making for this will support it hah, but wanted to snap some photos first. 

In the stash is the 1/48 version of this plane, but I'm waiting for my skills to improve before I tackle it. Thinking a color closer to white for that one. This 1/72 version was good practice, and I will be building the YF-21 companion soon as well.

Stynylrez grey primer

Mission Model paints, Mission Model & Vallejo Metal Color for metals

Molotow Liquid Chrome pen & Tamiya clears for the lights

Mission Models gloss & Allclad Klear Kote Matte 

Mig enamel & mechanical pencil for panel lines (I generally like subtle panel line colors, but figured with an anime subject black was the right choice)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19

Hello Shin ...:post1: from Chicago. Great work on your Macross fighter. :thumbsup:...  I remember when that was a first run program on T.V. In the early 80's. I used to get up early before 6:00 am and watch it before getting ready for school. It was a favorite show of mine for many years. That of course got me hung up on mecha's and now Gundam's. I do need to look for it on DVD now. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis! I too grew up around the show, when it was rebranded Robotech and relaunched in the states. One great thing about this hobby is allowing us to harken back our childhood in a unique way. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...